Concerned Gaels

Started by give her dixie, June 20, 2018, 02:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 20, 2018, 11:41:34 AM
If you flew a Palestine flag inside a premier league ground would you be asked to leave?
(Honest question, I dont know the answer).

It would be confiscated. Not sure if you'd be asked to leave, I don't think so, but you'd be closely watched.

sid waddell

Amazing how confederate flags and bible-thumping evangelical nutcases with huge signs are allowed at GAA matches, but Palestinian flags aren't.

seafoid

The GAA has always been political in the north . The breakthrough Down team of 1960 and many others were regularly hassled by the insecurity forces.
The British Army built a helicopter base on the grounds of Crossmaglen Rangers. "f**k youse.  We are going to win an All Ireland" was the result.
Aidan McAnespie was shot dead outside a football pitch.

I think it was Nehru who said the man who has gotten all he wants is in favour of peace and order.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

A very tricky one. Given the range of views on this thread alone it's easy to see why the Palestinian demonstration was banned.

Snapchap

Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2018, 07:02:42 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on June 20, 2018, 03:14:12 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2018, 02:28:22 AM
HQ need to stand their ground on this one. A very small but very loud minority support this politicising of the games. It remains incredibly distasteful to me that these people use the Palestinian cause as a prop to further their own selfish ends.

If anyone wants to pretend that all but a few of these people have any real interest in their plights and it isn't yet another attempt to try to wind up unionists in the north, cop on. Creating divisions rather than trying to bridge them, even in sport.

Just shut up. Please. Shut up and take time to read and understand the sentiments of the people not only in Ulster, but across Ireland  right now.

Choices:

a) allow every politically attuned member of our Association to use the GAA as a vehicle for promoting their politics, and therefore inevitably over time generate negative publicity and infighting.

Or

b) remain politically neutral and concentrate on football and hurling.

—-

Those who would choose to follow a) are narrow minded, myopic fools.

While those who chose B are living in a fantasy land. Sport always has been and always will be political to some degree, but when it becomes as much or more about humanitarianism as bout politics, then people have a right, or a responsibility to speak up at every available opportunity. It was sporting boycotts (amongst other boycotts) which contributed hugely to the ending of apartheid in South Africa. Here is an opportunity to once again be on the right side of history, instead of hiding behind 'keep the politics out of it' bull.

Snapchap

Quote from: Beffs on June 20, 2018, 08:18:44 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2018, 07:45:25 AM
If you see the cruelty in the flesh it is very hard to do nothing. There are so many parallels with our own history . GAA people are decent so why not leverage that ?

When I go to watch a match, I go to support my county and watch a match. I'm not interested in having my attendance be leveraged or exploited to support political causes, thanks very much. My being a decent skin, or an utter tosspot doesn't really come into it.

The petition is not advocating that you be forced to carry a Palestine flag. It's demanding that the Palestine not be treated as an offensive item and barred by the authorities.

longballin

Is calling for human rights political?

trailer

Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 01:46:07 PM

Who decides what is a human rights issue and what isn't? Should they be flying the Mexico flag given what is happening in Texas.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Snapchap on June 20, 2018, 01:39:20 PM
HQ need to stand their ground on this one. A very small but very loud minority support this politicising of the games. It remains incredibly distasteful to me that these people use the Palestinian cause as a prop to further their own selfish ends.

If anyone wants to pretend that all but a few of these people have any real interest in their plights and it isn't yet another attempt to try to wind up unionists in the north, cop on. Creating divisions rather than trying to bridge them, even in sport.

Just shut up. Please. Shut up and take time to read and understand the sentiments of the people not only in Ulster, but across Ireland  right now.

Choices:

a) allow every politically attuned member of our Association to use the GAA as a vehicle for promoting their politics, and therefore inevitably over time generate negative publicity and infighting.

Or

—-

While those who chose B are living in a fantasy land. Sport always has been and always will be political to some degree, but when it becomes as much or more about humanitarianism as bout politics, then people have a right, or a responsibility to speak up at every available opportunity. It was sporting boycotts (amongst other boycotts) which contributed hugely to the ending of apartheid in South Africa. Here is an opportunity to once again be on the right side of history, instead of hiding behind 'keep the politics out of it' bull.
Anyone who uses that term can jog on in my view.

dec

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 20, 2018, 01:54:12 PM

Choices:

Or

—-

Anyone who uses that term can jog on in my view.

Talking of annoying terms

rrhf

Has the Gaa top level allowed the organisation / personnelln/ grounds to be used for or involved itself in political expressions in the last 10 years? Honest answers only please.

longballin

Quote from: trailer on June 20, 2018, 01:53:59 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 01:46:07 PM

Who decides what is a human rights issue and what isn't? Should they be flying the Mexico flag given what is happening in Texas.

Yeah and burn the Stars and Stripes

Beffs

No one is stopping you speaking out. No one is stopping you organizing a boycott of Israeli products or sporting events. Knock yourself out.

Snapchap

Quote from: Beffs on June 20, 2018, 02:07:14 PM

No one is stopping you speaking out. No one is stopping you organizing a boycott of Israeli products or sporting events. Knock yourself out.

Well the Gardaí were confiscating Palestine flags in Navan, so....

seafoid

The Dunnes strikers back in the 80s got awful abuse from the Dunnes stores for better value is not political crowd  . Everything is political.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU