Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 09, 2018, 09:04:44 PM
It's based on Thornhill Convent of Mercy. Their student booklet was even called the habit
Yes it was and the writer went through school at the same time as me, we have mutual friends, so it's no wonder some of the stuff is so familiar. Hope they do a Colaiste Samhraidh version.

BennyCake

A bittersweet ending too hearing Dreams with Dolores' great voice.

mrdeeds

Talk of a Derry Girls Young Offenders crossover. But they are set in different times so hard to see how possible.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: The Gs Man on February 09, 2018, 08:50:03 AM
Quote from: on the sideline on February 08, 2018, 10:36:31 PM
What was the newsflash of at the end of tonight's episode? Thought it a poignant enough ending to show what life here was like back then.

Thought it was the Shankill bombing myself.  1993.  10 died (including the bomber), but the TV show referred to 12, so obviously just artistic licence.

Thought it was a great episode and look forward to a new series.

Finally got around to watching this. Watched all 6 episodes over two nights. Found it very enjoyable. I presumed the report at the end was about Enniskillen.

/Jim

mrdeeds

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 06, 2018, 07:54:02 PM
What was the newsflash of at the end of tonight's episode? Thought it a poignant enough ending to show what life here was like back then.

Thought it was the Shankill bombing myself.  1993.  10 died (including the bomber), but the TV show referred to 12, so obviously just artistic licence.

Finally got around to watching this. Watched all 6 episodes over two nights. Found it very enjoyable. I presumed the report at the end was about Enniskillen.

/Jim

The creator said it had Omagh in mind but was just a demonstration of what happened and not one specifically. Omagh was a Saturday and in the show it's a school day.

Don Johnson

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 14, 2018, 12:55:49 PM
Talk of a Derry Girls Young Offenders crossover. But they are set in different times so hard to see how possible.

Hopefully not. Young Offenders is so much better it would be a shame to tarnish it.

AQMP

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 06, 2018, 09:22:46 PM

/Jim

The creator said it had Omagh in mind but was just a demonstration of what happened and not one specifically. Omagh was a Saturday and in the show it's a school day.

Enniskillen was a Sunday, Shankill Bomb was a Saturday too.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Don Johnson on March 07, 2018, 11:53:27 AM

Hopefully not. Young Offenders is so much better it would be a shame to tarnish it.
Late to the party but watched a few episodes of the young offenders last night, really  enjoyed them

Don Johnson

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on March 07, 2018, 01:55:10 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on March 07, 2018, 11:53:27 AM

Late to the party but watched a few episodes of the young offenders last night, really  enjoyed them

It's class. There is a film on Netflix too.

gallsman

Quote from: AQMP on March 07, 2018, 12:26:26 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 06, 2018, 09:22:46 PM

/Jim

Enniskillen was a Sunday, Shankill Bomb was a Saturday too.

Enniskillen was also 1987 and the show is set in the mid 90s.

oakleaflad

Second season finished up last night. Thought the episodes were mostly stronger than the first season. First episode away on the trip with the Protestant boys, the da seeing them on TV away at the Take that concert (smiling and saying nothing), James showing up to take Erin to the formal and last nights episode were highlights from memory.

The music is great. Enjoy the granda and the aunt (very Derry). Clare annoys me a we bit - everything just a bit too over the top.

A third season is in the works.

clarshack

Enjoyed the second season as well. Don't understand all the begrudgery i've seen on social media.
Only thing I would have issue with the show is that there can be timeline errors. The IRA ceasefire (August 1994) seemed to be in between The Usual Suspects (August 1995) and Bill Clinton coming here (November 1995).

BennyCake

Some good bits, but some things a bit drab. Aunt Mary and the nun have some cracking lines. Thought series one was better though.

screenexile

Quote from: BennyCake on April 10, 2019, 01:09:12 PM
Some good bits, but some things a bit drab. Aunt Mary and the nun have some cracking lines. Thought series one was better though.

It's still good there's plenty of classic comedies have shite bits in them.

Was particularly disappointed with last night's episode the lads heading to Burt to find Clinton was very weak!!