Good news for US "illegals"

Started by Star Spangler, May 18, 2007, 01:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

So you are saying we should choose between our families or building a better life in the states.... and get over it??

J70

Quote from: new devil on May 18, 2007, 07:47:45 PM
So you are saying we should choose between our families or building a better life in the states.... and get over it??

Try the legal route. If it doesn't work, tough. You work with the hand you're dealt. The states is not the only option on the table anyway, and Ireland is not exactly a third world backwater anymore.

J70

Quote from: redandblack4ever on May 18, 2007, 04:34:22 PM

You remind me of some Irish immigrants to the US. Once they've made it, financially, they forget from whence they came. In other words, "I've got mine and f**k everybody else".

You're a real pathetic excuse for an Irishman in my book. Shame on you.

An appreciation for the rule of law makes one less of an Irishman, does it?

Are all of you still in Ireland willing to open up the borders to anyone and everyone who wants to make a life in a well-off European country like Ireland? Or would you prefer people to come in legally and in a controlled fashion that meets the needs of the country and allows the immigrants themselves to contribute to and receive the benefits that being a legal resident or citizen allows?

armaghniac

QuoteSo you are saying we should choose between our families or building a better life in the states.... and get over it??

Yes. When people went to the US illegally they did so deliberately and in the knowledge that going back and forth would be difficult. By choosing this lifestyle they have given the dollar more importance than their family.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

new devil

Quote from: armaghniac on May 18, 2007, 08:00:04 PM
QuoteSo you are saying we should choose between our families or building a better life in the states.... and get over it??

Yes. When people went to the US illegally they did so deliberately and in the knowledge that going back and forth would be difficult. By choosing this lifestyle they have given the dollar more importance than their family.

I think you's have taken me up wrong here, the point i was making was that FLIRTY FLAN said she missed her family which AMAGHNIAC more or less told her was tuff!! which was a bit of a sc**bag thing to say! we are well aware that we are here of our own choice... that doesnt mean we dont miss our families!

armaghniac

I didn't say tough. I said go home and see your family. New devil called me a "sc**bag" for saying this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Flirtyflan

Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2007, 07:43:15 PM
Quote from: cullahmo on May 18, 2007, 03:38:51 PM
How do you know they are not paying income tax? I lived illegally for eight years in the states and always paid income tax. Stew, how did you get your papers? Did you when it in a lottery?

You paid your full debt of income tax every year on a fake social security number?

I.m here nearly nine years(illegally), I pay my taxes every year LEGALLY. Its called a tax id number!!!
So whats your point J70?? ???

J70

Quote from: Flirtyflan on May 18, 2007, 09:10:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2007, 07:43:15 PM
Quote from: cullahmo on May 18, 2007, 03:38:51 PM
How do you know they are not paying income tax? I lived illegally for eight years in the states and always paid income tax. Stew, how did you get your papers? Did you when it in a lottery?

You paid your full debt of income tax every year on a fake social security number?

I.m here nearly nine years(illegally), I pay my taxes every year LEGALLY. Its called a tax id number!!!
So whats your point J70?? ???

If you're paying the full amount of tax you owe, I would say you're an exception among illegal Irish (at least in my experience).

Does your tax ID number (presumably its the employer/business number you're talking about) serve for income tax, social security etc. purposes as well? Do you not need a social security number?

redandblack4ever

QuoteAn appreciation for the rule of law makes one less of an Irishman, does it?

Good try J70, but the "rule of law" is just another phony right wing talking point.

What about the rule of law in regard to fining employers who hire "illegals". How many big businesses, ie., meat packing, agri-businesses, have you seen being fined since the last immigration reform bill Simpson-Mazzoli in 1986? Not too many, that I know of.

Hell, even FEMA hired "illegals" to help out in the clean-up of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and, one other reminder GWB (I call him Chucklenuts), even tried to get the prevailing union wages cut for the union people in New Orleans after the debacle. He tried but even the brain dead Republicans in Congress realized that wouldn't fly.

What I always find amazing is this: whenever there's an economic downturn in the US, everyone starts to blame the immigrants. It's happened time and again. Do yourself a favor and read some American history about immigration. It might open your eyes a bit.

Put your blame where it belongs, with the corporations and companies that don't give a rats ass about anything but their bottom line: the not so anymore almighty American dollar.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

J70

Quote from: redandblack4ever on May 18, 2007, 09:57:36 PM
QuoteAn appreciation for the rule of law makes one less of an Irishman, does it?

Good try J70, but the "rule of law" is just another phony right wing talking point.

What about the rule of law in regard to fining employers who hire "illegals". How many big businesses, ie., meat packing, agri-businesses, have you seen being fined since the last immigration reform bill Simpson-Mazzoli in 1986? Not too many, that I know of.

Hell, even FEMA hired "illegals" to help out in the clean-up of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and, one other reminder GWB (I call him Chucklenuts), even tried to get the prevailing union wages cut for the union people in New Orleans after the debacle. He tried but even the brain dead Republicans in Congress realized that wouldn't fly.

What I always find amazing is this: whenever there's an economic downturn in the US, everyone starts to blame the immigrants. It's happened time and again. Do yourself a favor and read some American history about immigration. It might open your eyes a bit.

Put your blame where it belongs, with the corporations and companies that don't give a rats ass about anything but their bottom line: the not so anymore almighty American dollar.

Good try yourself, but you're not going to put words in my mouth.

I did not assign blame for anything on illegals, except that they are breaking the law if the are in the country illegally.

I don't dispute for a second that certain industries are profiting from using illegal immigrant labour, or that there is hypocrisy all across the board. You'll get no argument from me about going after these employers.

And spare me the patronizing "American history" and blaming illegals for "economic downturns" crap.

redandblack4ever

Whatever floats your boat, J70. I wasn't being patronizing, just pointing out a historical fact.

Quite honestly, this bill doesn't have snowball's chance in hell of passing both Houses of Congress.

It just might pass in the Senate, but it still has to go back to the House of Representatives for final approval and that'll never happen. Once again the braindead Republicans, like Tom Tancredo, Duncan Hunter, James Sensenbrenner and my own DINO congresscritter Daniel Lipinski, IL-03, will vote nay..

This is the only issue that the Pukes can run on in 2008, it's their bread and butter. They can't run on the Iraq War or the "booming" economy anymore. The American public have finally woken up to that dung especially with gasoline prices heading for $4.00/gallon, so they'll drag this out as long as they can.

mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

mannix

No one is being forced to stay in america and break the law of the country.I have no sympathy for those doing it and believe they are kidding themselves staying there illegally, no taxes, healthcare,drivers license or prospects for a high percentage of them,I know because i lived therelegally and seen the thing first hand.

new devil

Who said we were forced to stay here  ???
and you haveing no sympathy for us....sure thats just ruined my day :(

mannix

exactly, no one is forcing you,i NEVER said there was.America is fine for a year if you are illegal,but any more than that unless you are making serious money(cash) is a cod and I am sure you would agree.I have a sister in that boat and she is there 10 years without a visit home once and no millions to show for it, what the point of such an exercise like that is beyond me.
What happens when she gets sick?
What happens when she is too old to work?
What happens if she has a child, who pays the bills then when her illegal boyfriends 800 dollars per week is a temporary job in construction?
Where is the pension?
As you say time to wake up and smell the coffee, the days of needing to go to america and never be heard of again are gone,my sister and her companions fool themselves that america is great, she does not get a penny in wages because its all tips and the owner of the restaurant takes a share of it for "expenses", i WAS THERE legally for a long time and have american citizenship since last year, i left it for other reasons but not because i was not making good money,I was and had a good time and brought home some nice stuff for myself.
America is great for a lot but not really the place to be thinking of growing old with the type of work illegals get,I stop my rant and hope you have luck in getting some sort of visa to allow your life in america to become easy.

redandblack4ever

Mannix, you bring up very good points in your post, especially about health care and pension.

As I said earlier, this bill doesn't stand a chance but count yourself lucky that you were able to get your US citizenship. At least if you ever decide to return, even for just a holiday, you can, no questions asked.

As for your sister and her friends, they better start thinking long and hard about their futures. If her boyfriend's job goes by the wayside; if he's in construction it just might, things are going to get very dicey for them both.

I know quite a few of the young Irish illegals here in Chicago and most of them are looking on this bill as being their last chance. If this bill doesn't pass, a whole lot of them will be returning home.