Your favourite song of 2015

Started by seafoid, December 24, 2015, 09:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Couldn't tell you one song released this year. Unless Bohemian Rhapsody was re released again. I know that one.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on December 25, 2015, 09:33:41 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 25, 2015, 08:51:41 PM
You realize how bad music is nowadays with threads like this.

There's probably been more good music released in the past 5-10 years than any period in history. The spread of new technology and new release venues has ensured that.

When people start thinking about how much better things were way back when they need to be very worried. You're just falling into the trap every person does as they age.

The rule of thumb is something new created or invented when someone is under 30 they think is great and anything after that they become set in their ways and suspicious of new things and find it harder to understand them. Seems to bore itself out on this forum day after day, week after week. Best to try to grasp new music than being a hurler on the ditch, it will serve you better in the long run.

I dunno about this theory Syferus. If there has been a lot of good music released in the last 5 years I haven't heard too much of it. I think modern music is awful but I can see that the standard in things like hurling, football, actually pretty much every sport except boxing have improved. I think comedy has gotten much better and more sophisticated. If you watched a stand-up comedian or most sitcoms from the 80's I'd do more cringing than laughing. And the advances in technology are fantastic. I wouldn't, as an example, prefer a 16" black and white portable tv to a 40" HD flatscreen. Movies seem to be in general getting worse as Hollywood gets more and more ridiculous and the stuff that performs well at the box office gets dumber and dumber. I think we do tend towards liking things from our youth but we can still see or hear quality when it comes along.

I'm curious to know what music from the last 5-10 years you'd rate as the best ever. Maybe I'm missing out.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 25, 2015, 10:33:21 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 25, 2015, 09:33:41 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 25, 2015, 08:51:41 PM
You realize how bad music is nowadays with threads like this.

There's probably been more good music released in the past 5-10 years than any period in history. The spread of new technology and new release venues has ensured that.

When people start thinking about how much better things were way back when they need to be very worried. You're just falling into the trap every person does as they age.

The rule of thumb is something new created or invented when someone is under 30 they think is great and anything after that they become set in their ways and suspicious of new things and find it harder to understand them. Seems to bore itself out on this forum day after day, week after week. Best to try to grasp new music than being a hurler on the ditch, it will serve you better in the long run.

I dunno about this theory Syferus. If there has been a lot of good music released in the last 5 years I haven't heard too much of it. I think modern music is awful but I can see that the standard in things like hurling, football, actually pretty much every sport except boxing have improved. I think comedy has gotten much better and more sophisticated. If you watched a stand-up comedian or most sitcoms from the 80's I'd do more cringing than laughing. And the advances in technology are fantastic. I wouldn't, as an example, prefer a 16" black and white portable tv to a 40" HD flatscreen. Movies seem to be in general getting worse as Hollywood gets more and more ridiculous and the stuff that performs well at the box office gets dumber and dumber. I think we do tend towards liking things from our youth but we can still see or hear quality when it comes along.

I'm curious to know what music from the last 5-10 years you'd rate as the best ever. Maybe I'm missing out.
Obviously the 90s had the best music EVER but some of the recent stuff isn't bad. Eg the National, Hot Chip, Gnarls Barkley

Nothing wil ever come near Fluke, The Stone Roses  or Massive Attack though.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maguire01

Some brilliant music released this year. The charts are rubbish and you dont have as many of the great big bands like the end of the last century, but it's so much easier to find good new music now.

This is a great tune from this year - Grimes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 25, 2015, 10:02:22 PM
Tutti Frutti - New Order. Exceptional.

Stuck it on for the first time today after rooting through some "best of 2015" lists.  Pretty poor fare, I thought.

seafoid

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 25, 2015, 11:07:26 PM
Some brilliant music released this year. The charts are rubbish and you dont have as many of the great big bands like the end of the last century, but it's so much easier to find good new music now.

This is a great tune from this year - Grimes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE
good stuff. She sounds a bit like Dolores O Riordan
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 26, 2015, 12:51:18 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 25, 2015, 10:02:22 PM
Tutti Frutti - New Order. Exceptional.

Stuck it on for the first time today after rooting through some "best of 2015" lists.  Pretty poor fare, I thought.

I'd have to say that I would have to give things more than one listen before coming to a definite judgement.

I'll be honest though, I haven't listened to the album in full, although it is on my to buy list. I love that single though.

Harold Disgracey

Sufjan Stevens - No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross from the superb Carrie & Lowell album.

http://youtu.be/qx1s_3CF07k

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 27, 2015, 11:13:59 AM
Sufjan Stevens - No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross from the superb Carrie & Lowell album.

http://youtu.be/qx1s_3CF07k

Quality
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".