Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Rawhide on January 08, 2018, 01:59:32 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2018, 03:50:08 PM
Three Billboards is one of the best movies I've seen in years. McDormand is absolutely brilliant as usual and Harrelson was very good. Thought Sam Rockwell absolutely stole the show though.

Class movie, can't understand anyone who doesn't rate this movie.
I thought it was a class film too but I suppose some critics  bypass the black absurd humour  and focus on the blatant implausibility in the storyline  and some  ott corny character depictions.

Special mention for the actor who played the kid in the advert agency.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Main Street on January 09, 2018, 12:12:09 AM
Quote from: Rawhide on January 08, 2018, 01:59:32 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2018, 03:50:08 PM
Three Billboards is one of the best movies I've seen in years. McDormand is absolutely brilliant as usual and Harrelson was very good. Thought Sam Rockwell absolutely stole the show though.

Class movie, can't understand anyone who doesn't rate this movie.
I thought it was a class film too but I suppose some critics  bypass the black absurd humour  and focus on the blatant implausibility in the storyline  and some  ott corny character depictions.

Special mention for the actor who played the kid in the advert agency.

Got to see it last night. Good show, but too many minor characters & sub threads going on. McDormand can sure put a petrol bomb together......sounded like there was Semtex in them.

Milltown Row2

Yeah watched it last night also, good show, even the wife liked it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mrdeeds

Watched Baby Driver. Decent.

trileacman

Just seen 3 billboards. Underwhelmed. 7 physcopaths is a funnier film and in Bruges an all round better crafted piece. Now it has some great scenes but falls for Mc Donaghs traditional weakness, it starts well, lags in the middle and finishes brilliantly.

Mc Dormand is excellent but I thought woody was better than Rockwell. Now it's a good film and all but I'd argue In Bruges and 7 physcopaths aren't that far behind it. I was just a bit underwhelmed by the Oscar talk.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

The Iceman

American Assassin - lots of action, predicatable story but watchable nonetheless 6/10

Mountain between us - watched it with the Mrs - it was alright passed a bit of time - 4/10

Allied - great show, very surprised by it wasn't expecting it to be as good - 7/10

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Newbridge Exile

Been out now for a couple of years but only got round to watching Black Mass , very enjoyable film, I  had thought Johnny Depp was an odd choice to play Whitey Bulger but  he was superb in it.

on the sideline

Not sure if this has been mentioned in here before but watched Bad Day For The Cut last night on Netflix. Thought it was a great watch. Don't know how it didn't make it into cinemas here when it was released.  Anyone else seen it?

nrico2006

Quote from: on the sideline on January 21, 2018, 01:04:08 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned in here before but watched Bad Day For The Cut last night on Netflix. Thought it was a great watch. Don't know how it didn't make it into cinemas here when it was released.  Anyone else seen it?
Thought it was very good
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mrdeeds

Watched Killing them Softly. Decent. Great cast and performances. Maybe a bit too script heavy.

gallsman

Watched Lady Bird after all the Ronan Oscar talk. She's very good in it but the movie is a load of shite. Granted I'm not and never was a teenage girl but I just didn't get it.

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on January 21, 2018, 11:09:46 AM
Watched Lady Bird Street all the Ronan Oscar talk. She's very good in it but the movie is a load of shite. Granted I'm not and never was a teenage girl but I just didn't get it.

I put it on the other night and came to the same conclusions, she played her role absolutely brilliantly but I didn't see the point of the film at all. Instantly forgettable..

HiMucker

Open house -  good build up of suspense,  crap ending.  5/10

Thor Ragnorok -  Some craic,  good soundtrack and really good fun.  8/10

Hacksaw ridge -  good show,  what a man.   Powerful real interviews at the end.  Didnt think I'd enjoy it.  8.5/10

Acts of Violence -  Starts of a bit slow, trys to be like taken for a bit.  Alright watch but feels like a pro gun movie by the NRA.  6/10

Up The Middle

Watched Mollys Game over the weekend. 9/10.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

nrico2006

Watched a few films this week that I had meant to get around to over the years.

The Abyss - average enough.

2001 Space Odyssey - terrible.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'