Haemochromatosis - the Irish curse

Started by Shamrock Shore, January 25, 2018, 12:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Folks

As we all get older it's time for those who haven't been looking after themselves to do so before it's too late.

Haemochromotosis can be a silent assailant. It's a high level of iron in the blood that, over time, will damage the liver and ultimately lead to liver failure

It's estimated that perhaps 1:5 of the Irish population carry the gene - so in some quarters it's know as the Irish or Celtic curse.

I was diagnosed in 2011 - well before any damage was done so I keep a constant eye on iron levels by having blood tests and getting 'drained' maybe once/twice a year.

So if you are in doubt go the GP/doctor and ask for the test and check your iron levels. Before it's took late.

Lots of information out there - I won't post any links.

The Iceman

Check out Dr Ben Lynch in Washington, USA. He does a lot of work on genes and fixing genes.  Has a new book out next week too called dirty genes.
Very interesting stuff and lots of information on combating inherited tendencies/sickness from generations and how to "clean" them up...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

laoislad

Coincidently  I only just got bloods done last week and was told my Iron levels were slightly high. A 48 on whatever scale they use.
Have to go back in a few months to get them checked again.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Billys Boots

You'll have to stay off the Guinness SS; maybe Coors Light could become your tipple.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 25, 2018, 01:12:22 PM
You'll have to stay off the Guinness SS; maybe Coors Light could become your tipple.  :P

I thought it was because he was a babe magnet.

magpie seanie

Mate of mine was diagnosed a couple of years back and like SS he just goes in to get blood taken periodically and he's sound. My bloods are checked regularly so I'm not in any danger of it getting missed.

In hiding

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 25, 2018, 01:41:48 PM
Mate of mine was diagnosed a couple of years back and like SS he just goes in to get blood taken periodically and he's sound. My bloods are checked regularly so I'm not in any danger of it getting missed.
It's ferritin levels in the blood which you need checked. It wouldnt be a normal test when you are getting bloods checked. The extra iron in your blood causes loads of issues if not caught. Bad blood = loads of problems
Obvious enough I suppose

Armamike

I was diagnosed with it around the age of 40.  It was accidentally found in a routine blood test. Had no symptoms. Meant getting blood taken once a week for 6 months which was a pain but since then it's been once or twice a year so very manageable. Sadly, people have died with it in older age before being diagnosed.  Life long non drinkers with liver problems etc.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Lar Naparka

I'm afraid I also have the condition and was damn lucky that it was discovered before it would have been too late to avoid serious organ damage. Ferritin is the bucko to watch out for and a simple bloodiest will determine if one carries the gene or not.
Problem is gps don't a a rule include it in the list of conditions they check for so there's no harm in asking whoever gp you go to that you'd like to have a ferritin test carried. He/she should be able to do it there and then. The average level for a healthy adult is about 100 on the scale used.My level had got to 2,250 before it was discovered, by chance I might add. To get the level down to within the normal range meant weekly visits to the hospital where I had roughly a pint of blood drawn off for more than two years.
I've been lucky I suppose that my case was discovered before it was too late to prevent organ damage but it meant two years lying on a trolley and being unable to move for an hour or more while the blood was being removed.
I'm told that's what killed Joe Dolan and the older Brian Lenihan as well.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Main Street

I always thought SS was a "Man of Iron",  now I know he overfloweth.

Shamrock Shore

My levels never got that high Lar but I have heard horror stories from my doctor. You were lucky to catch it as that is into the serious scale. That was some ordeal....Over 100 pints to get the levels down!! I had about 20 I think. I went off public and went private as Vincents in Dublin was swamped and it was damn hard getting a slot. Luckily as soon as I went private the VHI started covering it.

My GP, old school enough, claims young lads are drinking more and starting at an earlier age they 'we' used to so they could have irreparable damage done by their mid 30s to their liver.

One 26 year old he saw has a Ferritin level of 3,500 which is Chernobyl scale. He will almost certainly need a transplant unless radical lifestyle changes are put into effect.

For the sake of a few bob will ye all get a blood test done to check your ferritin levels. Call it the 'new national league starting' resolution.

Edit - LOL Main Street......getting rusty now that I am over 50  :-[

laoislad

What levels are ye talking about?
I was told my levels of iron were 48 and this was apparently slightly high but ye are talking about levels in the thousands?

Armamike

LL, 48 isn't overly high, but get yourself checked out in 6 months time. If it shoots up to 60 or 70 get the gene test done.

My ferritin level was around 800 when i was diagnosed. Not that bad compared to others who have been in the thousands.

Anyone know what is the earliest age children can get tested?
That's just, like your opinion man.

laoislad

Quote from: Armamike on January 25, 2018, 04:12:10 PM
LL, 48 isn't overly high, but get yourself checked out in 6 months time. If it shoots up to 60 or 70 get the gene test done.

My ferritin level was around 800 when i was diagnosed. Not that bad compared to others who have been in the thousands.

Anyone know what is the earliest age children can get tested?
My GP said it was borderline high but to recheck in a few months.

Shamrock Shore

60-70 is not high but he may not have been referring to ferritin.

Best raise it specifically next time he has the rubber glove on *snap*  :o