Jim Rodgers on Radio Ulster this morning

Started by Abble, February 13, 2008, 08:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Had a listen there and no matter whether it was a slip of the tongue or not.... with this remark Rogers has just confirmed what we all thought...there's more brains in a hairy mary. :-\
The Aristocrat Years

red hander

You'd think he'd have a bit more sympathy for the disabled since he was practically responsible for crippling one of his own workers during the infamous 'tomato stunt'

Evil Genius

Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 13, 2008, 05:51:16 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on February 13, 2008, 05:22:15 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on February 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PM
Or maybe in his speak he "dehumanised" someone  ;)

It must be a slip of the tongue, surely!

Or then again quite often slips of the tongue are based on secret beliefs that should never be aired in public.

There wasnt much sympathy for the girl in Big Brother who said "nigger" then claimed it was a slip of the tongue and she wasnt racist.

Maybe on a different scale here but there was no sympathy for Glen Hoddle or Ron Atkinson after the things that they said.

Glen Hoddle is a class apart there. Atkinson's comments were likely just ignorance from a bygone age, but wrong none the less. Hoddle should never have been allowed to work in football again. The man is a disgrace.

Unless someone has some sort of evidence that Rogers really does believe that disabled are somehow not human beings - and no-one has done so yet - then we must still assume this to have been an unintended slip. Whereas, both Hoddle and Atkinson were entirely aware of what they were saying.

Hoddle was expressing views the implications of which many of us will find repugnant, but it should not be overlooked that those views are essentially no different from those shared by literally hundreds of millions of Hindus, including many in England. And repulsive whilst these are to the rest of us, if others are permitted to hold such views, then why should Hoddle be any different? After all, they have no bearing on his ability or fitness to be a football manager (imo).

As for Atkinson, of course his language was a disgraceful throwback to a discredited age, but at least he expressed genuine regret and contrition, the sincerity of which was attested to by many of the black players he has helped down the years.

Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 13, 2008, 05:51:16 PM
The guy is a public figure and "slip of the tongue" for something like this isn't just a small thing.

A "slip" is just that, whether suffered by a public figure or a private one. I repeat, is there any evidence that Rogers has a lack of sympathy for the disabled? As someone else alluded to, there is no shortage of evidence of a lack of intelligence, which more likely explains his slip, but that is a different matter!
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 13, 2008, 07:14:54 PM

A "slip" is just that, whether suffered by a public figure or a private one. I repeat, is there any evidence that Rogers has a lack of sympathy for the disabled? As someone else alluded to, there is no shortage of evidence of a lack of intelligence, which more likely explains his slip, but that is a different matter!

To summarise:

Prima facie evidence (attributed quotation) to be set aside (as it sounds particularly harsh), and responsibility for providing corrorborating evidence to lie with would-be critics on this board.
I see a politically convenient 'get out' clause in development!

Has Mr Rodgers made any comment on this apparent faux pas as yet?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Evil Genius

Quote from: Niall Quinn on February 13, 2008, 07:49:28 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on February 13, 2008, 07:14:54 PM

To summarise:

Prima facie evidence (attributed quotation) to be set aside (as it sounds particularly harsh), and responsibility for providing corrorborating evidence to lie with would-be critics on this board.
I see a politically convenient 'get out' clause in development!

Has Mr Rodgers made any comment on this apparent faux pas as yet?

There are two possible explanations for what he said: either a slip of the tongue (innocent), or a view that the disabled are less than human (guilty).

Faced with that choice, I prefer the maxim "Innocent until proven Guilty".

With your 'politically convenient' gibe, I'm guessing you prefer "Innocent, until proven Unionist".  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 13, 2008, 08:08:21 PM
There are two possible explanations for what he said: either a slip of the tongue (innocent), or a view that the disabled are less than human (guilty).

With your 'politically convenient' gibe, I'm guessing you prefer "Innocent, until proven Unionist".  ::)

One thing that surprised me is that IF it was a slip of the tongue (I think it was) then why hasnt he come out to clarify this. Otherwise he must know his slilence will be seen as deafening.

*Incidentally EG, not to get off topic, but its been said that you have been given credit for "running" me from the OWC board. Just to clarify you personally had nothing to do with me not sticking around, so dont be feeling bad  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 13, 2008, 08:16:49 PM

One thing that surprised me is that IF it was a slip of the tongue (I think it was) then why hasnt he come out to clarify this. Otherwise he must know his slilence will be seen as deafening.

What, you're having a go at the mute and the deaf, now?  ;)

*Incidentally EG, not to get off topic, but its been said that you have been given credit for "running" me from the OWC board. Just to clarify you personally had nothing to do with me not sticking around, so dont be feeling bad  ;)

I have never claimed the "credit" for any such thing. So why not come back? I was enjoying our little debate, even if you weren't. Besides, I've still not had any real answer to my questions... ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 13, 2008, 08:23:43 PM
What, you're having a go at the mute and the deaf, now?  ;)

Yes, bastards.

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 13, 2008, 08:23:43 PM
I have never claimed the "credit" for any such thing. So why not come back? I was enjoying our little debate, even if you weren't. Besides, I've still not had any real answer to my questions... ;)

I know you never claimed to, but others have claimed you were responsible, I just wanted to put your mind at rest.

Why not come back? Well thats already been answered, a few times.

Not sure what questions you had in mind, but whatever they were, I dont care so for the love of god dont drag them over here  ;)

Anyway, back on topic...
Ask me holy bollix

Chrisowc

Perhaps there is no need to clarify anything.  I have checked BBC, Belfast Telegraph and Irish News and nowhere can I see this story being covered.  There is deafening silence alright.  This is a complete non-story.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

red hander

'Perhaps there is no need to clarify anything.  I have checked BBC, Belfast Telegraph and Irish News and nowhere can I see this story being covered.  There is deafening silence alright.  This is a complete non-story.'

The BBC isn't going to do a story about itself that induces negative publicity and the websites of daily newspapers aren't going to run a story before it appears in their (paid for) titles in the morning ... I'm willing to wager you £100 that the story will appear in tomorrow's Press as surely as day follows night...

Chrisowc

Quote from: red hander on February 13, 2008, 09:19:29 PM
'Perhaps there is no need to clarify anything.  I have checked BBC, Belfast Telegraph and Irish News and nowhere can I see this story being covered.  There is deafening silence alright.  This is a complete non-story.'

The BBC isn't going to do a story about itself that induces negative publicity and the websites of daily newspapers aren't going to run a story before it appears in their (paid for) titles in the morning ... I'm willing to wager you £100 that the story will appear in tomorrow's Press as surely as day follows night...

I wouldn't think this was negative publicity for the BBC at all.  In fact, if this was a story of any importance then the BBC would be tripping over themselves to report it.

Any newspaper that reports on this other than being an embarrassing slip of the tongue for Rodgers really have little else to worry about.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Niall Quinn

Where the hell did that come from?

My 'gibe' was simply a comment on the potential of extending your logic to render null and void anything retospectively thought to be bad politics.

Why am I suddenly a bigot?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Niall Quinn on February 13, 2008, 09:46:20 PM

Where the hell did that come from?

My 'gibe' was simply a comment on the potential of extending your logic to render null and void anything retospectively thought to be bad politics.

Why am I suddenly a bigot?
You are suddenly a bigot because you said something about a elected unionist..
Though how he got elected and became Lord Mayor of Belfast twice beggars belief.....
I personally believe that this was a slip of the tongue....The man is virtually illiterate
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

lfdown2

just out of interest do ye's think if the same slip of the tongue had been made concerning the chinese/polish/any other immigrant community that he would have got away with it so easily i imagine it was an idiotic mistake but surely one that should be followed by an explanation and apology from the man himself? surely its better he clarify things than to leave the public to interpret it?!

Fishbat

Lord (have mercy) Mayor Jimbo Rodgers wouldn't know Cornmarket from his Cornhole.