The Official Euro 2016 Thread

Started by laoislad, May 22, 2016, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on May 22, 2016, 01:50:51 PM
In Kane, Sturridge, Vardy and Rooney, England might just have the best forward line at the tournament. But it's difficult to see them winning tight games if relying on Smalling and Cahill at the back.

Anyway 40/1 England and Kane is worth a couple of quid.

1. Best forward line at the tournament? Don't mistake hype for substance.
2. How could any self respecting Irishman back England to win the championship.

beer baron

Quote from: AQMP on May 23, 2016, 05:08:27 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 22, 2016, 01:23:08 PM
Belgium, me hole.

They're totally over rated. They'll be nowhere near winning it. There's only 2 contenders for me: Germany and Spain. I think Germany will win it though

Spain's preliminary 25 man squad has named forwards Pedro (Chelsea) Morata (Juventus), Nolito, a 29 year old who plays for Celta Vigo and 35 year old Aduriz of Bilbao.  Pedro isn't an out and out goalscorer, OK, Morata is a prospect but the other two aren't exactly household names.  I'd worry about where the goals might come from.

I'd be thinking similar, i actually expected Torres to get into the squad as he's back among the goals and has done it on the international stage before. They still have a serious outfit, the defence and midfield very impressive but getting goals could well be a big issue.

beer baron

Quote from: yellowcard on May 23, 2016, 06:50:03 PM
In Kane, Sturridge, Vardy and Rooney, England might just have the best forward line at the tournament. But it's difficult to see them winning tight games if relying on Smalling and Cahill at the back.

Got it in 1. These boys will do little or nothing the same as all the other superstars they had.

thewobbler

I'm genuinely not saying they'll win it, but England's historical underperformance shouldn't sway thinking on this year's team.

Roll back to 1997 and France were the serial underachievers of world football. Just a decade ago that mantle belonged to Spain. If you think that the press in either of those countries was any less enthusiastic pre-tournament or any less ruthless post-tournament than England's tabloids have been, then you are mistaken.

Whether we like it or not, the law of averages says a footballing population the size of England will eventually head the table for a few years. I'm not saying it'll be this year. But it will happen soon.

beer baron

Quote from: thewobbler on May 23, 2016, 08:43:37 PM
I'm genuinely not saying they'll win it, but England's historical underperformance shouldn't sway thinking on this year's team.

Roll back to 1997 and France were the serial underachievers of world football. Just a decade ago that mantle belonged to Spain. If you think that the press in either of those countries was any less enthusiastic pre-tournament or any less ruthless post-tournament than England's tabloids have been, then you are mistaken.

Whether we like it or not, the law of averages says a footballing population the size of England will eventually head the table for a few years. I'm not saying it'll be this year. But it will happen soon.

Until they create a top drawer midfielder they'll be winning nothing. The midfield they're likely to play in this tournament is probably not going to be in the top half dozen midfields in the tournament,until they sort that they'll do nothing.

SHEEDY

Quote from: beer baron on May 23, 2016, 08:58:06 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 23, 2016, 08:43:37 PM

Until they create a top drawer midfielder they'll be winning nothing. The midfield they're likely to play in this tournament is probably not going to be in the top half dozen midfields in the tournament,until they sort that they'll do nothing.
dont think england will be near winning the tournament. as well as being short of a top class midfielder or two they are also short on world class defenders, clyne, stones, smalling, rose, walker or cahill wouldnt fill you with much confidence.
nil satis nisi optimum

ashman

[/quote

If I am backing England to win it will be because I think they will win it and can make money . My nationality has nothing to do with it . 

seafoid

God love them
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Capt Pat

England could well win this tournament. Greece, Denmark and Czechoslovakia have all won it in the past. So a team like England could do it. It will probably be the Germans though.

An Watcher

I always laugh at the hype around England building.
The last tournament in Brazil was a case in point.
5/1 to not get out of a group containing Costa Rica, Uruguay and Italy.
They have the worst defence an England team has ever had going into a major tournament
Their forwards are young and have potential on the International stage but that's it
I'll enjoy watching them crash and burn as always.

Personally I'm looking tickets for the Belgium game but they are like gold dust at the moment

Canalman

Quote from: An Watcher on May 24, 2016, 07:29:37 AM
I always laugh at the hype around England building.
The last tournament in Brazil was a case in point.
5/1 to not get out of a group containing Costa Rica, Uruguay and Italy.
They have the worst defence an England team has ever had going into a major tournament
Their forwards are young and have potential on the International stage but that's it
I'll enjoy watching them crash and burn as always.

Personally I'm looking tickets for the Belgium game but they are like gold dust at the moment

Errr, read somewhere England had to send back tickets to UEFA for some pool game as they couldn't sell them.
Cannot see the hype in England as being any different to any other country going. Plenty on this island take great exception to England getting excited and being hopeful  about its team going to a major championship.

OgraAnDun

England's results over the past few tournaments would justify that amusement and disbelief. Irish fans learnt their lessons after 2012 and know that getting out of the group is a good result. English fans haven't learnt from 2014, and 2012, and 2010... And so on.

general_lee

How will our wee colony get on? I'd like to see them get a shock result or two to be fair. Just think it's highly unlikely...

An Watcher

They'll have to raise their game a notch or two I think. 
They had the handiest group in the competition which to be fair to them they won but in how many groups do the top seeds lose to the bottom seeds twice!!  Greece lost twice against the Faroes.  That would be like Germany losing to Gibraltar twice in our group.
Due to the fact that it is their first tournament in a long time they might raise their game though

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere