Gambling in the GAA - the ethical aspect

Started by Lone Shark, May 29, 2016, 03:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: LooseCannon on January 20, 2018, 01:47:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 20, 2018, 01:06:36 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on January 20, 2018, 12:55:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 20, 2018, 12:19:25 PM
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/director-of-business-says-theft-of-more-than-60k-by-former-galway-hurling-star-a-huge-betrayal-36508986.html

There's a number of basic inaccuracies in the article.
He's a current panellist.
He's from Mullagh not Loughrea.
It is still shocking though.

I'm not suggesting that it's not shocking. But, for a national newspaper, you'd think they'd have the basic details right. It's not like they're a tabloid.
It's the Irish Indo. They have sacked loads of journalists in recent years. They are probably missing a few sub editors. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 20, 2018, 08:11:38 AM
If you're a county player or have played county football or hurling you can pretty much get away with anything.

McCarron
Alan Smith
Davy Glennon
Darren Gleeson
Mark Hehir

If it was an ordinary Joe Soap, he'd have been locked up. What is interesting there is that it's pretty much confirmed Hehir only got the job because he was a GAA footballer and we have people arguing that these lads aren't being looked after well enough!
Disgraceful post.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 20, 2018, 02:00:17 PM
Disgraceful post.

I know it was a higher amount stolen but the Post office manager who Paddy Power got their teeth into was jailed for 4 years with the final 1 suspended. GAA players in general can get away with things they shouldn't which is wrong.
Bookmakers should also be held to account more when dealing with customers who suffer extreme losses, how I don't know.

Il Bomber Destro

If you're a county player or have played county football or hurling you can pretty much get away with anything.

McCarron
Alan Smith
Davy Glennon
Darren Gleeson
Mark Hehir

If it was an ordinary Joe Soap, he'd have been locked up. What is interesting there is that it's pretty much confirmed Hehir only got the job because he was a GAA footballer and we have people arguing that these lads aren't being looked after well enough!
Disgraceful post.

Commenting that intercounty players get off on crimes that generally result in jail terms for the average Joe is disgraceful?

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 20, 2018, 02:40:41 PM

McCarron
Alan Smith
Davy Glennon
Darren Gleeson
Mark Hehir

Disgraceful post.

Commenting that intercounty players get off on crimes that generally result in jail terms for the average Joe is disgraceful?

The only bad thing that can be said about the great Dermot Earley is that his character reference for Spike Nolan helped keep him out of prison for money laundering.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspended-sentence-for-footballer-who-laundered-proceeds-of-armed-robbery-26028784.html

OgraAnDun

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/director-of-business-says-theft-of-more-than-60k-by-former-galway-hurling-star-a-huge-betrayal-36508986.html

I'm not suggesting that it's not shocking. But, for a national newspaper, you'd think they'd have the basic details right. It's not like they're a tabloid.

;D

Syferus

Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 20, 2018, 04:02:39 PM

;D

Whole hell of a lot better than the red tops.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2018, 04:22:13 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 20, 2018, 04:02:39 PM

;D

Whole hell of a lot better than the red tops.

That's a short enough stick to measure them by. The indo is nothing but a rag

mouview

I'm not suggesting that it's not shocking. But, for a national newspaper, you’d think they'd have the basic details right. It's not like they're a tabloid.

It was reported on GBFM yesterday that he was from Loughrea also. Probably read out officially in court that he was from that region rather than specifically mentioning the parish/townland whatever. A trivial point. Seems to get more exposure than Hehir, whose indiscretions were probably more serious.

LooseCannon

Quote from: mouview on January 20, 2018, 11:22:20 PM

It was reported on GBFM yesterday that he was from Loughrea also. Probably read out officially in court that he was from that region rather than specifically mentioning the parish/townland whatever. A trivial point. Seems to get more exposure than Hehir, whose indiscretions were probably more serious.

Loughrea would be his local district court.
The fact that Glennon is known on a national scale doesn't help. I'm a keen follower of both codes, and I've never heard of Hehir.

shark

Quote from: LooseCannon on January 21, 2018, 12:36:18 AM

The fact that Glennon is known on a national scale doesn't help. I'm a keen follower of both codes, and I've never heard of Hehir.

He was man of the the match in an All Ireland u21 final. Scored 7/8 points.  Was a serious player.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: shark on January 21, 2018, 02:28:45 AM

He was man of the the match in an All Ireland u21 final. Scored 7/8 points.  Was a serious player.

Looked a great prospect when Galway won an U-21 All-Ireland with him one of the main men in the team. Was probably elevated to senior a bit too soon afterwards as I remember him playing against Mayo the following year at senior and looking a bit lost. In a poor Galway side to be fair to him which didn't help. He kinda disappeared after that. At least as far as intercounty goes.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on January 21, 2018, 02:28:45 AM

He's a pretty well known footballer. He scored a goal in the Hyde the year Des Newton managed us and made Galway look like AI contenders. They proceeded to lose to Sligo and Antrim immediately afterwards.

stephenite

McCarron
Alan Smith
Davy Glennon
Darren Gleeson
Mark Hehir

Disgraceful post.

There have been a few disgraceful posts from this lad, but this is not one of them. Perfectly accurate and appropriate