Your Favourite Irish songs

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 18, 2008, 05:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur_Friend

Their rendition of the Rocky Road to Dublin is shite. I'll perhaps have a look at a few of their other tunes to see if they aren't shite.

Arthur_Friend

BarryBreensBandage

Thanks folks for the opinions -

Sheamy, that version of Dempsey's is unbelieveable - I didn't know that one existed.

Would go so far as to say it is the best of the four after listening and watching a couple of times, and here is why:

I doubt there is any traditional song that Luke Kelly performed that has been sung better than him. Voice, Control, Emotion, Timing - He has the lot.
That's what I love about the Pogues version. You sometimes think Magowan isn't going to keep up with the song, but does, and it is a bit more wild and raucous, just like the song.

But, if you look at the videos, Dempsey's version is unique because it has the raw nature of Dempsey's performance, added to his perfect timing, but most of all he plays the guitar as well singing the song.

This song is known to be one of the hardest to get the breathing right for - I have tried to sing this song whilst playing the bodhran and guitar (though not at the same time), and have ran out of puff and rhythm.

Notice that Kelly doesn't play the guitar, and the two lads in the High Kings play the Bodhran with their hands which looks good - the bodhran you hear is the back-up one to the side. Also, the guitarist stops playing when he has to sing.

And Dempsey does both live on Morning TV, not a bother!

So I have a new favourite - Great Dempsey rendition and fair play Sheamy, Thanks.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: hardstation on January 07, 2012, 10:51:24 PM
They're not that bad at all, to be fair. Certain songs don't suit them though. You can't have them sing a Dubliners or a Pogues song. They aren't raw enough for that. They give Go Lassie Go or Marie's Wedding a decent lash though.

Fair Point, HS
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Denn Forever

On TG4 tonight.

17:55 Cara Dillon - Beo i mBeal Feirste Cara Dillon performs traditional songs from her album Hill of Thieves in the Grand Opera House in Belfast.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...