Dead girl's rent 'must be paid'

Started by ziggysego, March 28, 2008, 02:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

A County Armagh couple whose daughter died while at university in Liverpool have been told they must pay for her accommodation for the rest of the year.

The letting agent involved is claiming that because the girl's parents acted as guarantors on the lease, they are liable for the debt.

Sinn Féin's Mickey Brady said the agent's demand was "very unfair".

Mr Brady said the Bessbrook family had received demands for rent owed since her death and threats of legal action.

"The agent is quite clearly arguing that the young girl, because of her sudden death in January, has breached the lease agreement and is demanding that the rent be paid in full," he said.

"This is another example of ruthlessness of the worse kind, and a fixation on ensuring that the money owed will be obtained even if it has to override a family's grief.

"This family is still traumatised by the sudden death of their precious daughter and now they have to cope with the added pressure and fears of debt collectors and court cases.

"In all my years in dealing with agencies and officials, I have never come across such a totally unsympathetic attitude."

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7318220.stm

This is absoluately terrible behaviour by the Letting Agent and I cannot believe they can be so heartless. Deserves a bloody brick through their window!  >:(
Testing Accessibility

TORGAEL

This is a complete and utter disgrace. The letting agent must be a heartless bastard !

Apple Top

Load of balls, when we were at University we paid rent for some shithole until June then left - our lease was until September, agency threatened to take us to court, my friends father, who was a businessman, contacted them and said we could pay 50p a week each but they would have to come to our individual homes and collect, end of story.

stew

tell them to send someone to collect the money as that is the only way they will pay it, imply that he will get a nice reception when he shows up at the door and that should take care of the problem.

I was coming back from playing football in Dungannon back in the day, my mates were changing in the back of the car and this dickhead pulls out in front of us from a side road and we almost hit him, he then proceeded to drive as slow as he could. a mate of mine who was changing in the back mooned the fecker when we overtook him and I thought that was that. It turned out that this simpleton was a RUC man and he took down my number and asked me to come to the station as he wanted to know who flashed his arse at him, i refused to go and he harassed the shite out of me as he was outraged that he got mooned and he knew i knew who did it. Six months i got harassed until finally the da got on the phone and told him to come to the house in Longstone at an appointed time and I would be happy to talk to him. I never heard a word from the aul bastard again and my mate was relieved, he offered my next door neighbour a hundred quid to take the rap as he was a prominent teacher and feared losing his job.

The point is, If you tell them to come get it they wont show up, and if they do you can tell them to feck off and leave you alone without paying them a penny, now they are out the rent and the price of a plane ticket and rental car. I hope the heartless bastards get hosed.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Star Spangler

Quote from: stew on March 28, 2008, 04:02:13 PM
this simpleton was a RUC man ... the da got on the phone and told him to come to the house in Longstone at an appointed time and I would be happy to talk to him.
:D :D :D

red hander

bridgegael

total scumbags!!!  that letting agent must look in the mirror a feel real proud of themselves. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

stiffler

Thats a joke. landlords need to step in line sometimes. Would it be a good idea to phone that landlord to give him a little grief? he deserves a hit.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

pintsofguinness

Id be the last to stand up for letting agents/estate agents because they're the most hateful crowd of wankers you could meet but this one is probably only doing what the Landlord has told him- it's the landlord that needs the kicking.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Apple Top

In total agreement one of those occassions where "f**k  OFF" would end it all.

bennydorano

Should tell the landlord that they'll be happy to go to court - with media in tow, also it would be interesting to see  the  reaction the landlord would get from any jury as well.

tyronefan

would be nice to get the name of the letting agents and send them a few emails to let them know where they are going wrong

corn02

Minder

Its more bother for the letting agent/landlord than its worth, i know fellas that have done a runner from accomodation at Uni in England and they got a threatening letter from a solicitor, which they ignored and that was the last they heard......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

SuperMac

A friend of mines brother was beaten to death in his flat by lifelong theifs, scumbags and drug pushers. Obviously there was blood etc on the floor/furniture whatever. Landlord offered his sympathies etc. He was only in the flat a few days and when they enquired about the deposit the Landlord told the family he would not pay them the deposit back until they cleaned up the flat - fact.