Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Even shite comedies can have their moments. I thought the episode with the granda's new girlfriend was funny. Gave up on the show midway through season 2 though.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on May 19, 2022, 12:13:46 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 19, 2022, 07:54:38 AM
Thought the last 2 episodes this week were brilliant - Haven't enjoyed all of this season but the episode last night tapped into your emotion of what things were like and people
Don't want that anymore never mind when they voted for the GFA, but arseholes working to destabilise that agreement would anger you.. Loved Granda Joes speech about it being a ghost story you'll tell weans.

I'm fairly sure Erin is from Derry as well and has a Derry accent! The others are shite enough especially Clare's!
Surely that Michelle one is pure Derry hi!

nrico2006

Show had its moments, with the funniest really being the nun and the granda - the aunt became pretty funny too as the show progressed.

Your doll Clare was really annoying as was Erin.

How many of the main cast would actually have a Derry accent though in reality?  Two of the girls and Dennis?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 19, 2022, 12:47:30 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 19, 2022, 12:13:46 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 19, 2022, 07:54:38 AM
Thought the last 2 episodes this week were brilliant - Haven't enjoyed all of this season but the episode last night tapped into your emotion of what things were like and people
Don't want that anymore never mind when they voted for the GFA, but arseholes working to destabilise that agreement would anger you.. Loved Granda Joes speech about it being a ghost story you'll tell weans.

I'm fairly sure Erin is from Derry as well and has a Derry accent! The others are shite enough especially Clare's!
Surely that Michelle one is pure Derry hi!

She is

oakleaflad

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 19, 2022, 12:48:36 PM
Show had its moments, with the funniest really being the nun and the granda - the aunt became pretty funny too as the show progressed.

How many of the main cast would actually have a Derry accent though in reality?  Two of the girls and Dennis?
Not everyone in Derry sounds the same. Their accents were grand, even if one or two of the characters were a bit annoying at times.

Denn Forever

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 19, 2022, 01:33:36 PM

Not everyone in Derry sounds the same. Their accents were grand, even if one or two of the characters were a bit annoying at times.

Like life..
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 19, 2022, 01:33:36 PM

Lol. I know but every working class Derry person does. We have 2 accents in the city. Urban Derry accent(more close to Inishowen than County Derry) and the put on snobby mid atlantic accent. The accents were brutally off bar Michelle and few others, no big deal.

screenexile

Watched the first half hour of the last episode at lunch there and it seems better than the series that's gone before looking forward to finishing it tonight!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on May 19, 2022, 03:18:16 PM
Watched the first half hour of the last episode at lunch there and it seems better than the series that's gone before looking forward to finishing it tonight!
Some boys here in the public sector could have watched the series on their lunch break.  ;)

Norf Tyrone

Dennis is a Strabane man.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

In hiding

Really enjoyed all 3 series.
Some slow bits obviously but one of the few series in recent years which i made a point of watching.
Beauty is in the eye and all that

Loughshore2022

A nonsense show that only got famous because it is set in the 90's, the writer knew this would work. The young hipster youth love the 90s, they have a romanticised view of it. That is why the show FRIENDS is so big now, because of 90s nostalgia, it is probably bigger now that when it actually aired.
I also notice how the whole of county Derry are buying into the whole 'Derry Girl' thing, for example you would see the Derry ladies teams refer to themselves as Derry Girls on social media. The Eurovision girl from Bellaghy was also called a Derry girl. I don't know about anyone else but as a South Derry native I have little contact with any goings on in Derry City, I haven't even been there in 8 years. The only connection to Derry I have is that the county was named after the town. I am sure people in North Cork for example can relate to this agenda.

quit yo jibbajabba

Jesus. Tough audience.
So, writer writes about something as she knows it will be popular?! Thats one clever lady

nrico2006

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 19, 2022, 03:51:12 PM

Dennis is a Strabane man.

Aye, ran about with him in school.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Enjoyed that finale helps you remember the last 20 years haven't been as bad as everyone is making out at the minute.

Very enjoyable and although of course there have been weak moments the show is a hit and has a bit of a cult following and is putting Derry in the map so I'm all for it. Fair play to Lisa McGee and all involved!!