Static Electricity!

Started by ziggysego, October 25, 2007, 11:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 26, 2007, 10:20:05 AM
I heard it was all down to cheap Y-fronts!

no
thats 'slutty electricity'

ziggy - you could run a copper wire electrode from your wheelchair to your 'family jewels' - at least each time this happens in the future, you get some kind of gratification out of it ! :o ;) :D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on October 25, 2007, 11:34:30 PM
... but do you reckon my new wheelchair could be a contributing factor in it all?

Yes Ziggy, it could, absolutely (static would be generated by the turning of those particular wheels on the ground). As lynchbhoy says sort of  ;), run a copper wire from the frame of your chair to the ground, that'll discharge any build-up as it accumulates.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Captain Scarlet

Got a serious shock off my 4 month old niece.

Hilarious face she pulled after it happened :D

Ya could hear it and all
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

his holiness nb

Just seen the new avatar Ziggy, I'm honoured!
Ask me holy bollix

Square Ball

Get it all the time in work, hate being asked to open the windows, it can be painful. Dont get it in the house, could it be something to do with carpet tiles in work?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gabriel_Hurl

I used to suffer from it terribly when I lived in a basement during the winter - it was particularly hazardous when the girlfriend popped around

The Real Laoislad

Ye're all a bunch of softies...Static shock me hole..
If ye ever got a 3phase 440volt electric shock ye wouldn't mind an auld static shock now and again..
I remember being thrown halfway across a room  and landing on my back one day,I was putting 3phase sockets into a mechanics garage when some gobshite turned on the juice before i had finished...Now that was a proper electric shock,I had burn marks on my fingers for a month afterwards
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fear ón Srath Bán

True enough RLL, there's a bit of a power difference, but static can build up to an incredible maximum of 20,000 Volts (20KV), and whilst there is no real current to go with it to represent any real danger it's that potential difference that gives the 'spark' in the first place. Had a few hairy ones myself running the juice to various bits and pieces.

The Real Laoislad

Are you a Electrican Fear on Srath Ban?

I saw a poor youngfella nearly killed one day,He was testing a 3phase isolator and the electricity arced across the two probes he was using,the flash that occurred was unreal,Lucky enough he was wearing safety glasses but the hard hat was melted into his head and he had to get skin grafts on his arms he was that severely burned
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fear ón Srath Bán

No RLL, installed CCTVs for a while a good while ago (though have done a few electrical engineering exams). Scary stuff indeed, on one occasion sparks flew as I was wiring up a metal-cased socket with the juice on with a non-insulated screwdriver (own fault), and on another a colleague was running a power line to a camera, tacking it to the (outside) wall, when he lost his grip of it and it swung into a puddle, and went zzzippp, zzizppp!... Eejit!