Shame on you Gerry Kelly...

Started by 5 Sams, January 18, 2008, 11:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Chrisowc on January 19, 2008, 08:43:09 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on January 19, 2008, 08:14:46 AM
George Best was never successful on the world stage.

He was a major part of a successful European Cup team.

And was also European Footballer of the Year that season.

"Not successful on the world stage" though... ::)

MW

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 19, 2008, 07:11:50 PM
Stop.

The programme was about Gerry Kelly's sporting heroes.

Yes, this seems to have been rather overlooked. It was an entirely subjective list of sportspeople who meant something to Gerry Kelly. That's it. Do people want to dictate to him who his own sporting heroes are? ???

(Anyway, any annoyance would have been best avoided by noting the words "Gerry Kelly" in the TV schedule and changing channel...that's what I've always done...)

T Fearon

In fairness GAA got as much coverage as Rugby on this, and It was fitting that Joe Kernan and Armagh started the GAA segment as Armagh are by far the most sccessful Ulster County in contemporary GAA. The programme was rendered farcical by featuring Gerry Armstrong on account of a goal keeping error in Valencia. You couldn't argue wth Jennings, Best, Dunlop, Peters though, but Denis Taylor?

The irony is of course that to-day in the 6 counties a guy who an't even get a regular game for Fulham seems to win the sports personality of the year award year after year. In otherwors genuine talent here is thin on the ground despite so much money being pumped into sport here, and sports science facilities at Jordanstown etc,

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2008, 06:55:38 PM
The irony is of course that to-day in the 6 counties a guy who an't even get a regular game for Fulham seems to win the sports personality of the year award year after year.

Not just the "6 counties" [sic] - look who Texaco made their 32-county Soccer Star for 2007:
http://www.texaco.ie/sportstars_winners/winners_current.php  ;)

Seeing as he was also 2006 Winner, if/when he wins the 2008 Award, will the "hat-trick" permit him to keep the Trophy?  :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Leo

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2008, 06:55:38 PM
In fairness GAA got as much coverage as Rugby on this, and It was fitting that Joe Kernan and Armagh started the GAA segment as Armagh are by far the most sccessful Ulster County in contemporary GAA. The programme was rendered farcical by featuring Gerry Armstrong on account of a goal keeping error in Valencia. You couldn't argue wth Jennings, Best, Dunlop, Peters though, but Denis Taylor?

The irony is of course that to-day in the 6 counties a guy who an't even get a regular game for Fulham seems to win the sports personality of the year award year after year. In otherwors genuine talent here is thin on the ground despite so much money being pumped into sport here, and sports science facilities at Jordanstown etc,

First of anyone who thought that the combination of G Kelly & UTV would produce anything remotely interesting or entertaining leads a very sheltered life - talentless presenter meets lowbrow broadcaster - if it fits by all means wear it.

Secondly, didnt watch it as i had just painted the back wall and it wasnt a good drying daym but if it was Kelly's hereoes then all comment here is irrelevant. Although why his choice of sportspeople should be of interest to any being with their own mental faculties escapes me.

Thirdly - cant let the Joe Kernen comment go. Whaterver you mean by contempoarary, Tyrone might have an argument, but without doubt the most successful Ulster county of all time (9 counties) is Down as published in recent Sunday Tribune analysis of all 32 counties. Nothing to do with Gerry Kelly, Ned Kelly, Sandy Kelly or anyone else - fact.
Fierce tame altogether

5 Sams

QuoteThirdly - cant let the Joe Kernen comment go

I take it you havent been around here long Leo.....remember the old saying which begins "Never argue with a fool."
The Aristocrat Years

Feckitt

Leo, Down are not the most successful Ulster County.  
They have 5 All Irelands and approx 10 Ulsters.
Cavan have 5 All Irelands and approx 30 Ulsters

T Fearon

Er I did say that Armagh are Ulster's finest contemporary exponents of Gaelic Football. The trophies won and consistency shown, from the whitewash of Down in the 99 Ulster Final to the completion of the three glorious Croke Park Ulsters in a row, in 2006, renders this an indisputable fact. No wonder the GAA segment started with Armagh therefore ;D

Leo

Quote from: Feckitt on January 22, 2008, 01:45:56 PM
Leo, Down are not the most successful Ulster County.  
They have 5 All Irelands and approx 10 Ulsters.
Cavan have 5 All Irelands and approx 30 Ulsters

I'll look for the S Tribune analysis and post it if I can.
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 22, 2008, 01:44:30 PM
QuoteThirdly - cant let the Joe Kernen comment go

I take it you havent been around here long Leo.....remember the old saying which begins "Never argue with a fool."

Thanks 5Sams - I hadn't checked the author.
Fierce tame altogether

Onlooker

Was the Texaco soccer award for 2007 not won by Richard Dunne.   I am fairly sure that it was.

Evil Genius

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"