The denationalisation of Irish Rugby

Started by oneillcup2007, September 21, 2007, 01:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on September 21, 2007, 02:01:04 PM
I would have thought you'd have seen this as a good thing but instead you want the team to adopt a partitionist mentality.

Of course Sammy is a big opponent of partition  ::)
Ask me holy bollix

deiseach

Quote from: Donagh on September 21, 2007, 02:06:05 PM
Load of balls. If a professional athlete needs a shit song to make him play well, he's in the wrong business.

Pithy

MW

Quote from: Donagh on September 21, 2007, 02:06:05 PM
Quote from: oneillcup2007 on September 21, 2007, 01:27:59 PM
agreed.  Despite what you think Donagh, there are a lot of people holding these views. I personally think the lack of an anthm or flag thoughout the rugby website, games etc will haunt this very talented group of individaula.  Donagh if they do not represent the Irish nation and the symbols of that nation then who the hell do they represent?  Wihout nationaism you can have no national team.  look at the freakin welsh in sport.  Is that the way we are heading.  With attitudes like McDonagh's on here I have no doubt. 

Load of balls. If a professional athlete needs a shit song to make him play well, he's in the wrong business.

I agree on this one, in that if I were to play at international level in my chosen sport, they could play the theme from the Magic Roundabout or Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go and I'd still be fired up for it.

his holiness nb

The crowd would struggle singing along too when George belts out "I wanna reach that hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhhhhh"
Ask me holy bollix

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 21, 2007, 02:05:19 PM
Quote from: parttimeexile on September 21, 2007, 02:03:45 PM
I dont know much about anthems or politics but I do know that listening to Irelands Call gives me a dose of the skitter so no wonder the Irish team cant play well.   8)

Maybe they should go back to The Rose of Tralee. ;D

Ah jaysus no way, even Wales beat us the day they played that crap ! (95 WC)

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 21, 2007, 02:07:57 PM
Quote from: SammyG on September 21, 2007, 02:01:04 PM
I would have thought you'd have seen this as a good thing but instead you want the team to adopt a partitionist mentality.

Of course Sammy is a big opponent of partition  ::)
When did I say I opposed partition? I fully support partition. I was commenting on 5Times wanting to introduce partition into an all-island team.

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 21, 2007, 02:12:47 PM
The crowd would struggle singing along too when George belts out "I wanna reach that hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhhhhh"

It'd be worth it in the end...altogther now..."Jitterbug..." :)

dubinhell

Quote from: deiseach on September 21, 2007, 01:30:39 PM
The Irish rugby team does not 'represent' anyone other than the Irish rugby community. It's not for people outside of that community to lecture them on how to deal with a thorny internal issue, i.e. the use of flags and anthems.

Then why are they called "Ireland" and play in the 6 "Nations"?. They puport to represent the isalnd i.e. us

Tubberman

Jesus lads, will ye try to look at this sensibly.
The Ireland rugby team represents the island of Ireland - comprising the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Amhran na bhFiann represents ROI only. The tricolour represents ROI only. Like it or not, those are the facts.
Therefore there has to be some sort of a compromise when it comes to flags and anthems.
Most people agree a better job could have been done on the anthem, but surely Ireland's Call is better than them playing The Rose of Tralee as happened in the past :)

Isn't it great that we have a united Ireland team anyway? Better than the soccer situation. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

downredblack

"Amhran na bhFiann represents ROI only. The tricolour represents ROI only. Like it or not, those are the facts. "

Do nationalists in the 6 have no say in this ?

Tubberman

Quote"Amhran na bhFiann represents ROI only. The tricolour represents ROI only. Like it or not, those are the facts. "

I'm talking officially, not aspirationally.
If they were the official flag and anthem of Northern Ireland as well, this thread would never have started

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: downredblack on September 21, 2007, 02:36:54 PM
"Amhran na bhFiann represents ROI only. The tricolour represents ROI only. Like it or not, those are the facts. "

Obviously not, the West has spoken!!  >:(

We wouldn't want to give our opinions, it might offend in this new age of "inclusiveness and reconciliation" - looks like its back to keeping our heads below the parapet again.
Speak when spoken to..... Yes boss.
Tbc....

Tubberman

QuoteObviously not, the West has spoken!! 

We wouldn't want to give our opinions, it might offend in this new age of "inclusiveness and reconciliation" - looks like its back to keeping our heads below the parapet again.

What are you raving about? Where did I say you're not entitled to an opinion? No need to get all offended and sarcastic just because my opinion doesn't match yours  ::)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tubberman on September 21, 2007, 02:49:36 PM
QuoteObviously not, the West has spoken!! 

What are you raving about? Where did I say you're not entitled to an opinion? No need to get all offended and sarcastic just because my opinion doesn't match yours  ::)

My response was to your post and a few others.
Tbc....

SammyG

Quote from: downredblack on September 21, 2007, 02:36:54 PM

You can have whatever say you'd like, it won't change the facts.