Jim Rodgers on Radio Ulster this morning

Started by Abble, February 13, 2008, 08:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishbat

Quote from: hardstation on February 13, 2008, 02:14:59 PM
Never underestimate the warped mind of that bitter little cnut.

ha ha, let rip with both barrels eh?

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Fishbat on February 13, 2008, 10:52:51 PM
Lord (have mercy) Mayor Jimbo Rodgers wouldn't know Cornmarket from his Cornhole.

ps - neither do the rest of the population of Belfast, What he and everyone else thinks is Cornmarket is in fact Arthur Square! - the open space at the junction of Anne Street and the other three streets ... Arthur Street ... Cornmarket and the other one... Cornmarket - where Henry Joy McCracken was hung, runs from High Street to Arthur Square ..i.e. where the Farset (which is under High Street) meets the front of Dunnes Stores to .. that cheap shoe shop before Arthur Square.!!!!!!!!!!!

J70

It sounds like a stupid gaffe to me. He should apologise and move on.

At least he didn't do what those cops in Tampa did and toss the quadriplegic guy out of the wheelchair because they thought he was faking to get out of a traffic offense!

Aristotle Flynn

I'd say it's just a stupid mistake and not worth making a whole fuss over. That man Rodgers isn't the sharpest tool in the box to begin with so what would you expect from a pig but a grunt?
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Lecale2

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on February 13, 2008, 11:37:16 PM
I'd say it's just a stupid mistake and not worth making a whole fuss over. That man Rodgers isn't the sharpest tool in the box to begin with so what would you expect from a pig but a grunt?

So which is he Flynn? A tool or a pig?

You could end up with a ban for personal abuse.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: hardstation on February 13, 2008, 05:03:37 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2008, 04:57:34 PM
No bother Solomon. It's not just unionists, or nordies come to that, who mis-spell Offaly :D

QuoteFirst he disables someone

What did he do ziggy? How do you mean he 'disabled' someone?
If things go our way on the 1st of March I'm going to start calling yiz Awfully.

Some of us have been calling them that for years...  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

red hander

From this morning's Telegraph.  To be fair, totally profuse in his apology, knows he fucked up and seems mortified by it

Lord Mayor sorry for 'slip of  tongue' over disabled people
BY LESLEY-ANNE HENRY

LORD Mayor of Belfast Jim Rodgers last night apologised un-
reservedly over an offensive "slip of the tongue".
During a live radio discussion yesterday about the poor con-
dition of pavements  in Belfast city centre, Mr Rodgers said the
footpaths were difficult for disabled people to negotiate as well
as "human beings".

However speaking to the Belfast Telegraph last night, Mr Rodgers urged anyone who had
been offended by his remarks to contact him.

He said: "I did correct it at the time and made it quite clear that
the footpaths were problems for disabled people, able bodied peo-
ple and also those with buggies.

It was a genuine slip of the tongue made during an early
morning telephone call — that's all it was.

"There was absolutely no offence intended. As one who is
actively involved with disability groups I would never intentionally offend anyone.

"Politicians and Lord Mayors are under tremendous pressure
and it really was a slip of the tongue. There is no way in the
world I would want to offend anyone regardless of their reli-
gion, class, colour or creed — it's not me.

"I absolutely apologise and anyone who may have been of
fended do not hesitate to contact me."

Throughout yesterday internet contributors were discussing
the controversial comments. Meanwhile, a spokesman for Ra-
dio Ulster said the corporation had received two complaints
about the comments.

A statement issued by the station said: "A guest on the BBC
Radio Ulster's Good Morning Ulster this morning made an ac
cidental comment during an interview.

Interviewer Seamus McKee immediately clarified the
guest's comments on air. We apologise for any offence caused
to our listeners during this interview."

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

Whatever else one might think of Rogers, he's apologised for this particular incident and it seems sincere. And the BBC, which received precisely two complaints, appears to have further explained it adequately.

I wonder do the following feel a similar need to apologise for jumping to conclusions?  ;)

Balladmaker - "You don't come out with comments such as he did without having it in his head in the first place" and "I heard what he said and to say something like that has to be in your head somewhere.  F**king disgrace....is he the current Lord Mayor?"

Hard Station - "Never underestimate the warped mind of that bitter little cnut"

Seany -  "bitter bollox"

Take Yer Points - "The guy is a public figure and "slip of the tongue" for something like this isn't just a small thing"
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

balladmaker

QuoteBalladmaker - "You don't come out with comments such as he did without having it in his head in the first place" and "I heard what he said and to say something like that has to be in your head somewhere.  F**king disgrace....is he the current Lord Mayor?"

Nope, still stand by my remarks.  If it wasn't in his subconscious somewhere, he wouldn't have said it.  Disprove what I have said and then I'll apologise for making a remark which I am perfectly entitled to do.

J70

Quote from: balladmaker on February 14, 2008, 03:44:39 PM
QuoteBalladmaker - "You don't come out with comments such as he did without having it in his head in the first place" and "I heard what he said and to say something like that has to be in your head somewhere.  F**king disgrace....is he the current Lord Mayor?"

Nope, still stand by my remarks.  If it wasn't in his subconscious somewhere, he wouldn't have said it.  Disprove what I have said and then I'll apologise for making a remark which I am perfectly entitled to do.

You've never made a dumb, inarticulate statement that didn't reflect your actual views then?

balladmaker

QuoteYou've never made a dumb, inarticulate statement that didn't reflect your actual views then?

No, not to my knowledge.  But if I did, my remarks would not have offended a sizeable proportion of the population, plus I am not an elected representative, and there in lies the difference.