The Gender Pay Gap

Started by screenexile, January 13, 2018, 04:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Just listened to the audio of Sopel and Humphrys discussing Carrie Gracie's resignation and the fact they should both have their salaries reduced so that there can be parity between genders in the BBC.

Also Ewan MacKenna saying that in a capitalist society sportswomen can't demand to be paid the same as men because male sports bring in more money and that's life.

I know we haven't many women on the board but just wanted to gauge opinion on it.

Personally I have no issue with women getting paid the same as men for the same position or more if they're performing better than their male counterparts. It's not quite as simple as that though unfortunately but would be interesting to hear an alternative view or even employers who have had to face the issue?

It could descend into madness but hopefully not!

foxcommander

Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2018, 04:05:04 PM
Just listened to the audio of Sopel and Humphrys discussing Carrie Gracie's resignation and the fact they should both have their salaries reduced so that there can be parity between genders in the BBC.

Also Ewan MacKenna saying that in a capitalist society sportswomen can't demand to be paid the same as men because male sports bring in more money and that's life.

I know we haven't many women on the board but just wanted to gauge opinion on it.

Personally I have no issue with women getting paid the same as men for the same position or more if they're performing better than their male counterparts. It's not quite as simple as that though unfortunately but would be interesting to hear an alternative view or even employers who have had to face the issue?

Perhaps you can wear a dress when you're posting to bring up the quota.

Was there no mention in this debate about pay for transgenders/intersex/pansexuals etc?? Theres bound to be some of them at the BBC. Lily savage and the like.
You liberal pc lads f**king love that stuff.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Rois

I had a reply typed til I saw the reply. I fear this has descended into mayhem sooner than you anticipated screenexile...

My firm publishes pay gap info - it performs well. The issue isn't the gap for us, more so female representation at more senior levels, which is pretty shocking but representative of the corporate world at present (though changing).

Syferus

Sports is a special case, given men have demonstrative physical advantages (in most sports, while in motorsport, horse racing, darts and snooker it's much more cloudy) and hence their versions of the same sports are more popular because of that, and plenty of other less simple factors too.

There's no reason in other professions where members of either gender do the exact same jobs should be paid less. I do feel the problem now focuses in a large part on career progression - i.e. in a lot of jobs a woman and a man do start off on the same salary, but the male is still at a significant advantage when it comes to reaching upper and executive level management in companies. The fact a woman has a high likelihood of being on maternity level for months at a time contribute to that, which is both an actual administrative issue and something that is sexist in nature. Few parts of this issue are clean cut.

Tenure is also an issue that isn't brought up enough - when people kicked up a fuss about Sharon Ní Bheoláin. earning significantly less than Bryan Dobson the fact he had been in his job far longer and hence had the opportunity to accrue or negotiate many more salary raises - also contributes to the difference. It's a bit like most social issues - if you're on one side or another you're not likely to be very willing to acknowledge mitigating factors and hence the debate devolves into childish name-calling.

Denn Forever

The gender gap in hollywood. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5260215/Mark-Wahlberg-paid-1-5M-Michelle-Williams-800.html

Mark Wahlberg 'refused to sign off on Christopher Plummer replacing Kevin Spacey in All the Money in the World until he was paid $1 million' for the reshoot. 

For tne actress it was.It is now being reported that Wahlberg was paid $1.5million for the 10-day shoot while Williams made just $80-a-day, according to Jessica Chastain
That would add up to $800 at the end of the 10-day shoot, which is 0.05 % the salary her co-star made for his work on the film

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5260215/Mark-Wahlberg-paid-1-5M-Michelle-Williams-800.html#ixzz545GnOV8F
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

You would be pissed off too.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 13, 2018, 04:50:28 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5260215/Mark-Wahlberg-paid-1-5M-Michelle-Williams-800.html

Mark Wahlberg 'refused to sign off on Christopher Plummer replacing Kevin Spacey in All the Money in the World until he was paid $1 million' for the reshoot. 

For tne actress it was.It is now being reported that Wahlberg was paid $1.5million for the 10-day shoot while Williams made just $80-a-day, according to Jessica Chastain
That would add up to $800 at the end of the 10-day shoot, which is 0.05 % the salary her co-star made for his work on the film

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5260215/Mark-Wahlberg-paid-1-5M-Michelle-Williams-800.html#ixzz545GnOV8F

Part of the problem is nobody knows who Michelle Williams is?

A list actor gets paid more than Z list actress shock horror.

nrico2006

Most people will go to watch a film because Wahlberg is in it. Unfortunately they wouldn't necessarily do the same for a Williams film. Plus, in this case her contract stipulated she had to do reshoots and his didnt. He fulfilled hos obligations and they wanted more; he duly asked to be paid and rightfully so.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

stew

Quote from: Rois on January 13, 2018, 04:45:22 PM
I had a reply typed til I saw the reply. I fear this has descended into mayhem sooner than you anticipated screenexile...

My firm publishes pay gap info - it performs well. The issue isn't the gap for us, more so female representation at more senior levels, which is pretty shocking but representative of the corporate world at present (though changing).

I hope the wemen that are at the top levels are queer, trans etc and not a one of them is a white privilege hetro! ::)

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

This thread is a prime example of one where moderation is needed for an adult conversation to take place.

foxcommander

Quote from: Syferus on January 13, 2018, 05:58:28 PM
This thread is a prime example of one where moderation is needed for an adult conversation to take place.

Maybe just don't post then?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

macdanger2

Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2018, 04:05:04 PM

Things like sport are a special case so I'll exclude those.

For ordinary jobs, pay should be equal for the same experience and level of ability, there's no reason not to pay equally. Enforcing / assessing it may be difficult however.

How to even out the gender gap at top levels is more difficult due to maternity leave and the reduced hours mothers in particular tend to put in after having children.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 13, 2018, 05:39:14 PM

Ironically enough Michelle Williams suffered from "PC quotas" at last year's oscars

Minder

I see he has donated the $1.5m to yet another hashtag campaign "Times up", whatever that is
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on January 13, 2018, 07:17:30 PM
I see he has donated the $1.5m to yet another hashtag campaign "Times up", whatever that is

..just a legal fund so blue collar female victims can afford to bring a case against their abusers if they so wish. Don't be so glib Minder.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 13, 2018, 05:39:14 PM

Plenty of people know who she is - just because you don't  ::) ::) ::)