Buying a new vehicle

Started by Orior, January 04, 2017, 11:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: clonian on May 10, 2023, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 10, 2023, 09:18:20 AM
I've electric, love it. The big initial concern is the range, but having had it for over a year now inclined to think thats somewhat of a red herring. As Seafoid says, charging is done at home; the public network is generally for getting you home, if you look at it that way then 15 min on public charger is often enough when required. Obv won't suit some people; most of my driving is within 20 miles of home tbf, but there are regular enough longer trips and also have had it in Kerry for a week.
Did you get the proper charger at home or just the 3 pin plug?

Extension lead out the window will do the trick.  ;D

I'm looking at a Kia all electric one, the Niro, but not sure I want to buy it outright... A three year deal and then hand it back is something I'd normally not entertain, but with the battery car I'm in two minds.

GJL

Anyone who has spare cash should go out now and buy a high performance petrol car and put it away in the back of the garage. It will be a great investment.

trailer

The only one I would consider getting is the Audi E-Tron as it looks decent. The rest of them are wild looking. You'd want to drive around in disguise in case someone saw you.

When the public see them for the gimmick they are, the 5% of the population who drive them will start to desert. There is the dirty mining process involved in the manufacturing of the batteries and the fact we still burn coal and oil to generate the electricity to charge the things. 

haranguerer

I've electric, love it. The big initial concern is the range, but having had it for over a year now inclined to think thats somewhat of a red herring. As Seafoid says, charging is done at home; the public network is generally for getting you home, if you look at it that way then 15 min on public charger is often enough when required. Obv won't suit some people; most of my driving is within 20 miles of home tbf, but there are regular enough longer trips and also have had it in Kerry for a week.

Proper charger,  would say that's a must. The 3 pin did rightly for the week in Kerry though

I'm leasing johnnycool - I think it makes sense even if not most financially efficient; the tech is changing rapidly so risky to rely on good second hand value imo

clonian

Quote from: johnnycool on May 10, 2023, 10:12:40 AM

Extension lead out the window will do the trick.  ;D

I'm looking at a Kia all electric one, the Niro, but not sure I want to buy it outright... A three year deal and then hand it back is something I'd normally not entertain, but with the battery car I'm in two minds.

I went with the lease - first time I've done it. I looked at the Niro but went with the Volvo XC40. The Audi Q4 was nearly an option but the new model came in and pushed it out of my price range.

GJL

Quote from: trailer on May 10, 2023, 10:24:26 AM
The only one I would consider getting is the Audi E-Tron as it looks decent. The rest of them are wild looking. You'd want to drive around in disguise in case someone saw you.

When the public see them for the gimmick they are, the 5% of the population who drive them will start to desert. There is the dirty mining process involved in the manufacturing of the batteries and the fact we still burn coal and oil to generate the electricity to charge the things.

https://youtu.be/Krs1oiydrbI

armaghniac

Quote from: trailer on May 10, 2023, 10:24:26 AM

Only about half of electricity comes from coal and oil and this proportion is diminishing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

clonian

Quote from: haranguerer on May 10, 2023, 10:44:39 AM

Proper charger,  would say that's a must. The 3 pin did rightly for the week in Kerry though

I'm leasing johnnycool - I think it makes sense even if not most financially efficient; the tech is changing rapidly so risky to rely on good second hand value imo

I've got a few months to sort out a charger, 6 month waiting list, so I'll get some prices. The 3 pin charger is handy to have if you're stuck though.