Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: heffo on January 05, 2018, 10:36:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 05, 2018, 10:31:31 PM
3 billboards outside ebbing missouri is a good watch.

Enjoyed it, lots of Oscar's enroute
Really enjoyed it as well
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2018, 03:50:08 PM
Three Billboards is one of the best movies I've seen in years. McDormand is absolutely brilliant as usual and Harrelson was very good. Thought Sam Rockwell absolutely stole the show though.

It's hard to imagine it topping Get Out but the rich old white liberal Americans who vote for the Oscars will probably avoid an African-American genre movie that critiques them specifically like it's the plague when it comes to the big awards.

Rawhide

Quote from: gallsman on January 07, 2018, 03:50:08 PM
Three Billboards is one of the best movies I've seen in years. McDormand is absolutely brilliant as usual and Harrelson was very good. Thought Sam Rockwell absolutely stole the show though.

Class movie, can't understand anyone who doesn't rate this movie.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Brick Tamlin

Hated the ending though.
Il say nowt for fear of spoliers.

Cunny Funt

Sightly off topic what did you guys make of Kirk Douglas at 101 years old getting wheeled out at the golden globes last night?

mrdeeds

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 08, 2018, 05:54:08 PM
Sightly off topic what did you guys make of Kirk Douglas at 101 years old getting wheeled out at the golden globes last night?

Better than a zipline.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 08, 2018, 05:54:08 PM

If he's able for it what's the harm? He seemed pretty happy. Do people expect older folks to sit in the corner and wait to die or something?

Makes me want to get round to watching Spartacus, if anything.

trileacman

I didn't see it but it couldn't have been any worse than the sight of Mohammed Ali being wheeled out for the olympics in London. A horrible act of manipulation and exploitation, trying desperately to hijack the reputation of a great man to add clout to their own shitty event.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Minder

Quote from: trileacman on January 08, 2018, 09:36:44 PM
I didn't see it but it couldn't have been any worse than the sight of Mohammed Ali being wheeled out for the olympics in London. A horrible act of manipulation and exploitation, trying desperately to hijack the reputation of a great man to add clout to their own shitty event.

Surely his family/advisers have to take the blame there, he was continually getting wheeled out at events for years, they were obviously trying to get every penny they could
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

trileacman

Quote from: Minder on January 08, 2018, 09:38:34 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 08, 2018, 09:36:44 PM

Surely his family/advisers have to take the blame there, he was continually getting wheeled out at events for years, they were obviously trying to get every penny they could

It was f**king disgusting. It's one thing the worthless f**kers of children wheeling him out like a freak the circus but the Olympic committee to say ah yeah let's do it was just as bad.

Milltown Row2

I'm sure Ali agreed to this, on many levels it helped possibly financially for his family and awareness of the illness he had.. I wouldn't get bogged down by it or think it was exploitation, never looked at him like a freak either..

Past Antrim captain Anto Finnegan was at Croke Park with his family in a wheelchair, standing ovation from the near sell out game, raising money and awareness for his illness.. I didn't hear anyone think it was disgusting, in fact it was messages of bravery, strength determination
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2018, 09:55:38 PM
I'm sure Ali agreed to this, on many levels it helped possibly financially for his family and awareness of the illness he had.. I wouldn't get bogged down by it or think it was exploitation, never looked at him like a freak either..

Past Antrim captain Anto Finnegan was at Croke Park with his family in a wheelchair, standing ovation from the near sell out game, raising money and awareness for his illness.. I didn't hear anyone think it was disgusting, in fact it was messages of bravery, strength determination

Totally different situations and illnesses
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on January 08, 2018, 10:01:45 PM

I didn't say they were the same, but how do you know Ali didn't want to bring awareness and raise money? And most of all generate money for his family? 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2018, 10:09:05 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 08, 2018, 10:01:45 PM

I didn't say they were the same, but how do you know Ali didn't want to bring awareness and raise money? And most of all generate money for his family?

Ali had been suffering from Parkinsons for close to 30 years when they trotted him out at the Olympics. He was as about as aware of his surroundings as a cow is as aware of the existence of pluto. It was exploitation pure and simple by one side who wanted the moolah and another side who wanted to piggyback off his reputation.

Milltown Row2

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/27/sport/olympics-muhammad-ali/index.html

Raising money pure and simple.. not just for his family but his projects too.. Exploiting in a positive way