£40k spent in one week to protect rapist near Omagh.

Started by Minder, February 15, 2008, 03:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

£40k spent on rapist in one week 

More than £40,000 has been spent by the police in just one week protecting and monitoring a convicted rapist in County Tyrone.
Eamon Foley served eight years of a 16-year sentence for the rape of 91-year-old Mary Ann McLaughlin in 1999.

He was released two weeks ago and has since been living in a house near Omagh.

People in the area have been campaigning for him to be moved.

Kenny Adair, who lives next door to Foley, said the amount being spent on protecting and monitoring him was "ridiculous".

"More than £40,000 this is costing for a week for one man. We wouldn't even have that in the village in maybe five or six years through tourism.

"It would have been cheaper to keep him in (prison) or monitor him somewhere else."

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Living just a short distance from Gortin, I am extremely unhappy that this animal is so-near. Especially when you consider the £40,000 protection money spent on him. Lock him up and use the money elsewhere. He's a high-risk sex offender and should not have been let out of prison!!  >:(
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

A bullet in the back of the head would be a lot cheaper and quicker, but as we are not allowed to..

why are people sentenced to 16 years and serve only 8, 16 years should mean 16 years.

where could they live free from terror or live for that matter? honestly, I dont care as long as it far away from me and my family.

I also believe that if you drive these type of people (rapists, pedophiles and the like) underground and out of sight the become a greater threat for society, so what do we as a society do?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Puckoon

As a society we close our eyes, shield ourselves and put faith in the justice system.

Then we get all worked up when someone exacts retribution on a rapist like Eammon Foley, or a criminal.

Its the double edge of our human nature.

EDIT: Its been fairly pointed out to me that the example of a criminal I used had not actually been convicted of a crime.

ziggysego

He didn't service his full-time in prison Puck and is in a high-risk sex offender catergory. He shouldn't have been let out.
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Quote from: Puckoon on February 15, 2008, 03:23:24 PM
As a society we close our eyes, shield ourselves and put faith in the justice system.

Then we get all worked up when someone exacts retribution on a rapist like Eammon Foley, or a criminal like Paul Quinn.

Its the double edge of our human nature.

Having a family makes you more selfish in trying to protect them from evil, and I see people like this as evil and a threat to them, would I get all worked up if revenge was extracted? maybe not

Puckoon

Quote from: ziggysego on February 15, 2008, 03:25:54 PM
He didn't service his full-time in prison Puck and is in a high-risk sex offender catergory. He shouldn't have been let out.

Not arguing that at all ziggy. But let me ask - would you feel better if it was 16 years he had served and was then let out to live beside you?

Realistically the number of years served is not the issue here. Its not like he got out in a month, or a year. He served 8 years. The issue is that no matter when he is released, he needs to be relocated somewhere. Nobody in their right mind wants him relocated to their area.

ziggysego

I see what you're saying and you're right, I wouldn't be happy. However when you couple with the fact that he's out early and is still in the high-risk catergory... well I'm furious.

That said, I wouldn't not advocate anyone taking the law into their own hands in any shape or fashion. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

How would ye feel about Chemical Castration for sex offenders like this?

ziggysego

Not something I know a lot about. Does it kill the urge?
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Supposed to, but it needs to be a regular dose I think, rather like taking a table for blood pressure or something like that. I'm not sure if it is 100% effective, but I suppose you could let someone out, after they've served the sentence. Put them on the castration tablets, and require them to register for their dose in an approved centre every week or whatever.

Puckoon

BINGO AZ, it would definitely be worth a shot, but the ethics of the human right would come into passing a law like this in a big way.

Didnt they try this or suggest this in the US on a voluntary basis for offenders? That some time could be ahem "shaved off" sentences for volunteering for chemical castration (maybe it was an ethics class I took)

Anyways, that wont save the fact that some people are born to be monsters, and if they cant rape someone - they could very well still attack, sexually assault or molest victims (even considering the decreased sex drive due to the castration - as these people dont get off on sex, they get off on power).

Square Ball

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2008, 03:32:51 PM
How would ye feel about Chemical Castration for sex offenders like this?

AZ

Does chemical castration quell the urges? I don't think so, so what would that solve?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ziggysego on February 15, 2008, 03:25:54 PM

50% remission still operates in the norths prisons.
Wouldn't bother with the chemicals, just cut his "bits" off and give the fcuker a straw as he leaves prison.
Tbc....

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2008, 03:36:28 PM
Supposed to, but it needs to be a regular dose I think, rather like taking a table for blood pressure or something like that. I'm not sure if it is 100% effective, but I suppose you could let someone out, after they've served the sentence. Put them on the castration tablets, and require them to register for their dose in an approved centre every week or whatever.

Even a orchiectomy wouldnt be a bad idea - that way there could be no recourse.