Pay for Election Staff.

Started by Shrewdness, May 30, 2014, 06:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Someone asked me today, how much pay Presiding Officers and Poll Clerks got for being on duty in Polling Stations on election days. It seems there are all sorts of myths out there. I had to admit that i didn't know what they get. Anyone on here know?

T Fearon

Why would someone pose a question like that to someone like you who doesn't know? Why would the questioner think you might have known? What does it matter?

Shrewdness

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

gallsman

I have a number of friends working in Belfast City Council. Considering the current economic circumstances and the numbers collecting the dole every week, it's a disgrace that full-time council staff were offered first refusal on an overwhelming majority of election-count related jobs. Double and triple time of their normal council pay being offered depending on the hours.

I have no doubt the official reason would be something invoking data protection or vetting of individuals but at the end of the day it's just "jobs for the boys". Absolute joke.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

People on the dole won't do it because as I understand they will lose the amount they earn from their dole. Some years ago one of the top brass in DOE issued a memo saying that Civil Servants should not apply for these jobs. The memo was withdrawn a week later as the Electoral Office was struggling to get participants. I used to do it years ago but its a shitty job and you effectively do 2 days work in 1 ie 15 hours. Not worth it

LeoMc

Quote from: T Fearon on May 30, 2014, 10:45:52 PM
Why would someone pose a question like that to someone like you who doesn't know? Why would the questioner think you might have known? What does it matter?

I share Tonys disgust with this starting of random and pointless threads.

Minder

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on May 31, 2014, 09:40:08 AM
People on the dole won't do it because as I understand they will lose the amount they earn from their dole. Some years ago one of the top brass in DOE issued a memo saying that Civil Servants should not apply for these jobs. The memo was withdrawn a week later as the Electoral Office was struggling to get participants. I used to do it years ago but its a shitty job and you effectively do 2 days work in 1 ie 15 hours. Not worth it

Yeah it's basically part time work, which will be taken in against their dole.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"