Markets residents protesting again

Started by Abble, March 11, 2008, 08:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

This time under the banner "Children before cars" !

had to park elsewhere this morning. i can partly understand their gripe but i think they always like to have a good moan about something thes'uns. if its fast or dangerous driving they're concerned about, its non-existent. so it must be because cars are parking along the through road which is allowed.

now as fas as where the children come in, i dont know cos during 9 - 5 they should be at school when all the cars are parking there. ok theres 2 months of summer, but they have a big play park and another ball park right beside that. do the children never use it ? and if the parents prefer their children playing games on the road then surely thats their lookout ?

what are they really moaning about cos it certainly ain't about the children ?!

Yer Ma

Presumably this is why the parents are happy for the kids to fire stones at the cars.

Boolerhead Mel

Maybe its the fact that the are pissed of with cars of cheapskate's clogging their streets all day.
Also bin lorries and even hearses have had problems in the past. If somebody parked their car outside my house I would soon tell them to F**k Off. Residents in the village have similar problems. Hopefully parking permits will be brought in. Do what I do buy a space in a car par

Abble

so because people are not fond of paying 1000 a year in carparking they're cheapskates !?

if its parking up on footpaths and that, yeah that occurs but its about 10% of the total cars, maybe 2 dozen cars, now that could cause a problem , i agree...but cars parking properly and legally alongside a through road is no problem for anyone ?!

also i've yet to see a car being parked directly in front of any of the residents houses without them getting some 'recompense'..ie there are residents taking a wee cut for letting people park in their drives...nothing wrong with that

Minder

"Children before cars"? I would say half of them dont know where their children are from one hour to the next........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Goats Do Shave

My concern would be the mob who have closed the roads off! Standing about looking menacing with their bull terrier dogs!

Whilst the police seem to be backing them up!

It is illegal to close off a public road!

I think they should be channelling their 'enthusiasm' by lobbying their local council to either increase parking restrictions in the area & / or improve facilities for their kids!

Donagh

Schools finish around 3pm with infant schools at lunchtime. Presumably you park there between 9 and 5pm. While cars are parked along the streets they are obscuring other drivers view of the footpath hence they will not see a child who runs out between two parked cars.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Abble on March 11, 2008, 08:27:11 AM
This time under the banner "Children before cars" !

had to park elsewhere this morning. i can partly understand their gripe but i think they always like to have a good moan about something thes'uns. if its fast or dangerous driving they're concerned about, its non-existent. so it must be because cars are parking along the through road which is allowed.

now as fas as where the children come in, i dont know cos during 9 - 5 they should be at school when all the cars are parking there. ok theres 2 months of summer, but they have a big play park and another ball park right beside that. do the children never use it ? and if the parents prefer their children playing games on the road then surely thats their lookout ?

what are they really moaning about cos it certainly ain't about the children ?!

I agree with what you said apart from the parking times - if you arrive by 8am you'll not get a space, so by the time the kids are heading to school there's no spaces left anyway!!!

The only dangers in the area are for the people parking there - the fear of having a stone thrown at the car, a wing mirror kicked off or a tyre slashed.

I can't understand the problem of people parking along the building site (to be) and train station side of the road - how could it possibly be harming anyone at all - no footpaths there or anything! I seen the pit bull type dog there this morning too and the barrier being moved over for the police to drive in past - unreal!!

In saying that, parked up beside UTV/Citybeat there this morning and the walk back in will have done me the world of good! (Every cloud...)

Minder

In fairness its admirable of them taking time off work to man the barriers in something they feel very strongly about......  ;)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Minder on March 11, 2008, 09:47:40 AM
In fairness its admirable of them taking time off work to man the barriers in something they feel very strongly about......  ;)

Exactly what I sadi to a lad in work!!  :D

Donagh

The council can solve the problem very easily by introducing parking permits for all householders in the city – after all we are the ones that pay the rates for little more that a bin collection. It's very annoying to arrive at you own door to find you have to park in the next street because a load of cheapskate blow-ins have parked their cars outside your door or even along the whole street. I've been very tempted on a few occasions to take a little direct action of my own.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Great way to back up an arguement, defame the character of the protesters!  ::)
Tbc....

take_yer_points

They're away from the road now. I'm off to get the car here and bring it down to get away quicker this afternoon.

Maybe that's them away off to work now then? must have taken a half day off this morning  :-\

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Donagh on March 11, 2008, 10:11:16 AM
The council can solve the problem very easily by introducing parking permits for all householders in the city – after all we are the ones that pay the rates for little more that a bin collection. It's very annoying to arrive at you own door to find you have to park in the next street because a load of cheapskate blow-ins have parked their cars outside your door or even along the whole street. I've been very tempted on a few occasions to take a little direct action of my own.

I don't think anyone is questioning that it's wrong to park outside someone's house, just as it's wrong to park on yellow lines!

The fact is most of the cars are parked legally, especially for the last year, as any illegally parked cars in Stewart's St get a ticket! Simple as!

The permits won't work, as where the commuters are parking where there are no houses!

pintsofguinness

I wouldn't mind someone parking outside my house if it meant they were going to do a days work in order to pay my benefits so I don't have to work.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?