Coal, turf or Peat Briquette??

Started by wherefromreferee?, August 13, 2008, 10:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Boys its the middle of f**king august! :o

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on August 13, 2008, 05:00:27 PM

Middle of august means f**k all,More rain fell here last saturday in 12 hours than the whole month of august last year
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Pangurban

Take the Wife to Bed  enjoy heat and exercise

ludermor

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 13, 2008, 06:01:31 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 13, 2008, 05:00:27 PM

Middle of august means f**k all,More rain fell here last saturday in 12 hours than the whole month of august last year

And it f**king pissed rain here last august

Lar Naparka

I know turf cutting is due to be banned soon.
Maybe briquette production will continue but I can't say.

The locals where I come from, near Swinford in Mayo, are mighty thick about being stopped from cutting their own turf.
Since none of them have done this for over 20 years I don't see what they are getting worked up about but I couldn't say that, could I?
If you are using smokeless coal it's a hoor to light and keep burning. It generates enough heat to burn out fire grates in no time unless you have a few sods of turf or a good butt of a log or two to provide a bit of ash. The ash seems to provide a bit of protection for the grate.
Briquettes are fine for a small room but are expensive and need to be topped up fairly often.
If you can burn smoky coal, get hold of a bag of slack. Mix the slack with water to make a paste and stuff it into a few tin cans, old bean tins or the likes.
Stuff those into the fire and you will get great heat from them for hours on end.
That's what I used to do when I was living in a flat and they really worked wonders.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi