£terling and $ollar crashing against the €uro

Started by Donagh, January 10, 2008, 05:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: FL/MAYO on February 20, 2013, 11:06:29 PM
Any one ever try Currency Fair, seems like a good way to exchange money.

http://www.currencyfair.com/

Never knew about that. Like so many good ideas, it's obvious, but only after someone has thought of it.

Declan

Yep heard them at a Web Summit a couple of years ago - great idea

EC Unique

Could there be profit to be made at moving money from a sterling account to a euro account and back again using that site? Use their market function and look for about a 1% increase each time?

armaghniac

The €uro is below 70p presently, a good time to stock up on cash for holidays. And you might well make a profit changing this at a low commission rate (Currencyfair/Transfermate) and changing it back again.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on July 16, 2015, 09:11:37 PM
The €uro is below 70p presently, a good time to stock up on cash for holidays. And you might well make a profit changing this at a low commission rate (Currencyfair/Transfermate) and changing it back again.

Getting raked over coals by the Sterling while building a PC down here.

LeoMc

I had asked a question over on the house building thread but maybe this could be just as good a forum

I will be starting to buy flooring, doors, showers, toilets, etc, for a new house in about 6 months for a house in the north. Does the weakened Euro leave these goods cheaper to buy in the South? If so is there any margin in shifting a lot of Sterling to Euro now?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: LeoMc on July 17, 2015, 08:20:19 AM
I had asked a question over on the house building thread but maybe this could be just as good a forum

I will be starting to buy flooring, doors, showers, toilets, etc, for a new house in about 6 months for a house in the north. Does the weakened Euro leave these goods cheaper to buy in the South? If so is there any margin in shifting a lot of Sterling to Euro now?

Yes, if you earn in sterling then buying anything denominated in Euro will now be better for you than it was when the rate was below 1.40.

However, as you are building a new house I assume you could reclaim the VAT on purchases in Northern Ireland, but this wouldn't be the case if you buy from the South.
Of course, if you can supply a UK VAT number to the Southern supplier then ROI VAT wouldn't come into the equation there either  ;)

screenexile

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 17, 2015, 08:44:42 AM

Yes, if you earn in sterling then buying anything denominated in Euro will now be better for you than it was when the rate was below 1.40.

However, as you are building a new house I assume you could reclaim the VAT on purchases in Northern Ireland, but this wouldn't be the case if you buy from the South.
Of course, if you can supply a UK VAT number to the Southern supplier then ROI VAT wouldn't come into the equation there either  ;)

Was down in Blanchardstown centre last week looking to buy some stuff... thought I would be making a great saving but was I shite!! Stuff is ridiculously expensive down there and the exchange rate didn't make a difference.

Went to buy golf balls in Sportsworld that cost €17.99 but the same golf balls were available in Sportsdirect in Armagh @ £9.99!!

trueblue1234

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 17, 2015, 08:44:42 AM

What's this now? Building ourselves at the minute and was looking into whether south might be cheaper.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hereiam

Dont think it is worth the hassle. From what i hear if u manage to get all in order it will take i while for it to go through.