Sporting or Showbiz Legends....

Started by 5 Sams, October 14, 2016, 08:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

..who also just happen to be real nice people.

I follow Paul McGrath on Twitter and some of the comments he gets from people who have met him would do your heart good....universally recognised as a pure legend and gentleman. A man who has a severe addiction problem and battles it daily but who goes out of his way to be decent to his fans and people in general. The man is one in a million.

Anyone else??
The Aristocrat Years

Boycey

Myself and a mate were heading to get a bus back to airport from Old Trafford from a night game in the late 90's when we spotted the bold Paul stepping down the far side of the street. We shouted at him and instead of giving us a wave and hurrying on he actually crossed the road to come towards us and engaged us in conversation about the match for 10/15 mins, giving us honest opinion rather than pundit bullshit... we actually had to make our excuses eventually and leave as we were running late for our bus! Lovely man.

seafoid

Dermot Earley

Cruyff looks across the old Olympic arena in Amsterdam and, with a familiar shrug, he says, finally: "It's like everything in football – and life. You need to look, you need to think, you need to move, you need to find space, you need to help others. It's very simple in the end."

Guardiola seems to be fairly decent as well
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Have met Brendan O'Connor a few times recently and he is a gentleman. I know plenty of people don't like him for whatever reason but he was very friendly anytime I met him.

Kevin Kilbane also is a gentleman. Met him at a function a few months back.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

5 Sams

From personal experience I met Séamus Moynihan in Bawn's in Dingle one night. Total hero of mine...plucked up the courage to go over and have a chat with him. Half an hour later he was dragging me along on the piss with him and his mates...loved the crack...talking football..down to earth genuine bloke.
The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

Around 20 years ago, I met Zoe Ball at a BBC event in Birmingham. She asked if I wanted her autograph. Unfortunately I had nothing for her to sign and apologised. Around an hour later, she tracked me down inside the NEC Arena. She had got me an autograph book and went round all the celebrities from the mid-90s who were at it and got them to sign it with personal messages for me. I was really impressed by how nice she was.

That been said, my Mum threw it out a short time after, nothing know what it was when she got fed up with how messy my bedroom was. I was a tad grumpy after that. Still, a lovely gesture by Zoe. :)
Testing Accessibility

quit yo jibbajabba

Jeebus wait till Fearon sees this thread

T Fearon

Rick Wakeman
Mick Taylor
Bill Wyman
Pat Jennings
All of the remaining Lisbon Lions
George Best
Jurgen Klinsmann
Ronny Deila
Arlene Foster
Scott Brown
Georgios Samaras.
Jack Charlton.
Des Cahill
Mary Kennedy
Joe Elliott (Deff Leppard)
Snowy White
Alvin Lee

Met Dalglish twice,difficult personality but am in awe of him all the same.

Once had the misfortune to share a bar table with Dara O'Briain.A complete p***k.

5 Sams

Quote from: T Fearon on October 14, 2016, 10:54:45 PM
Rick Wakeman
Mick Taylor
Bill Wyman
Pat Jennings
George Best
Jurgen Klinsmann
Ronny Deila
Arlene Foster
Scott Brown
Georgios Samaras.
Jack Charlton.
Des Cahill
Mary Kennedy
Snowy White
Alvin Lee

Once had the misfortune to share a bar table with Dara O'Briain.A complete p***k.

Im sure there was a few pricks in among that list...apart from the one that met them all.
The Aristocrat Years

T Fearon

quit yo jibbajabba

Rick Wakeman
Mick Taylor
Bill Wyman
Pat Jennings
George Best
Jurgen Klinsmann
Ronny Deila
Arlene Foster
Scott Brown
Georgios Samaras.
Jack Charlton.
Des Cahill
Mary Kennedy
Snowy White
Alvin Lee

Jarlath be pissed with you now chap

ziggysego

Rick Wakeman
Mick Taylor
Bill Wyman
Pat Jennings
George Best
Jurgen Klinsmann
Ronny Deila
Arlene Foster
Scott Brown
Georgios Samaras.
Jack Charlton.
Des Cahill
Mary Kennedy
Snowy White
Alvin Lee

This thread isn't to list everyone famous you met, just who you thought were legend.

As for Dara O'Briain. I had a few drinks with him in Omagh back in 2003. Found him to be a courteous and genuine man. Had a good wee yarn with him about comedy, RTE and Father Ted.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

I listed the sporting and show business legends I have met who I deemed to be courteous and decent.Thats all.

seafoid

A bit local.

PJ Molloy.
Padraic Joyce

I haven't met them but the ould lad raves about Shefflin and Michael Duignan. 

Very old school and dead for years but Tull Dunne who won Sam in 1938 and managed the 3 in a row team had the uaisleacht.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Glaring Omissions from my original list

Danny Mc Grain (the most humble and courteous of them all)
Neil Lennon
Alan Thompson
John Hartson.

I have met countless GAA legends from practically every county too numerous to list,all of whom,without exception,were courteous.