Saint Theresa of Calcutta

Started by T Fearon, September 04, 2016, 08:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Well deserved honour for this truly iconic figure who led a saintly life,and an example to all of us.I only learned recently that she studied to become a nun in Dublin and established a house near the peace line and lived there in Belfast for a couple of years in the early 1970s.

My only regret is that I am not in Rome for the ceremony today (and I commend RTE for its live coverage) though I will be in Rome in the latter part of this week.

seafoid

Not another hotel misbooking I hope
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

CD

While she deservedly won the NPP for her work for the poorest of the poor in Kolkata, the notion of Sainthood based on approved 'miracles' is ridiculous. Being made a 'saint' on the basis of her undoubtedly great work (despite antiquated and unhelpful views about divorce, abortion and contraception) is fine by me, but surely the church needs to let go of the whole miracle thing. I mean, come on!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Rossfan

Surprised the Pope didn't postpone the ceremony till Tony got there!? :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

quit yo jibbajabba

Him and Jarlath couldve headed over together

T Fearon

Referring to the canonisation as a "black magic ceremony" and the Saint as a "medieval creature of darkness" says it all about this ego driven ("I sorted it all out in the last 25 years") envious ungrateful cretin😡

bennydorano

I can remember some of the Polemicists being less than impressed with her. Hitchens,  Pilger or Chomsky.

Edit, Hitchens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The+Missionary+Position%3A_Mother_Teresa_in_Theory_and_Practice?wprov=sfla1

T Fearon

Nigel White

I think the fact you started this thread as another means of winding people up in order to fuel your ego driven mentality speaks volumes about the pathetic hypocrite you are. You'd start a post about your late mother if you thought it would provoke a reaction.  I feel sorry for you in many respects

The Subbie

J70

If the church wants to elevate someone based on a life's work, great (I'm not judging THAT), but the Monica Besra "cure" on which this canonization is based is just ludicrous.

I can see why the Catholic Church are so keen, but when the f**k are people going to grow up?

But then I suppose anti-intellectualism, a lack of critical thinking and poor knowledge of science, statistics and logic is the order of day amongst many and getting worse in the era of Fox News and the internet.

T Fearon

I think while she made mistakes in her life,as everyone does,her lifelong commitment to the poorest of the poor is worthy of her canonisation.

God14

Quote from: T Fearon on September 04, 2016, 03:16:59 PM
I think while she made mistakes in her life,as everyone does,her lifelong commitment to the poorest of the poor is worthy of her canonisation.

Hahaha what a whitewash!

seafoid

Will she do anything about climate change or is sainthood more like a frequent flyers club.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU