Hey, Main Street

Started by Chrisowc, August 13, 2008, 09:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Any chance of clearing this up?

To quote another poster...

Following your clear disparagement elsewhere of the status of NI as a "country", "nationality" etc - fair enough, your interpretation, your opinion - I was struck by something you posted on this thread, which would appear to contradict your ealier proposition.

Namely, you state both Cascarino and Houghton are "Dual Nationals", with which I agree entirely. One of those Nationalities is obviously Irish, which I freely accept is not diminished in any way by virtue of their not having been born in ireland, and/or to two Irish parents etc.

But what I can't get you to spell out is their other Nationality. Is TC "Irish and British" or "Irish and English"? And is RH "Irish and British" or "Irish and Scottish"?

This is important, since if by your reckoning, "Englishness" and "Scottishness" are both bona fide Nationalities, then why isn't "Northern Irishness"? After all, they each (along with "Welshness") have the same constitutional status within the UK...

Or are you still smarting from falling for this beauty?? ;D

To quote myself.....

Tony could do something else that 'the OWC' do.  Support the country of his birth.......like he used to, before Big Jack and the plastic paddies came on board.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Gabriel_Hurl

Private Messages not work?

Rossfan

Quote from: Chrisowc on August 13, 2008, 09:29:53 PM

if by your reckoning, "Englishness" and "Scottishness" are both bona fide Nationalities, then why isn't "Northern Irishness"?

Why would Donegal people want to become a separate Nationality? :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orior

Hey ChrisOWC,

NI was a manufactured majority, and is neither a country nor a nation. If it was, then an estate in Dungannon could declare that its majority wish to become Northern Portugal.

The majority of people in Ireland did not want partition then nor now. Thnakfully for you, Great Britain wants to maintain this ridiculous situation until 2018.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Chrisowc

Quote from: Orior on August 13, 2008, 10:30:40 PM
Hey ChrisOWC,

NI was a manufactured majority, and is neither a country nor a nation. If it was, then an estate in Dungannon could declare that its majority wish to become Northern Portugal.

The majority of people in Ireland did not want partition then nor now. Thnakfully for you, Great Britain wants to maintain this ridiculous situation until 2018.

What's that got to do with football?

stiffler

If you are born on this island, whether it be Derry or Kerry, you are Irish, as you belong to the island of Ireland.

There can be qualms about this.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

nifan

"belong to the island of ireland"
what does that mean?

Orior

Quote from: nifan on August 13, 2008, 11:02:36 PM
"belong to the island of ireland"
what does that mean?

It means you are as british as Finchley.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Following your clear disparagement elsewhere of the status of NI as a "country", "nationality" etc - fair enough, your interpretation, your opinion - I was struck by something you posted on this thread, which would appear to contradict your earlier proposition.

Namely, you state both Cascading and Houghton are "Dual Nationals", with which I agree entirely. One of those Nationalities is obviously Irish, which I freely accept is not diminished in any way by virtue of their not having been born in ireland, and/or to two Irish parents etc.

But what I can't get you to spell out is their other Nationality. Is TC "Irish and British" or "Irish and English"? And is RH "Irish and British" or "Irish and Scottish"?

This is important, since if by your reckoning, "Englishes" and "Skittishness" are both bona fide Nationalities, then why isn't "Northern Rashness"? After all, they each (along with "Welshes") have the same constitutional status within the UK...

Nice to be so in demand, my family couldn't give a Shiite for my opinions, why should you?  ;D

Probably some insecurity about your identity?   

There appears to be a lot of fantasising in your head about what I am supposed to have written or hidden meanings to what I did write.
What I did write on dual nationals in that thread made good rational sense.
It would appear that you are here just to press forward another agenda.

FWIW if you want to call yourself Northern Irish, that's your privilege and I would nae bat an eyelid at that. I would not feel in the slightest way upset over that claim.
It doesn't mean that NI is a country.
You tell me why you think NI is a country and I will consider your argument.
So far, on all available evidence to me, Northern Ireland is not a country.

QuoteTo quote myself.....

Tony could do something else that 'the OWC' do.  Support the country of his birth.......like he used to, before Big Jack and the plastic paddies came on board.
Why are you mentioning Tony?  It is a strange and unhealthy obsession.
There appears to be a deep level of immaturity and insecurity which reflects in this obsessive stalking.

AFAIK Tony has declared that he does not want your Northern Ireland identity, you appear to have a problem with that, you are vehement that Tony be Northern Irish or British. Tony can answer for himself (in his style which has won awards from leading publications).

I honestly cannot figure out the shifting sands of *Unionist identity, the slight majority of the inhabitants of the 6 counties.
Out of curiosity, where is it now?
Are you British first and Northern Irish second and a little bit Irish in a distant third?
Or are you Northern Irish first, British second and feck the Irish bit?
Or Northern Irish first and last and want Independence from the UK?
What is the Northern Ireland identity about?
Or are you an Ulsterman, loyal to the crown and maintain the British link?
I just can't keep track about what the latest identity fashion is amongst *Unionists, influenced by the prevailing level of paranoia I suppose.

*Unionists = those who want NI to be part of the UK

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2008, 02:55:02 AM

Following your clear disparagement elsewhere of the status of NI as a "country", "nationality" etc - fair enough, your interpretation, your opinion - I was struck by something you posted on this thread, which would appear to contradict your earlier proposition.

Namely, you state both Cascading and Houghton are "Dual Nationals", with which I agree entirely. One of those Nationalities is obviously Irish, which I freely accept is not diminished in any way by virtue of their not having been born in ireland, and/or to two Irish parents etc.

This is important, since if by your reckoning, "Englishes" and "Skittishness" are both bona fide Nationalities, then why isn't "Northern Rashness"? After all, they each (along with "Welshes") have the same constitutional status within the UK...

Nice to be so in demand, my family couldn't give a Shiite for my opinions, why should you?  ;D

Probably some insecurity about your identity?   

There appears to be a lot of fantasising in your head about what I am supposed to have written or hidden meanings to what I did write.
What I did write on dual nationals in that thread made good rational sense.
It would appear that you are here just to press forward another agenda.

FWIW if you want to call yourself Northern Irish, that's your privilege and I would nae bat an eyelid at that. I would not feel in the slightest way upset over that claim.
It doesn't mean that NI is a country.
You tell me why you think NI is a country and I will consider your argument.
So far, on all available evidence to me, Northern Ireland is not a country.

QuoteTo quote myself.....

Why are you mentioning Tony?  It is a strange and unhealthy obsession.
There appears to be a deep level of immaturity and insecurity which reflects in this obsessive stalking.

AFAIK Tony has declared that he does not want your Northern Ireland identity, you appear to have a problem with that, you are vehement that Tony be Northern Irish or British. Tony can answer for himself (in his style which has won awards from leading publications).

I honestly cannot figure out the shifting sands of *Unionist identity, the slight majority of the inhabitants of the 6 counties.
Out of curiosity, where is it now?
Are you British first and Northern Irish second and a little bit Irish in a distant third?
Or are you Northern Irish first, British second and feck the Irish bit?
Or Northern Irish first and last and want Independence from the UK?
What is the Northern Ireland identity about?
Or are you an Ulsterman, loyal to the crown and maintain the British link?
I just can't keep track about what the latest identity fashion is amongst *Unionists, influenced by the prevailing level of paranoia I suppose.

*Unionists = those who want NI to be part of the UK

I am British, Northern Irish, Irish and an Ulsterman....so all of the above.  Depends on who I am talking to.  I don't really get hung up on it unlike yourself, who finds himself trying to figure out the 'shifting sands' of Unionist identity. 

No wonder your family don't to hear your opinions if this is what you worry about  :D :D

The reason why Tony was mentioned in the quote was because it was in a direct response to a quote from yourself.  When, yes, you quoted Tony.  Tony can call himself whatever he likes and I couldn't give a flyin f**k one way or the other.

I wonder why you didn't call this at the time?  To flustered about Big Jack and the boys to notice? ;)

No obsession with Tony here.  He seems to have acquired some sort of hero status for you though - in his style which has won awards from leading publications 

You will win one someday Main Street keep going, as the man himself might say in replying to your fan mail.

theskull1

Quote from: Chrisowc on August 14, 2008, 08:16:54 AM

I am British, Northern Irish, Irish and an Ulsterman....so all of the above.  Depends on who I am talking to.  I don't really get hung up on it unlike yourself, who finds himself trying to figure out the 'shifting sands' of Unionist identity. 

No wonder your family don't to hear your opinions if this is what you worry about  :D :D

In denial like a lot of people Chris? How can you say your not hung up on it if you start a thread to create some sort of a debate on the subject? Seems strange to me

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Chrisowc

Quote from: theskull1 on August 14, 2008, 08:43:55 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on August 14, 2008, 08:16:54 AM

In denial like a lot of people Chris? How can you say your not hung up on it if you start a thread to create some sort of a debate on the subject? Seems strange to me

The thread was started as a bit of craic as Main Street seemed to be avoiding a question in a manner a politician would be proud, posed on numerous occassions by another poster.  The origin of which seemed to come from a throw away line from myself which Main Street took a little too seriously.

full back

I think Main Street may be challenging Fearon in the OWCers obsession stakes......

Evil Genius

Come on now, Main Street, it's not like you to be coy, and let's face it, you've been happy enough up until now to expound on the nature of Nationality on these islands.

It really is simple, for the nth. time:

Is Tony Cascarino "Irish and British" or "Irish and English"?

And is Ray Houghton "Irish and British" or "Irish and Scottish"?

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: full back on August 14, 2008, 10:10:37 AM
I think Main Street may be challenging Fearon in the OWCers obsession stakes......

Who is obsessing about whom? This particular thread is a direct resullt of two seemingly contradictory posts on Nationality from the keyboard of Main Street, so it's he who is putting himself up there.

That's when he's not "lurking" on OWC, which he apparently does regularly...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"