Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: The Gs Man on February 09, 2018, 08:50:03 AM
Quote from: on the sideline on February 08, 2018, 10:36:31 PM
What was the newsflash of at the end of tonight's episode? Thought it a poignant enough ending to show what life here was like back then.

Thought it was the Shankill bombing myself.  1993.  10 died (including the bomber), but the TV show referred to 12, so obviously just artistic licence.

Thought it was a great episode and look forward to a new series.

I suppose they wanted to make it a 'generic' incident (for want of a better word) rather than a real historic event.
The sad thing is, it could have been any of a number of days in the 80s/90s
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

In hiding

I will miss it. Really enjoyable 6 episodes for me. The final episode was superb

oakleaflad

Enjoyed the series and thought the ending was really well done

lenny

Quote from: In hiding on February 09, 2018, 09:51:24 AM
I will miss it. Really enjoyable 6 episodes for me. The final episode was superb

Really enjoyed it also but thought the last episode was definitely the weakest in the series.

Dire Ear

Quote from: lenny on February 09, 2018, 10:51:12 AM
Quote from: In hiding on February 09, 2018, 09:51:24 AM

Really enjoyed it also but thought the last episode was definitely the weakest in the series.
Agreed

David McKeown

Yeah I thought the last two episodes weren't quite as good as the others although I thought the ending was excellent. Our ones reckoned the footage may have been La Mon. No idea if that's right
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

paddyjohn

The end of that show really struck a chord with me, I mind sitting on a bus on the way to a game in Belfast when word of the Omagh bombing came through, we were full of the joys of spring meanwhile 50/60miles down the road one of the worst bombings in my lifetime had just happened.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 09, 2018, 01:45:11 PM
The end of that show really struck a chord with me, I mind sitting on a bus on the way to a game in Belfast when word of the Omagh bombing came through, we were full of the joys of spring meanwhile 50/60miles down the road one of the worst bombings in my lifetime had just happened.

Yeah me too, the wife and I both recalled the very moment it happened! clear as day, I'd my son in the park, he was about 4 and there was some choppers heading out from the Royal direction, army ones, left, got to the house and it was on the news! another rotten day in Northern Ireland
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 09, 2018, 01:50:07 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on February 09, 2018, 01:45:11 PM

Yeah me too, the wife and I both recalled the very moment it happened! clear as day, I'd my son in the park, he was about 4 and there was some choppers heading out from the Royal direction, army ones, left, got to the house and it was on the news! another rotten day in Northern Ireland

I remember such a eerie feeling in Casement that evening, I can't remember such a somber crowd at any game.

BennyCake

"I don't really believe in lesbians". Great line  ;D

To be fair, the storylines have been ok, but some of the one liners have been top notch.

lenny

Quote from: BennyCake on February 09, 2018, 03:45:19 PM
"I don't really believe in lesbians". Great line  ;D

To be fair, the storylines have been ok, but some of the one liners have been top notch.

Well summed up. So so storylines but plenty of brilliant lines and laughs. I will look forward to the new series.

Rois

"You're a walkin' cack attack" and "Caioimhe reeks of piss" and the random all-girl talent show - echoes of Convent Grammar Strabane 1991-1998. We even had one male in the school too.
I think the writer was at Thornhill the same time I was at its equivalent in Strabane. 

Loved it.

David McKeown

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2018, 04:23:04 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 09, 2018, 01:34:31 PM
Yeah I thought the last two episodes weren't quite as good as the others although I thought the ending was excellent. Our ones reckoned the footage may have been La Mon. No idea if that's right
I don't think it was any specific incident at all. Just one they made up to show the contrast of crazy shit happening daily but fairly normal teenage life continuing alongside it.

Yeah I don't think it was supposed to be a specific incident, but the archive footage played on the screen is what I'm referring too.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ONeill

I can't make a call on it atall. Liked bits. Others not so good. But still tuned in. Couldn't care if there was another series. But would watch again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

It's based on Thornhill Convent of Mercy. Their student booklet was even called the habit