The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

QuoteThe Department of Finance still say they believe everything is above aboard and will fight any negative finding

And this is supposed to give us confidence???

muppet

Quote from: Declan on March 03, 2016, 04:20:04 PM
QuoteThe Department of Finance still say they believe everything is above aboard and will fight any negative finding

And this is supposed to give us confidence???

We are fully funded into the middle of next year.  :D

Our banks are fully capitalised.  :D :D

We fully expect a soft landing for our property sector.  ;D ;D ;D

Party on dude.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: Canalman on March 03, 2016, 03:57:00 PM
And the Comission/ Council / qualified majority of member states or whoever  can no doubt unendorse it . I would say that deep in the bowels of one of those treaties we voted on (eventually) there is a paragraph  to that effect.

If our fellow member states (not to mention the IRS in America)  try and shake us down, imo we are goosed. I think it will happen as well in the not too distant future.

The low corporation tax rate has served us very well , just think its days might be numbered.

Imo again.
imo too. Lots of lost diplomatic points and it stopped the Government from following more sustainable policies for the sake of short term gains.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Quote from: Canalman on March 03, 2016, 03:57:00 PM
And the Comission/ Council / qualified majority of member states or whoever  can no doubt unendorse it . I would say that deep in the bowels of one of those treaties we voted on (eventually) there is a paragraph  to that effect.

If our fellow member states (not to mention the IRS in America)  try and shake us down, imo we are goosed. I think it will happen as well in the not too distant future.

The low corporation tax rate has served us very well , just think its days might be numbered.

Imo again.
Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but you're just making stuff up.
EU countries have an absolute right to choose whatever tax rates they want, so long as its not discriminatory towards or against particular sectors. That cannot change without unanimous vote.
If there was ever going to be an attack on the 12.5% rate it would have come when we were on our knees looking for the so-called "bailout", when perhaps there was an opportunity for them to force us turkeys to vote for Christmas.
But it never even entered negotiations, because its not up for discussion.

There are lots and lots of discussions about tax, and there are ways that other countries will try and reduce our overall CT tax take - but a change in actual Irish tax rate is not one of them 

The US are actually jumping up and down at the European Commission going after the likes of Apple. 
The US could change their own rules to make us (and Netherlands, Lux, Belgium, etc) less attractive, but they won't.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hound on March 04, 2016, 09:00:00 AM
Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but you're just making stuff up.
EU countries have an absolute right to choose whatever tax rates they want, so long as its not discriminatory towards or against particular sectors. That cannot change without unanimous vote.

Exactly, and no way is the likes of Poland going to let France (say) set their tax rates.

QuoteThe US are actually jumping up and down at the European Commission going after the likes of Apple. 
The US could change their own rules to make us (and Netherlands, Lux, Belgium, etc) less attractive, but they won't.

A lot of the problem lies in the US tax system.

What Ireland should do (and has done) is embrace OECD measures to get rid of some of the more ridiculous rackets, this might even bring in more tax.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Seàn Ò Fearghail FF South Kildare elected Ceann Comhairle.
I expect all the nominees for Taoiseach ( incl Looney anti everything candidate) to be rejected and Realpolitik to begin.
Meanwhile 222 adults have become homeless in Dublin since the election.
Where's Murphy and Boyd Barrett and their protesters now?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mikehunt

Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2016, 03:25:54 PM
Seàn Ò Fearghail FF South Kildare elected Ceann Comhairle.
I expect all the nominees for Taoiseach ( incl Looney anti everything candidate) to be rejected and Realpolitik to begin.
Meanwhile 222 adults have become homeless in Dublin since the election.
Where's Murphy and Boyd Barrett and their protesters now?

How exactly is that their fault? Would have thought that would be down to Noonan and Kelly. After all they were the ones with the purse strings. I'm sure RBB and the "other lefty loons" would have prioritised homelessness over subsidising DOB's loan repayments.

How's the protest going over having to pay twice for your water? U should have stuck with the winners and came out with us at the original protests.