Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 29, 2018, 09:04:29 AM
Another win for taylor.  She seems unstoppable even after a short period of time in pro.
shes definitely making waves in women's boxing - very sad to see the lack of attention she is getting with the media in Ireland and elsewhere.
nice touch when she gave the belt back in the changing rooms...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DuffleKing

Much as I love KT and all of her pioneering work, if we're honest the quality of the product isn't that great and that's what it comes down to. The standard of the boxing is "Okay" in the womens game and ultimately anyone with an informed view will realise that very quickly.

The boxer who eventually brings the female sport to mass popularity will be A) a big puncher who finished people spectacularly, and B) disliked / pantomime villain character. Katie isn't any of those things and will have as good a boxing career as any female can in modern times but it will be relatively low key.

Atticus_Finch

Haye vs Bellew II takes place tonight.

This shouldn't be a big fight but I found the first fight a compelling watch with Haye trying to fight for on effectively one leg after tearing his Achilles in the 6th round until Shane McGuigan (his then coach) threw in the towel during the 11th round.

Was hard not to admire Haye for not quitting but also I have never heard him blame the defeat on the injury once, even though he would have been completely justified to do so.  I think he learned from the PR disaster that was "Big toe gate" following his loss to Klitschko.

There's been a cancelled bout after Haye got injured again. It remains to be seen what the inactivity will have done to Haye.  Some would say his body is just done and he should have hung up the gloves following the first defeat to bellew.

If he has got himself fit then I think Haye wins this.  Haye has said if he doesn't KO bellew that he will retire I think that is just talk and Haye will be happy with the win.  His choice of new trainer Ismael Salas (was formerly Jorge Linares trainer) suggests that he is focusing more on movement than trying to have KO power. Also he is expected to come in significantly lighter than their first fight which also says to me he isn't really heart set on a KO.  Bearing in mind that Haye was comfortably ahead on the score cards up until the time of injury then I would have to go for a lighter, fitter (presumably, time will tell) Haye winning on points.   

Bennydorano - bought that Eamon Magee book, his life has the makings of a good book.  I'm terrible for starting books and not finishing them but if I get round to finishing it will bore you with a brief review.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

nrico2006

Really hope he knocks Bellew out tonight. I laughed the other day when Bellew was trying to say that Haye was looking an easy fight against him and was basically afraid to fight Wilder. The truth is that Bellew started this whole saga with Haye when he acted the tr**p after the Flores win and Bellew is the one who has basically implied he is afraid to fight some of the other top heavyweights.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

Eddie & Co laughing all the way to the bank again.

Tony Baloney

Haye should just hang them up. Pure useless tonight.

Insane Bolt

Francie Bellew would have beat him😜

omaghjoe

I watched it last night it looked like Haye was drunk!

Alot flabbier looking than he normally is too

Atticus_Finch

Haye has to to retire, that fight confirmed that his body is completely done. 

Haye's trainer Salas was due to be in Linares corner against Lomachenko this weekend but his commitment to Haye led to Linares getting a new trainer.  Surely Salas is regretting that now.

I see Bellew has called out Andre Ward ..... he's never been short of confidence but surely he is just looking for one last pay day.  Ward (in the same way Mayweather would have been when the McGregor fight was arranged) should be relishing the prospect of coming out of retirement for an easy pay day.

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

bennydorano

Bought the Eamon Magee book, torn now whether to keep it for holidays or get tore into it.

The Bearded One

Quote from: bennydorano on May 17, 2018, 09:26:08 AM
Bought the Eamon Magee book, torn now whether to keep it for holidays or get tore into it.

Hah, same. Was delivered on Monday and haven't opened the parcel yet, holiday in 2 weeks. Staying strong.
It is what it is. Presumably.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 10, 2018, 11:04:29 AM

Haye's trainer Salas was due to be in Linares corner against Lomachenko this weekend but his commitment to Haye led to Linares getting a new trainer.  Surely Salas is regretting that now.

I see Bellew has called out Andre Ward ..... he's never been short of confidence but surely he is just looking for one last pay day.  Ward (in the same way Mayweather would have been when the McGregor fight was arranged) should be relishing the prospect of coming out of retirement for an easy pay day.

Strange enuff thing for Bellew to do, he'd likely loose it and there is no money in fighting Ward no one wants to watch him.. which is why he retired

nrico2006

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 19, 2018, 09:03:16 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 10, 2018, 11:04:29 AM

Strange enuff thing for Bellew to do, he'd likely loose it and there is no money in fighting Ward no one wants to watch him.. which is why he tired

Ward was terrible to watch. Still cant get my head around the Kovalev stoppage
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

Selby will be doing well to get out of here with a win.

JimStynes

Great fight. Warrington turned it into a war.