WC 2030 Bid

Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 02, 2021, 10:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: sid waddell on March 04, 2021, 04:18:32 PM
The Cotton Bowl hosted the 1994 World Cup as well and has been considerably upgraded since, it's a fantastic venue but it seems it isn't in contention for 2026 because of the Cowboys' stadium, which is for me an inferior venue

FIFA feel an affiliation with cowboys.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

grounded

Quote from: armaghniac on March 04, 2021, 06:51:38 PM
The Cotton Bowl hosted the 1994 World Cup as well and has been considerably upgraded since, it's a fantastic venue but it seems it isn't in contention for 2026 because of the Cowboys' stadium, which is for me an inferior venue

FIFA feel an affiliation with cowboys.

Yep, Cowboys with deep pockets.

dec

Quote from: dec on March 04, 2021, 02:46:10 PM
The problem with most of the college stadiums from a World Cup perspective is the location. Tuscaloosa, Ann Arbor, College Station, Gainesville etc are not really cities that that tourists want to visit.
Berkeley, Stanford, LA Coliseum (USC), the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, the Sun Devil stadium in Phoenix are all in big metro areas

Phoenix is too hot in June/July

trailer

I hope the US and FIFA have learned from the last WC in 94 which was pretty terribly run. Games in the wrong places at the wrong time of day. It made the football pretty terrible. Was probably the worst WC i can remember.

dublin7

2030 will mark 100 years since the first world cup was held in Uruguay. Based on this the WC is likely to go to South America rather than Europe or the US

thewobbler

Quote from: dublin7 on March 05, 2021, 12:33:46 PM
2030 will mark 100 years since the first world cup was held in Uruguay. Based on this the WC is likely to go to South America rather than Europe or the US

Would the fact that Qatar has a World Cup coming up not convince you that FIFA don't really give a damn for tradition or cultural milestones?

dublin7

Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2021, 12:45:33 PM

Would the fact that Qatar has a World Cup coming up not convince you that FIFA don't really give a damn for tradition or cultural milestones?

There cleasrly backhanders involved in that, but what it did do was focus attention of FIFA. Previously people turned a blind eye to shall we say suspicious activities in FIFA (just look at the Delaney/Blatter deal), but the fact Qatar got the world cup was such a joke all sorts attention suddenly started to focus on FIFA and led to the criminal investigations/ arrests since then.

I've no doubt there's still corruption in FIFA, but they'll be looking to avoid the chaos of the Qatar decision.

Hound

US is hosting 2026, so obviously not in the running for 2030.

The 2030 contenders list is interesting.

Uruguay-Argentina-Paraguay-Chile going for a joint bid looks to be the leading South American bid.
But Colombia-Ecuador-Peru also seem to be planning a bid

But I think it'll stands against both of the SA bids that 2026 is going to USA-Canada-Mexico, despite the 100 year anniversary.

Other likely European bidders:
Portugal-Spain
Romania-Greece-Bulgaria-Serbia

Africa
Morocco pushing strongest (came second in the 2026 vote), this time probably in a joint bid with Algeria and/or Tunisia
Egypt want to host it on their own
Cameroon wants to lead a sub-Saharan bid

It seems Asia not in the running. 

thewobbler

How does any of those European / African bids get 16 x 40k stadiums in 15 locations?

The rules must be more lenient for the 48 team World Cup

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: dublin7 on March 05, 2021, 12:52:23 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2021, 12:45:33 PM

There cleasrly backhanders involved in that, but what it did do was focus attention of FIFA. Previously people turned a blind eye to shall we say suspicious activities in FIFA (just look at the Delaney/Blatter deal), but the fact Qatar got the world cup was such a joke all sorts attention suddenly started to focus on FIFA and led to the criminal investigations/ arrests since then.

I've no doubt there's still corruption in FIFA, but they'll be looking to avoid the chaos of the Qatar decision.

How better to distance yourself from corruption than give thr tournament to a country that lost a bid by refusing to pay a bribe?