[D1] Roscommon v Mayo - 27/03/16 [3:30pm, Dr. Hyde Park]

Started by Syferus, March 13, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeog

dont mean to be rude but listening to that know all bernard flynn tonight on game on gushing about the rossies liam mc hale etc as if sam was on its way in sept get real for gods sake

larryin89

Quote from: skeog on March 15, 2016, 04:23:53 AM
dont mean to be rude but listening to that know all bernard flynn tonight on game on gushing about the rossies liam mc hale etc as if sam was on its way in sept get real for gods sake

I know it's hard to listen to and the very loud rossies themselves are going to get worse and worse but it really is better if we let them and the media blow themselves up without any counter argument at all .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Even if we don't win Sam we'd be in the same boat as the Rhubarbarians......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on March 15, 2016, 01:17:09 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 15, 2016, 12:59:00 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 15, 2016, 12:55:19 AM
During Horan's time, a lot of the energy of the team came from back to front behind a competitive middle third. Likes of Cuniiffe, Gardiner(while he was still around), Boyle, Higgins, Vaughan and Keegan ripped into teams. That was the strength of the team.
Now were are trying to remould those players into a different approach and not sure they are as effective now. Vaughan, for one, looks like he has been disempowered by new approach.
Under Horan we were never able to make long ball inside stick. Goal chances came from our running game; not long ball in.
Rochford now has to decide to persist with what he is trying to do or backtrack. Jason Doherty played better as a grinder about the pitch than in ff line. Inside this year he has looked very ordinary.  Aidan gets crowded out and when he gets his hands on ball, defenders get away with fouls against him - something I don't see changing either. Cillian will return but Cillian struggles to win long independent ball inside as well.
Rochford has a huge decision to make now. Returning players wont make such a difference imo.

Why would returning  to what wasn't good enough before with older legs be a real option Moy? Might as well stick to your guns and try something that may work rather than what we know doesn't.

What wasn t good enough before was nearly good enough and should have been good enough if a few decisions had gone our way or if a few bits of housekeeping were done better.
What's happening now is like a top golfer trying to reconstruct his swing, to get better, but ends up missing the cuts.
What appears to be happening now is that we are breaking down the game that nearly got us there while not having the ammo to make the new approach viable.
I bet they will be ready for the summer.

Syferus

It must be a strange experience for a Tyronie to see a team people don't detest.

seafoid

I don't mind if Mayo or Ros win the all Ireland. Just do it.
I'd say the atmosphere in free Athlone would be insane

highorlow

QuoteNow were are trying to remould those players into a different approach and not sure they are as effective now.

I think we gave Kerry too much respect the last day and it was clear during the dominant first 25mins that we should have done away with the sweeper system (even when we had it they cantered in for a goal). We have to give management the benefit of the doubt here though and I'd say the gooch starting influenced this tactic.

The positives I seen from what Rochford is bringing is a clear effort at a kick passing game, but as people alluded to already we need ballwinners or more confidence inside for this.

I'm sure people spotted the lovely ball into COS (i think it was SOS that sent it) in the 1st half that didn't stick, if it did the goal was on. I'd forgive the young lad for this as I think it was his 1st game against Kerry, he was devastated at the mistake also.

JDoc also took to long to win a good kicked ball around the same spell in 1st half and "postcarded" his shot that got blocked.

Our "cul-de-sac" play disappeared which is some achievement as with us you are guaranteed at least 4 turnovers per game with the like of SOS running into cul-de-sacs, the management have spotted the culprits on this and it is clear they are told to offload rather than "heads down" solo runs.

We lost our shape in the 2nd half which was likely more to do with the Kerry defense than anything we did, the management should spot this and should note that if we ran at Kerry more we would have got better rewards (Parsons and McLoughlins points come to mind). It was a strange decision I thought to bring on Andy Moran when a "runner" would have been more effective. In hindsight, starting Andy would have been better (old man gooch started and finished the game) and might have given young O'Shea a bit of confidence with him in there. I think the lesson here is that with top teams trying to get 5 points back only works if we run at them. Hopefully we learn and when the 2nd half comeback is needed against Ross we play the correct game.

The kicking game only works if we have proper foot passers with some peripheral vision, Parsons and McLoughlin are the only ones with this, SOS is a good foot passer but takes too long to look up and the chance is almost gone when he passes, Nally impressed me in this area.

We also got rid of kicking into the keepers hands, did this obvious order go against us in the 1st half? Options were there for shooters but we didn't take them.

Having looked at the highlights and reflected more on the game I think management should in fact be praised for trying and persisting with different styles, tactics and trying new players. We are not far away and with peak fitness and a few more lads back I can see major improvement.

In saying that Ross is a must win to instill some confidence, especially in the forward line. This is a game where all experiments are off and I believe we will see a different Mayo with the shackles off in the Hyde.

Also, it beats me why the inside forwards don't run out in a straight line as soon as play reaches the half forward line, this will suck out the defense and create room inside. It's a simple strategy but no team uses it. I've also heard some geniuses use the phrase "widen the field" to overcome a sweeper, I think the opposite approach is preferable, i.e., the inside line should be huddled together and then run out in unison at the right time.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

weareros

Quote from: larryin89 on March 15, 2016, 06:19:26 AM

I know it's hard to listen to and the very loud rossies themselves are going to get worse and worse but it really is better if we let them and the media blow themselves up without any counter argument at all .

Of course it will be said we are cocky and noisy anyway even if we lived in a town under Loug Gara for the next year. Plus most media are going with the angle that we are about 2 months ahead of everyone else in training. And reading Mayo blog, that's the Mayo view too. Flynn changes his mind with the wind. Last Summer he was laughing at us. This the most humble bunch of Ros players I've ever seen and been supporting since the 70s. Truth be told, a dry sod and good weather suits us, both in short supply in our own county. Look forward to seeing Mayo in the Hyde on Easter Sunday but should we be fortunate to beat Sligo in u21, if I had a choice I'd take that one first. But I expect seniors to give it all even if Div 1 status and semi final is already secured.

Kurtz

Take a chill pill its because Bernard backed them to stay up so he is rightly happy with his opinion.

And why wouldnt people want them to win trophies is it some sort of Irish begrudgery kicking in, isnt it a bit early for that at least wait another year lads  :P :o

skeog

i would be delighted if roscommon achieve an connacht title and if they were to win sam it would be a real fairytale imo

Kurtz

What show is Bernard flynn on or was it just the radio

I have read articles from him in the past
I always liked him as a player

joemamas

Quote from: Kurtz on March 15, 2016, 03:07:06 PM
What show is Bernard flynn on or was it just the radio

I have read articles from him in the past
I always liked him as a player

Really Bernard.

deiseach

Quote from: larryin89 on March 15, 2016, 06:19:26 AM

I've been bitterly disappointed in the Rossies. Lots of one-game-at-a-time stuff. Poor form.

Rossfan

I don't think even we could bate two teams at the one time.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Aidan O Shea

"You don't want to go down because next year I could be answering questions about what relevance does playing in Division II have when you are trying to win the All-Ireland," said O'Shea. "Obviously you want to stay up. For Mayo, we have been a Division I team for a long time so I wouldn't like to be part of a team that goes down. So it has a relevance, definitely it has a relevance when we are playing Roscommon next.

"I can tell you that 100 per cent I would prefer to stay in Division One