IFA begging Ireland players to play for them

Started by T Fearon, August 19, 2007, 01:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2007, 11:20:53 AM
1 nil to the Boys in Green 1-0 to the Boys in Green! ;D ;D ;D ;D.

If that is a reference to Staunton's calling Gibson up to the Senior Squad, then be careful what you wish for!

Because it if turns out that Gibson is not eligible for the ROI, then it could be an own goal!

"Nil One, for the Boys in Green..."  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Solomon Kane

Quote from: T Fearon on August 20, 2007, 09:48:50 AM
DG qualifies to play for Ireland by virtue of his Irish Passport.

No he doesn't. Neither a passport or nationality are enough. He only qualifies if he was (a) Born within the territory of the ROI (26 counties), or (b) has a grandparent born within the territory of the ROI or pre partition.

Star Spangler

Article 15,1 seems quite clear-cut to me.  Gibson holds the nationality of Ireland and is therefore eligible to play for Ireland if he chooses.  It's up to him entirely.

QuoteNeither a passport or nationality are enough.
That's untrue.  Read it for yourself.

http://topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeamBlog/?p=208

MW

I think that especially since having played for NI under-16s, Gibson's case would come under "If a Player has more than one nationality...or if a Player is eligible to play for several Associations' teams due to nationality".

Doesn't the birth/parent/grandparent/residence bit come in somewhere under chaning your team?

Star Spangler

It seems it's only once he's played at "A" level that there's no going back (see below).  As I said, it seems obvious to me that once he has an Irish passport it's up to him to decide.  I suppose that explains why both managers are trying to talk him round.  I doubt if FIFA will say anything about it.

Quote3. If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several Associations' teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:

1. He has not played a match (either in full or in part) at"A" international level for his current Association, and if at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he already had the nationality of the Association's team for which he wishes to play.
   2. He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already played for his previous Association. A player may exercise this right only once.

A Quinn Martin Production

Complex issue this, though it seems to me that this hinges on which country you are a citizen of. Recently we have had the example of Coluatti and Tamuz who have been banned from playing for Israel due to the fact that under current Israeli law, they are not full Israeli citizens. Even tho' Tamuz has lived there since he was three and Colautti is married to an Israeli, neither is enough for Israeli legislators.  So is Gibson a full citizen of the Irish Republic under Irish law??  If yes, it seems he can play ???
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

SammyG

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 20, 2007, 05:36:33 PM
Complex issue this, though it seems to me that this hinges on which country you are a citizen of. Recently we have had the example of Coluatti and Tamuz who have been banned from playing for Israel due to the fact that under current Israeli law, they are not full Israeli citizens. Even tho' Tamuz has lived there since he was three and Colautti is married to an Israeli, neither is enough for Israeli legislators.  So is Gibson a full citizen of the Irish Republic under Irish law??  If yes, it seems he can play ???

Citizenship is largely irrelevant. You have to fulfill the FIFA requirements, simply having a passport is not enough and DG doesn't fulfill any of the requirements.

A Quinn Martin Production

I would think that from my reading of it, citizenship is hugely relevant. ???  Can you play for Holland without being a Dutch citizen??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

ExiledGael

How do you know when and where Darron Gibson's grandparents were born Sammy???
Maybe that's how he has an Irish passport

SammyG

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 20, 2007, 06:04:26 PM
I would think that from my reading of it, citizenship is hugely relevant. ???  Can you play for Holland without being a Dutch citizen??

If you've already played for Spain (for example) then your Dutch passport wouldn't be enough, you would need to meet the other criteria.

SammyG

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 20, 2007, 06:05:19 PM
How do you know when and where Darron Gibson's grandparents were born Sammy???
Maybe that's how he has an Irish passport
I'm fairly sure if DG had some RoI grandparents we would have heard about it at some time in the last 2 years and the FAI wouldn't be needing to go to FIFA for rulings.

Star Spangler

Sammy, either you're in denial or you're not too good at the old reading!!

SammyG

Quote from: Star Spangler on August 20, 2007, 06:09:15 PM
Sammy, either you're in denial or you're not too good at the old reading!!
What am I in denial about?

inisceithleann

There's every chance that Gibson's grandparents were born pre partition. If so then he'll qualify will he not?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Star Spangler

Quote3. If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several Associations' teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches to the Association of another country of which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:

1. He has not played a match (either in full or in part) at"A" international level for his current Association, and if at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition for his current Association, he already had the nationality of the Association's team for which he wishes to play.
  2. He is not permitted to play for his new Association in any competition in which he has already played for his previous Association. A player may exercise this right only once.