Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

I agree 100% with that Tony. Lets see how pathetic we can make ourselves look so that the Brits can have a good laugh and think we are a bunch of halfwits. A total embarrassment from start to finish, that's all that load of tripe is.

I'd bet the Derry European city of culture committee are delighted!

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2018, 11:08:00 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 18, 2018, 10:55:10 PM
This is the latest in the long line of pish (Father Ted,Mrs Brown's Boys etc) considered funny across the water,not for any genuine comic content,but simply because it depicts the Oirish as fecking mad eejits.This in turn seems to engender some native pride at home and misplaced notion that this has to be comic genius as it makes the Brits laugh.

Did you ever watch, Boys from the blackstuff and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, the Liver birds and other regional shows? The above shows you have mention are just that, local shows that other parts of the country and within that regional area like... to me you are they type thats embarrassed about being where you are from, a snob would define you..
Bread and RAB C Nesbitt could be added to the list above

GJL

It's getting worse as it goes on. Poor show.

ashman

Quote from: GJL on January 18, 2018, 11:53:27 PM

Less funny  than Mrs Brown . 

lenny

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on January 18, 2018, 11:11:34 PM
Enjoyed it again this week , but then a comedy that  offends Tony was always going to make me chuckle .

Totally agree. Not perfect but some very funny lines and moments.

longballin

Quote from: ashman on January 19, 2018, 01:43:05 AM
Quote from: GJL on January 18, 2018, 11:53:27 PM

Less funny  than Mrs Brown .

Nothing is less funny than Mrs Brown.

The Gs Man

It's marmite lads. 

But with the majority of the people on the thread enjoying it, it wouldn't take a genius to work out that our Tony would have an opposing view.  The wee skitter.

Personally I like it.  But if I didn't, I'd probably read a book or watch something else or go to sleep instead.
Keep 'er lit

square_ball

Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2018, 07:58:09 AM
Slow enough start but thought the second half had a few laughs.

Insert obligatory quote from show and laughing emoji.

Twitter is exactly this!

It's watchable but think it's more a mrs brown boys than a fr ted in my opinion.

AQMP

The missus and daughter watch this.  So I watched it again last night.  Still shite.  More of the only decent actor in the piece, Ian McElhinney, might help.  A reviewer in The Guardian has called this the funniest thing on TV.  I kid you not.  The Brits think it's hilarious.  This is what it comes to near the end of the world...Kevin McAleer re-hashes an old routine from 25 years ago, and people find it funny again. Nostradamus said this would happen...while he was spinning a few one liners that Derry Girls is reviving.

seafoid

Quote from: AQMP on January 19, 2018, 09:40:11 AM
The missus and daughter watch this.  So I watched it again last night.  Still shite.  More of the only decent actor in the piece, Ian McElhinney, might help.  A reviewer in The Guardian has called this the funniest thing on TV.  I kid you not.  The Brits think it's hilarious.  This is what is comes to near the end of the world...Kevin McAleer re-hashes an old routine from 25 years ago, and people find it funny again. Nostradamus said this would happen...while he was spinning a few one liners that Derry Girls is reviving.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/19/derry-girls-channel-4-the-funniest-thing-on-tv-lisa-mcgee
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ned

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 19, 2018, 08:25:14 AM
It's marmite lads. 

But with the majority of the people on the thread enjoying it, it wouldn't take a genius to work out that our Tony would have an opposing view.  The wee skitter.

Personally I like it.  But if I didn't, I'd probably read a book or watch something else or go to sleep instead.

And probably not feel the need to continually post that you don't like it.

Keyser soze

Anyone that thinks this is funny must have something wrong with them. Excruciating to watch, the peurile humour, plot and acting skills were embarassing, a very poor children's TV programme with lots of swearing.

longballin

I must have something wrong with me, I find some of it funny. Thought McAleer was brilliant... he's timeless. Also the carry-on with the dog and the tears on the statue had me laughing... maybe I need help!   ???

gallsman

Thought it was ok and would give it a go to start with but think each episode so far has been poorer then the previous one. Last night's one however want just poor, it wasn't even original. Piss in the church straight from Peep Show, crying Virgin Mary from Only Fools, your one on the energy drinks for an exam from the Inbetweeners etc

The Gs Man

Quote from: longballin on January 19, 2018, 10:08:40 AM
I must have something wrong with me, I find some of it funny. Thought McAleer was brilliant... he's timeless. Also the carry-on with the dog and the tears on the statue had me laughing... maybe I need help!   ???

Yeah, brought me back to being 14 or 15 and walking round graveyards looking at statues to see if their eyes moved.
Keep 'er lit