Coal, turf or Peat Briquette??

Started by wherefromreferee?, August 13, 2008, 10:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherefromreferee?

Hard to beat a fire these evenings, especially with the price of oil at the minute.  Can't decide which is the best though.
There is a great wiff of the turf, but dont think it burns as hot as the coal does.  Sometimes I mix and match all 3, because I'm mad like that! 

Any preference anyone?
In your Endo!

mylestheslasher

Blocks of timber would be my choice.

magpie seanie

Pros and cons with all 3.

Coal - takes londer to light up but possible burns hotter and lasts longer.

Turf - lovely smell and very little mess to clean up. Quick burning. Not as easy to get these days if you don't cut it yourself (again, and inconvenience) and will soon be illegal!

Briquettes - like turf light up quickly but don't last very long. Unlike turf you can walk into any shop and buy them.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 13, 2008, 10:34:28 AM
Pros and cons with all 3.

Coal - takes londer to light up but possible burns hotter and lasts longer.

Turf - lovely smell and very little mess to clean up. Quick burning. Not as easy to get these days if you don't cut it yourself (again, and inconvenience) and will soon be illegal!

Briquettes - like turf light up quickly but don't last very long. Unlike turf you can walk into any shop and buy them.

Are you serious seanie thats the 1st i heard of this
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

wherefromreferee?

Magpie, definitely agree with you on the turf, and the fact that there is very little cleaning up to do.  The coal is a disaster to clean.
In your Endo!

Donagh

Have settled for the briquettes myself. The turfs dirty and too hard to light and burn (smells lovely though).

Coal's even dirtier, burns too hot and spits (not good with new carpet).

Brickettes – happy compromise

under the bar

Was drining up thru the bog on a sunny saturday about 4 weeks ago.   It's been virtually abandoned for 20 years and it was packed with ppl working turf!  Just goes to show ye! 

AZOffaly

It's Briquette, not Brickette. (Sorry, it's the Bord na Mona coming out in me :D)

I use Briquettes to light a fire, or to add to a dying fire. I use Turf for long burning fires. (Has to be good solid turf, not the sort that is dried out to jaysus and goes to ashes in 5 minutes).

magpie seanie

QuoteAre you serious seanie thats the 1st i heard of this

I think there is some EU directive banning cutting turf that is coming in?

Treasurer

Depends on the quality of the turf.  You'll get as much heat out of 2 or 3 briquettes as a range full of poor turf. 

The Real Laoislad

A good block of timber on a bed of turf...
Though up here in Jackeen land your not allowed to burn any of the above
You'll Never Walk Alone.

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2008, 01:59:23 PM
It's Briquette, not Brickette. (Sorry, it's the Bord na Mona coming out in me :D)

I use Briquettes to light a fire, or to add to a dying fire. I use Turf for long burning fires. (Has to be good solid turf, not the sort that is dried out to jaysus and goes to ashes in 5 minutes).

Sorted for you now AZ.
In your Endo!

blast05

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 13, 2008, 02:02:27 PM

It'll be a bit like the dog license so - nobody will take any head of it

the Deel Rover

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 13, 2008, 02:02:27 PM

For fcuk sake next thing you know they will be telling us which way to vote in a treaty ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001