Tornado devastation yet again in the USA

Started by Aerlik, February 07, 2008, 10:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Yet another disastrous event in the USA.  What I can't understand is why houses in tornado-prone parts of the country are not mandatorily constructed with steel frames on concrete bases as is the case here in the north west of Australia where more cyclones touch land than anywhere else in the world.  Any insight into this from our north American contributors?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

dec

Quote from: Aerlik on February 07, 2008, 10:24:20 AM
What I can't understand is why houses in tornado-prone parts of the country are not mandatorily constructed with steel frames on concrete bases as is the case here in the north west of Australia where more cyclones touch land than anywhere else in the world.
The states in tornado-prone parts of the country tend to favour less regulation and  elect Republicans or conservative Democrats.

Hardy

Is it simply that it's the right approach statistically? (Not stating - asking). While tornadoes are numerous and frequent, they are also short-lived and very localised (in the USA, anyway, I think). Therefore the odds against any individual house being hit by a tornado in the lifetime of its occupants may be a better bet than forking out the extra dosh to make it tornado-proof.

Drumanee 1

saw that on the news last night and then bush come out with the usual crap about doing what ever it takes to help the people of this regeion,well if history is anything to go by i would not be holding my breath when you look whats happened (or not) in new orleans

heganboy

timber frame houses in the US are the norm. There are regulations in the cities but as soon as you go outside of the larger metropolitan areas the building legislation is all about the height of permissible fences, suitable types of plant that fit in with the "character of the town" than about the safety of the occupants. Flood prone areas, still allow basements with bedrooms, as for houses in the hurricane belt, the easier to blow them away the more likely the builder gets to rebuild.
In my experience the quality of building for housing here is brutal, the wiring is whatever is cheapest, they seem to have no concept of insulation, the plumbing at least seems decent...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 07, 2008, 02:46:07 PM
saw that on the news last night and then bush come out with the usual crap about doing what ever it takes to help the people of this regeion,well if history is anything to go by i would not be holding my breath when you look whats happened (or not) in new orleans

Different demographic this time something will probably be done.

Drumanee 1

Quote from: FL/MAYO on February 07, 2008, 04:11:53 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 07, 2008, 02:46:07 PM

Different demographic this time something will probably be done.

what?were there more white folks this time

heganboy

yes- thats about the height of it- richer white folks at that
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

mannix

Alot of folk in these here parts live in trailers, tornadoes love trailers.
I imagine even if they were made from brick they would be destroyed, people without the money will just have to take their chances in wooden framed homes, the wealthy can have steel framed but the windows would likely be sucked out and everything inside too unless its a superstrong build with steel shutters and a mighty roof welded on.
I think i preferred the overcrowding of new york to the danger of losing everything in 2 minutes.

DrinkingHarp

A lady in Tennesse who lived in a trailer went to her Church (brick building) the church collasped and killed her the trailer went untouched.

Most of the areas where the tornados hit are low income areas. Average family income about 28,000 per year. To build a tornado proof home would cost about 800,000+ compared to a stick frame home of 45,000 or a trailer of 20,000 or less.

Around my area the tornados are active every spring, the new codes require hurricane strapping on trusses and walls. They are also anchoring the rim boards to the concrete foundation with steel anchors but if a F3 or F5 tornado hits your home there is not much you can do.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Can't believe there has been no chat on here about these.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 01, 2011, 11:50:16 PM

Ian Poulter had that picture on his Twitter page..great pic
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 01, 2011, 11:51:05 PM

Funny you should say that...

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 02, 2011, 12:05:43 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 01, 2011, 11:51:05 PM

Funny you should say that...

Are you Ian Poulter???  :o
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone