Sanchez Quits

Started by Kerry Mike, May 11, 2007, 02:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 11, 2007, 03:14:42 PM
Sammy seeing as you poo pooed me a few weeks back when I said this would happen I accept your apology, thank you very much :D

It is bad form in fairness and shows how mercenary the professional game is.  Honour, whatever vestige was left, has truly been usurped by the pound and it is a very sad reflection on how the game has changed, and not for the better.

I apologise unreservedly. I honestly thought he'd stay until November (at least part-time) and then move on. I didn't expect him to just jump ship.  :(

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on May 11, 2007, 03:22:50 PM
What is it they say about rats and a sinking ship?

I think this is the first case of a rat refloating a sinking ship and then leaving.

slievegullion

I hear that young fella Staunton is a good bet, why don't yous' hire him?

nifan

Thought he would stay to the end of the campaign and be on his way.

I think the IFA got lucky with Sanchez and I hope they can get lucky again with his successors.

Hardy

I think you lads are limiting your options by hiring the first fella called Lawrie that shows up every time.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 11, 2007, 02:15:06 PM
If he had stayed on and gotten results against Spain and Sweden away, he may have even qualified for Euro 2008. That would have been some achievement from where he started.

Quite possibly he knew that wasnt going to happen making this a good time to escape to a high profile club job. Bit like Walter Smith after leading Scotland to the top of the group and beating France then jumping ship when he knew it probably couldnt be sustained.
Shame for both parties though,  I have a suspicion that Norn Iron and Sanchez were made for each other....not sure he will do as well anywhere else and unlikely they will get anybody else who can get so much out of a pretty limited set of players.

magickingdom

there must be more to this story as surely he could have stayed on til november if he felt like it...

SammyG

Quote from: magickingdom on May 11, 2007, 04:00:50 PM
there must be more to this story as surely he could have stayed on til november if he felt like it...

Apparently Al-Fayed wouldn't let him, the offer was full-time or not at all but we'll probably never know the full story.

Donagh

Doesn't exactly bode well for the future at his new club i.e. from the sounds of this we know who the real boss is at Fulham and it ain't the Ecuadorian.

ExiledGael

My God if I had the chance to beat the crap out of one person in the entire world I'm dead certain it would be thet p***k Steven Beacom from the Belfast Telegraph, did anyone see the creepy little fcuker on the ITV news.
What a dickhead

deiseach

Quote from: SammyG on May 11, 2007, 02:12:14 PM
Having said that you can't really blame him, how many of us would turn down a 4 or 500% pay rise?

I'd be leery about a job which offered me an "indefinite, rolling contract". In other words, "we can sack you whenever we like and not give you a washer in compensation".

ziggysego

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 11, 2007, 07:46:08 PM
My God if I had the chance to beat the crap out of one person in the entire world I'm dead certain it would be thet p***k Steven Beacom from the Belfast Telegraph, did anyone see the creepy little fcuker on the ITV news.
What a dickhead

Seem him on UTV chatting to Logie. Creepy looking fella, thought he was going to cream himself with the cream. I'm guessing he doesn't like Sanchez then.

As for Sanchez quitting, well can't say I'm surprised. Once he said he was moving to Fulham as care-taker manager, the writing was on the wall. Didn't believe for one minute when he said that he would see out his existing contract with Northern Ireland. Disappointed that he didn't and I'm sure that some of the fans aren't either.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

As mentioned, it's hard to argue with a zillion% salary increase and EPL management. I thought he had a bizzare reaction after the victory against Spain, missing out on the pleasure of rubbing it in with 40 grit. I guess that most NI fans were hoping against hope after that.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Gotta say I'm no fan of the wee six, but my heart goes out to you guys, Sanchez dirty joe'd youse badly - there's no call for dishonesty!

Wesaysanchez (if it's really you) welcome back - you illiterate bast*rd you!  ;)
Tbc....

Redgreenery

This is a huge blow for NI, he's done some good things for them!! Hope they can get a good enough successor, but not too good!!! ;)