Any Engineers Here?

Started by thejuice, May 28, 2007, 03:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Dont worry just theorectical, not a real job just a project.

Just looking for advice, Im trying to specify welds for a stainless steel structure. I am using 300mm Stainless steel tubes to hold up a glass wall. There will be a glazing bars at 1m holding the glass in place.

What type of welds should be used to connect the stainless steel together. if you need any more info just let me know. Yes i am aware how huge the tubes are. At the moment Im looking at using Flux Cored Arc Welds, Anyone have any info on standards of welds for such a structure
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bud Wiser

Ring a guy called David Curry in Tara Stainless in Navan and if you approach the question nicely he will tell you.  ("I have a job for you but how would you weld it...!)    Meself gets all my stainless work done with them and as far as I know there are different grades of stainless steel that come into the equation.  Google Tara Stainless and then ring thgem and tell them that you have a job that is too small to bother them with and ask them and that way you will get expert advice.  If you do get it keep it for me. When Laois won the League Final in 85/86 we kicked the cup around the town in Abbeyleix and it cost us a fortune to get it repaired.  I hate to think what might happen to Sam this year.

AZOffaly

Jaysus Bud, is that a tradition in Laois? After ye won the Under 21 in 1994, ye murdered that cup as well. I think ye tied it out the back of the bus :D

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 29, 2007, 07:36:41 AM
Ring a guy called David Curry in Tara Stainless in Navan and if you approach the question nicely he will tell you.  ("I have a job for you but how would you weld it...!)    Meself gets all my stainless work done with them and as far as I know there are different grades of stainless steel that come into the equation.  Google Tara Stainless and then ring thgem and tell them that you have a job that is too small to bother them with and ask them and that way you will get expert advice.  If you do get it keep it for me. When Laois won the League Final in 85/86 we kicked the cup around the town in Abbeyleix and it cost us a fortune to get it repaired.  I hate to think what might happen to Sam this year.

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2007, 10:10:44 AM
Jaysus Bud, is that a tradition in Laois? After ye won the Under 21 in 1994, ye murdered that cup as well. I think ye tied it out the back of the bus :D

Only in Abbeyleix ::) Ye're not as well rared as us in Durrow ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bud Wiser

As far as I can remember they brought the cup to Benny's pub and it was going around and someone handed it to a certain man who was a selector on the county hurling team.  Seemingly he was not asked to go with the official party on the bus and he drop-kicked the cup out the door and it hit a bus, or a bus hit it.

The Real Laoislad

I know a few lads who drink in Benny's...Im not a bit surprised :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bud Wiser

A bit ironic this but yesterday I was reminded by Dublin City Council to remove a pedestal that is located ten meters north of the Spire in O'Connell St. They are bolted into the pavement and it is no big deal.  No more than ten minutes later same official rings. Can you come in immediately, one of our employees has reversed a truck into your pedestal and it is on the ground.   I swear to Jesus, I drove like a lunatic and having been wisely advised from what I told the official, yer man was gonre because if he had been there when I arrived he would have been on the ground as well.

So, guess what I am looking for first thing on this bright sunny morning - a fecking stainless steel welder.

(If anyone is around on Saturday Morning it will be interesting to see how they are going to put this lad into a cradle, a roundy tube, with a dish cloth and lower him down over the Spire to clean it)

illdecide

Quote from: thejuice on May 28, 2007, 03:52:41 PM
Dont worry just theorectical, not a real job just a project.

Just looking for advice, Im trying to specify welds for a stainless steel structure. I am using 300mm Stainless steel tubes to hold up a glass wall. There will be a glazing bars at 1m holding the glass in place.

What type of welds should be used to connect the stainless steel together. if you need any more info just let me know. Yes i am aware how huge the tubes are. At the moment Im looking at using Flux Cored Arc Welds, Anyone have any info on standards of welds for such a structure

Explain this to that guy in Tarra Stainless he will know and if not a big glazing company can give you the info, glass is light (roughly 0.6kn per m) and if you take wind loading for the structure as well (another 1.5kn) it will not take much to keep her up.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch