Living Geniuses...

Started by 5 Sams, November 30, 2007, 11:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Quote from: ziggysego on December 01, 2007, 01:56:40 PM
Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on December 01, 2007, 12:51:55 PM
That man in the weelchair hes a real living genius

Just who I was going to say, Stephen Hawkings.

So its not Ironside then!  ;)
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Armagh4SamAgain

Thats who i ment. He talks funny but hes a real genuis so he is.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Square Ball

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

Thought about that Ziggy, but what defines a genius? someone who is smarter than others? someone who does things better than most? george Best/Pele/Maradona all footballing Genises(sp) Bill Gates computer genius Mandella political/reforming genius.

Tyrones own

Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Warren Buffet and maybe Stephen Spielberg,
  could list a bunch of sport stars but they would hardly be the true definition
  of a genius even if they did excel in their respective fields.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

Quote from: Square Ball on December 01, 2007, 03:43:53 PM
Thought about that Ziggy, but what defines a genius? someone who is smarter than others? someone who does things better than most? george Best/Pele/Maradona all footballing Genises(sp) Bill Gates computer genius Mandella political/reforming genius.

Someone (not sure who) once said that the line between genius and insanity is measured only by success.

There are a bunch of people who will attain genius status, many of them in areas we have never heard of. Scientists, engineers, mathematicians.

Sporting and musical and nerd genii who attain huge levels of business success are always going to steal the limelight from the rest of them.

J70

Speaking of football legends...

J70

Quote from: ziggysego on December 01, 2007, 01:56:40 PM
Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on December 01, 2007, 12:51:55 PM
That man in the weelchair hes a real living genius

Just who I was going to say, Stephen Hawkings.

Hawking is not really regarded as the genius in his field. His celebrity, partially due to his illness (and his success in continuing his career despite it) and the very popular "A Brief History of Time", have probably given the general public a distorted view of his standing. Many physicists disagreed with his positions over the years, and in the end he had to concede that his long-held views on black holes were wrong. He is probably similar to Stephen Jay Gould, who, supremely gifted popular science writer though he was, was not that highly regarded within the academic world of evolutionary biology, despite being publicly regarded, especially in America, as one of the leading minds in and the public voice of the field.

Square Ball

Quote from: Puckoon on December 01, 2007, 06:17:49 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on December 01, 2007, 03:43:53 PM

Someone (not sure who) once said that the line between genius and insanity is measured only by success.

There are a bunch of people who will attain genius status, many of them in areas we have never heard of. Scientists, engineers, mathematicians.

Sporting and musical and nerd genii who attain huge levels of business success are always going to steal the limelight from the rest of them.

its a very thin line Puckoon, people you have mentioned do get very little recognition, Isambard Kingdom Brunell, Leonardo Da Vinci, Timothy Berners-Lee the Wright brothers were more than likely called insane in their day, and IMHO were Genii, oh and only one of these is still alive, i think

J70

Were the likes of the Wright Brothers geniuses though? Their kind of work builds on the work of so many predecessors, that I don't think they could be regarded in the same (admittedly stratospheric) level as someone like Da Vinci. But then even Newtown did say "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

Square Ball

Again what is the defination of Genius, I think the the Wright brothers would be classed a genius in the field of flight. These were all inventors I mentioned and were top of their given fields of expertise at that time, and that little streak of insanity pushed them further.

Rav67

Roger Federer
Lionel Messi
Shane MacGowan