mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on January 10, 2018, 09:55:49 AM
Quote from: mup on January 10, 2018, 09:39:16 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on January 10, 2018, 09:31:28 AM
Quote from: mup on January 10, 2018, 09:12:54 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on January 10, 2018, 09:08:09 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 10, 2018, 09:02:37 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on January 10, 2018, 08:58:57 AM
Some amount of sponsorship and money floating around that great Kerry team. Even Adidas. Hard to compete with that.

Great GAA man is Micko, one of a kind and a medal haul as manager and player which may go unmatched in football for a long time.

You'll need better bait than that.

Just stating what I seen on that documentary. Adidas, Milk, Kitchen appliances and that's only what on a 45 min doc. Going on world tours etc. Jaysus imagine.

And they played all their games at home too. Oh wait.....

3 games to win an all Ireland.

Only had to beat Cork in Munster and most of the time and easy semi final and then the final.

Its much much tougher now and even more so with Super 8s.

The old play at home card, sure wasn't a problem till recently, If anything its a disadvantage, as teams going to Croke Park who play a certain team there up their game more than usual.

No hijacking of the thread so leave it at Micko a great.

No one to beat in Leinster therefore only 3 games to and AI. Money thrown at your by the GAA and Government. Own dressing room. Free cars etc etc

If you didn't want the thread hijacked then don't go fishing. The thread is about Micko but obviously by you throwing out the bait you wanted it turned into another Dublin thread.

That's called attention seeking. Take it to one of the many Dublin threads - that's what they were set up for.

Says the guy who follows me around here. I don't get any money from the GAA :)

I think you need to start looking at other counties, in particular the ones that need bail outs from Croke Park for years of mismanagement of funds.

As I said Micko , a great , a gentleman, a hero, etc, but I don't think he could do it in the modern era of football.

Follow you around? Have you copped on yet that it's a message board and if someone wants to debate the points (however ridiculous) you make then they will reply. That's how its works.

Don't think you are free to make baseless accusations without rebuke.

DoireGael

Main Street

The chapter on the Kerry Dublin rivalry in the Micko era could be called "Blood on the Shirt".

BennyCake

Bittersweet that was. 'Twas nearly like a tribute programme to someone who has just died. True GAA great.

Showed a point of his in Croke Park, coming in from Cusack side into Canal End. Stroked it over beautifully without effort. Great score.

Great moment when he passed his own statue. Gives it a wave of the hand and a smile. Classic.

Wildweasel74

Was Colm Parkinson not one of those players who quite playing early for Laois? Was he not one of those superstar player with a big head who thought he was better than he actually was! He giving out about micko on sports ie but i say parkinson is one of the players micko was on about!!

LooseCannon

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 12, 2018, 01:14:20 PM
Was Colm Parkinson not one of those players who quite playing early for Laois? Was he not one of those superstar player with a big head who thougjt he was better than he actually was! He giving out about micko on sports ie but i say parkinson is one of the players micko was on about!!

Parkinson is a p***k. Excuse my language. It's merely the truth.

Sandy Hill

Mick O'Dwyer, the cutest of all the cute hoors!!
"Stercus accidit"

BennyCake

Read the story once, might have been Paidi's autobiography. If Kerry were playing say, Donegal in the league, Micko made sure to land into the Kerry dressing room afterwards with a couple of "Dun na nGall" O'Neills balls under his arms. And the league was a ball-nicking exercise for him.

JimStynes

Just got around to watching this and I thought it was great. What a life he has led. The best bit for me was hearing about him managing the u14 team to the league title. Class.

Avondhu star

Quote from: BennyCake on January 12, 2018, 08:49:28 PM
Read the story once, might have been Paidi's autobiography. If Kerry were playing say, Donegal in the league, Micko made sure to land into the Kerry dressing room afterwards with a couple of "Dun na nGall" O'Neills balls under his arms. And the league was a ball-nicking exercise for him.
Or when he was with Kildare and coming of the dressing room before the game. He met the referee and said "I glad to see you here today. We will need a good strict referee"
The ref was delighted with the praise from Micko.
Result Kildare win with a few soft frees
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

magpie seanie

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 16, 2018, 10:48:16 PM
Or when he was with Kildare and coming of the dressing room before the game. He met the referee and said "I glad to see you here today. We will need a good strict referee"

Referee management. We all do it to varying degrees and with varying degrees of success. It's an art!

Avondhu star

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 17, 2018, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on January 16, 2018, 10:48:16 PM

Referee management. We all do it to varying degrees and with varying degrees of success. It's an art!
Ah yes but the Kerry lads have it done to a fine art. How many times when play has stopped have you seen Tomas O Se chatting with the linesman or umpire?
All tricks learned from Paidi and Micko
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Main Street

I thought there was a poignant moment at the end of Kerry's 4th in a row v Offaly. Probably the final whistle came right after the ball was kicked out by the goalie, players were being  marked by their opposite, as soon as the whistle blew each player turned to his marker and exchanged words along with a handshake, there were even a few  embraces.

GalwayBayBoy

I do love Micko. Plus Micko teams lost 3 All-Ireland finals and 2 All-Ireland semi-finals to Galway. He was almost a good luck charm for us in finals.

A living legend though. The 82 final is my earliest memory. Sporting or otherwise. Another loss he was involved in which seems mad as he won so much.