IRFU sqaud for Argentina

Started by thewobbler, April 30, 2007, 01:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: tyroneboi on May 22, 2007, 10:35:27 PM
All irish rugby fans keep Monday 28th May at 9.30 on RTE 1 free:

Inside Irish Rugby '07

Watch 'Reaching For Glory: Inside Irish Rugby '07' on Monday, 28 May, on RTÉ One at 9.30pm

It has been a historic year for Irish rugby: it was goodbye (for now) to the oldest rugby stadium in the world, wins for Ireland over the game's super-powers, Croke Park opened its doors, Ireland won the Triple Crown for the third time in four years, and they also came oh so close to winning their first Six Nations Championship...

RTÉ Sport's cameras were there every step of the way and now they bring you inside the camp to experience the season through the players' eyes.

RTÉ Sport brings you exclusive access to the dressing rooms for Ireland's wins over Australia and South Africa in the Autumn Internationals. The cameras travel around Europe and enter Croke Park amongst the players for Ireland's latest Triple Crown win.

Hear the tactics, dressing room talks and watch squad training sessions in this 52-minute documentary from the same team who made 'The Dubs: Story of a season' and 'Final Words: Brian Kerr's World Cup Story'.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/features/insideirishrugby.html

This sounds awesome - seriously cant wait. Have been reading about it and it sounds like a Living With the Lions Irish style!!

Bits of it on you tube already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcVv-xFNPuI&mode=related&search=

johnneycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 22, 2007, 06:42:09 PM

QuoteIs Tony Buckley the half bearded back row for Munster?

That half-bearded player is John O'Sullivan, Kerry Mike probably didn't know that because he generally only plays Magners League and no right-minded Munster fan would go and watch the bread and butter stuff, he's also from Kerry but learned his rugby in Kildare.

O'Sullivan was the most impressive Munster player on display the night Ulster gifted them the Magners league game up in Ravenhill.

Is he not getting a run out in either Argentina or the Churchill cup? I suppose competition is strong for the backrow at the minute and would mitigate against him. Right athletic player all the same.

Kerry Mike

The bearded fellow may also be Tim McGann though John O'Sullivan is also known to grow a bit of a beard at times. O'Sullivan is a fine prospect at Number 8 and may be the long term replacement for Anthony Foley, and will hopefully battle it out with Jamie Heaslip for the Irish Number 8 spot in years to come. His few years with Connacht have been a good learning curve for him and he is a welcome addition this season to Munster. Always good to have a Kerryman on the panel too.

QuoteKerry Mike probably didn't know that because he generally only plays Magners League and no right-minded Munster fan would go and watch the bread and butter stuff

Dinny, Have been at most home League games this year in both Limerick and Cork as a long term season ticket holder so you would be surprised what I know.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Evil Genius

Quote from: tyroneboi on April 30, 2007, 03:23:14 PM
interesting squad alright. think the majority of these lads are playing to get into the world cup squad at best. In my opinion the only guys that have a chance of getting in the team come world cup are jerry flannery an geordan murphy.

What does Neil Best have to do to get into the team? I appreciate Ireland is very well off for players at the back of the pack, but he's never been less than excellent (imo) when he has got his chance (usually only in short bursts). Sadly, I fear he is another flair player on whom the ever-cautious EOS is reluctant to take a chance, preferring instead the tried and trusted.  :(

(Players like Flannery and Murphy, whilst capable of great performances, have also been erratic/inconsistent at other times)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteWhat does Neil Best have to do to get into the team?

Well he has been in and out of the team but there is huge competition for places in the back-row and Simon Easterby has been keeping him out and Easterby had a fantastic 6 Nations.

Just look at Jamie Heaslip who has probably been the form Irish number 8 this season. He still hasn't broken through yet to the full side.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 23, 2007, 11:49:53 AM

What does Neil Best have to do to get into the team? I appreciate Ireland is very well off for players at the back of the pack, but he's never been less than excellent (imo) when he has got his chance (usually only in short bursts). Sadly, I fear he is another flair player on whom the ever-cautious EOS is reluctant to take a chance, preferring instead the tried and trusted.  :(

I wouldn't quite describe Best as a flair player at all...physical would be the word to describe him...

However he is competing with -
Easterby who comfortably beat him for Llanelli and had an excellent 6Nations
Quinlan who when not injured was brilliant for Munster

Both of the above provide a serious lineout option which best doesn't

Wallace who had an outstanding season
Jennings who was voted the 2nd best player in the ZP

Leamy who was brilliant for Ireland but not at his best for Munster
Heaslip who is the form No8 in Ireland and probably has has a better season than Leamy

Then you have Ferris, Gleeson etc also in the mix and only 3 can play and 6 will travel....

Evil Genius

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on May 23, 2007, 12:36:47 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on May 23, 2007, 11:49:53 AM

I wouldn't quite describe Best as a flair player at all...physical would be the word to describe him...

However he is competing with -
Easterby who comfortably beat him for Llanelli and had an excellent 6Nations

Both of the above provide a serious lineout option which best doesn't

Wallace who had an outstanding season
Jennings who was voted the 2nd best player in the ZP

Leamy who was brilliant for Ireland but not at his best for Munster
Heaslip who is the form No8 in Ireland and probably has has a better season than Leamy

Then you have Ferris, Gleeson etc also in the mix and only 3 can play and 6 will travel....

Fair enough, "flair" was the wrong term - I might have said "impact", or somesuch. However, my point was that whenever he has played in an Ireland shirt, he has always played very well (brilliantly, even). Nonetheless, I get the impression that regardless of how well he does, he will always be dropped in favour of other, not more obviously talented players.

By contrast, there are some individuals with whom EOS will always perservere, irrespective of their actual performances in an Irish shirt, since he knows them, and they're "reliable".

I happen to think this derives from an innate conservatism in O'Sullivan. And whilst this has served him (and Ireland) well in taking us this far i.e. genuine contenders, I fear it will ultimately prevent us ever being actual champions (Six Nations, or even World Cup).

In the end, you can't always "save your ace"; eventually, there comes a time when you have to put your best cards on the table (no pun intended) and trust that they won't be trumped.

Christ, I'm beginning to sound like a Kenny Rodgers song; I'd better go now... :-[
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Dinny Breen

QuoteEasterby who comfortably beat him for Llanelli and had an excellent 6Nations

Things like that annoy me, Best played pretty well in both games against Llanelli but his tight 5 were brutal, so quite simply you cannot compare them in that manner. Best has been dropped for Easterby because as EG suggest Conservative Eddie has his favourite sons and Easterby is one of them. Give me the more destructive and aggressive Best anytime. Anyway considering the game Jennings had against Llanelli should he not be streets ahead of Easterby, just applying your logic loike....

No he wasn't. in fact I reckon he was distinctly average and will not be travelling to the World Cup...

QuoteBoth of the above provide a serious lineout option which best doesn't

Both of the above are average tail jumpers imho

QuoteWallace who had an outstanding season

Internationally only, terrible form for Munster

QuoteJennings who was voted the 2nd best player in the ZP

Hasn't even been capped yet I think, no chance of going to the world cup..

QuoteLeamy who was brilliant for Ireland but not at his best for Munster

Far from brilliant for Ireland, poor 6 nations by his standards...

QuoteHeaslip who is the form No8 in Ireland and probably has has a better season than Leamy

Well there you go I agree with something at last  :)

The 5 back-row that should travel and will travel will be Easterby Wallace, Leamy, Best and Heaslip. EOS might bring an out and out open-side and that should be Jennings. He has however god knows why used that sh*t on a stick Mick O'Driscoll as cover for the back-row before. My own starting three would be Best, Wallace and Heaslip.....
#newbridgeornowhere

Kerry Mike

QuoteHe has however god knows why used that sh*t on a stick Mick O'Driscoll

A bit harsh there Dinny, Micko has never left down any side even Ireland when he has played for them, granted he is not a back row cover but not his fault if he is producing the goods in training and EOS throws him into the fray.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 23, 2007, 03:40:29 PM
QuoteEasterby who comfortably beat him for Llanelli and had an excellent 6Nations

Things like that annoy me, Best played pretty well in both games against Llanelli but his tight 5 were brutal, so quite simply you cannot compare them in that manner. Best has been dropped for Easterby because as EG suggest Conservative Eddie has his favourite sons and Easterby is one of them. Give me the more destructive and aggressive Best anytime. Anyway considering the game Jennings had against Llanelli should he not be streets ahead of Easterby, just applying your logic loike....

No he wasn't. in fact I reckon he was distinctly average and will not be travelling to the World Cup...

QuoteBoth of the above provide a serious lineout option which best doesn't

Both of the above are average tail jumpers imho

QuoteWallace who had an outstanding season

Internationally only, terrible form for Munster

QuoteJennings who was voted the 2nd best player in the ZP

Hasn't even been capped yet I think, no chance of going to the world cup..

QuoteLeamy who was brilliant for Ireland but not at his best for Munster

Far from brilliant for Ireland, poor 6 nations by his standards...

QuoteHeaslip who is the form No8 in Ireland and probably has has a better season than Leamy

Well there you go I agree with something at last  :)

The 5 back-row that should travel and will travel will be Easterby Wallace, Leamy, Best and Heaslip. EOS might bring an out and out open-side and that should be Jennings. He has however god knows why used that sh*t on a stick Mick O'Driscoll as cover for the back-row before. My own starting three would be Best, Wallace and Heaslip.....

Dinny

Easterby has been in outstanding form for Llanelli this season - better form than Best has been for Ulster where he has noticeably tailed off - and he provides the lineout option that Best doesn't....

When comparing Jennings to Easterby they play in different positions

Quinlan was in outstanding form at the start of the season until suspension and injury and has been in great form since then...

Wallace will go and start because he is so vital for Ireland - probably Jennings (who will be capped next week and is A team captain) will go as well as we need a 2nd No7

Leamy made maybe 2/3 mistakes for Ireland but still played extremely well in his ball carrying etc....

My personal choice would be
Leamy
Wallace
Heaslip

with Jennings on the bench but totally undestand we need a fully functioning lineout and we can't do that without a good jumper at No6.....

Dinny Breen

Just not a Quinlan fan, so my personal bias will always win through on him. Easterby has played a lot rugby for Llanelli at 7, he is similar to Wallace in that he is neither an out and out 6 or 7 but lacks Wallace's carry skills but is better on the ground a master of the dark arts but with BOD and Flash we don't need an out and out 7 hence Wallace gets my nod and I like a good aggressive hard bastard at 6 hence Best gets the nod and Heaslip is just a better 8 than Leamy and is a better line-out option. Leamy's form is not great but would be the perfect bench player as he can make an impact and cover all 3 back-row positions.

Jennings is good with a winning pack, will be interesting to see how gets on with a very average pack with Leinster next year...
#newbridgeornowhere

tyroneboi

great start for ireland and brian carney looks pretty handy!

Argentina 3

Ireland    10

ildanach

Heaslip playing well too. It looks to be a scorcher of a day there
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Redgreenery

MaroonAndWhite

22-20 to the Argies. Lack of a decent placekicker killed Ireland - Wallace went off...not a placekicker anyway to be replaced by Geordan Murphy. Gavin Duffy took over the kicks slotting one and missing another. Pack seemed to do pretty well but no coherency in backs but hardly surprising in the circumstances. Fairly ok performance without getting any of the first 15 too worried. Flannery put in some huge hits, Neil Best good bar daft binning and Heaslip had a huge match.