Most pubs per head.

Started by 5 Sams, January 09, 2008, 11:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Something Heganboy said on the NYC thread about there being 2000 places that sell drink in Manhattan got me thinking.

How many bars is that per head of population? There is roughly...what? 2 million people in Manhattan? That means a bar for every 1,000 people

Apparently there are 54 bars in Dingle....assuming the holiday population of Dingle is about 3,000...thats about 1 bar for every 55 people.

Can any other town/city/village beat that for service????
The Aristocrat Years

Fishbat

Not sure what the population of Clonmel is, but theres a brave few pubs there too

Bogball XV

i heard that county monaghan had the highest pubs per head ratio of an irish county. 

Tyrones own

Absolutely has to be Kilnaleck In Caaaaaavan, never seen anything like it for pubs :o
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Doire abú

Apparently Draperstown, Co. Derry has the highest number of pubs per head in the world!! Not jokin btw, apparently it was in the Guinness Book of Records in 2003 I think.

Manys a post mortem on a match has been carried out there.

give her dixie

Carrickmacross always seemed to have a fair share of watering holes.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

screenmachine

aye draperstown was in the guiness book of records surely, not sure of any stats to be honest but there's a fair few ale houses around and about...its great!
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Abble

somewhere in monaghan alright - might be ballybay, every second building in the village is a pub....near sure its ballybay

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Gortin in the Sperrins in Tyrone.
Tbc....

Billys Boots

I'm not sure how many are still functioning, but in the late 80s, Arva (Co. Cavan) had a population of ca. 300 and 17 pubs, which I make as approximately one for every seventeen people.  No overcrowding there.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

thebandit

I think Castleblayney, Carrickmacross and Ballybay are all in the top 10 in Ireland

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 10, 2008, 01:05:00 AM

Absolutely has to be Kilnaleck In Caaaaaavan, never seen anything like it for pubs :o

....and I'll bet you've never seen pubs anything like them either !

it was the first place I thought of also
but alas it wont win this title

most of the locals have at least two heads...

Candyman

Keady, Co.Armagh....
Some may well pose as pubs though!!! ;)

Hardy

We used to play a game over pints in Drogheda - can you go from point A (on the North side) to point B (on The Far Side - i.e. across the river) without passing a pub? No swimming or boating allowed. Couldn't be done.

Yes, yes - simpler times, when all we had for entertainment was each other. And none of us was very entertaining.

behind the wire

hilltown co down. bound to be some sort of record there. think theres one shop, one chippy, a chinese, an electric shop and then about 12 pubs.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest