Unioinists Just Can't Help Themselves

Started by Applesisapples, December 24, 2015, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

T Fearon

I know,sadly we are likely to be saddled with the same old failed and unattainable unionist and nationalist philosophies for some time to come.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on January 16, 2016, 10:47:03 AM
Actually it was the UUP proposing the DUP,as Nesbitt said they would at the UUP conference late last year.Thought it would have been hilarious, and embarrassing to the DUP,had they got an entry in😂.

As regards the Causeway council denying funding for rising events,is this really any different from Newry and Mourne Council naming a play park after an IRA member? The whole point about new parties emerging to forge a common N Irish identity would be the sidelining of the current tribal parties and councils would no longer be "nationalist" or "unionist" controlled.
Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

T Fearon

Yes yawning is what I usually do when I hear that one tribe in a council somewhere has done something to wind up the other tribe, which is usually inconsequential to every day life in 2016

tyroneman

Quote from: T Fearon on January 16, 2016, 10:47:03 AM
Actually it was the UUP proposing the DUP,as Nesbitt said they would at the UUP conference late last year.Thought it would have been hilarious, and embarrassing to the DUP,had they got an entry in😂.

As regards the Causeway council denying funding for rising events,is this really any different from Newry and Mourne Council naming a play park after an IRA member? The whole point about new parties emerging to forge a common N Irish identity would be the sidelining of the current tribal parties and councils would no longer be "nationalist" or "unionist" controlled.

Record attempt dismissed because it lacked 'an element of skill'......

charlieTully

Quote from: T Fearon on January 16, 2016, 02:45:19 PM
Yes yawning is what I usually do when I hear that one tribe in a council somewhere has done something to wind up the other tribe, which is usually inconsequential to every day life in 2016

You are way of the mark if you honestly believe N&M council named the park after Raymond McCreesh to wind up the other tribe, it was in honour of a man who gave the ultimate sacrifice for a cause in which he truly believed. A move voted for by both SF and SDLP members.

T Fearon

Charlie,you might believe that.The other tribe views him as a terrorist and part of an organisation that murdered their kith and kin.You can surely understand their perspective,even if you don't agree with it.

There's as much chance of unionists celebrating the Easter rising as nationalists celebrating Carson and the covenant.On it goes and will go until the failed and divisive philosophies of unionism and nationalism are sidelined.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on January 16, 2016, 05:05:54 PM
Charlie,you might believe that.The other tribe views him as a terrorist and part of an organisation that murdered their kith and kin.You can surely understand their perspective,even if you don't agree with it.

There's as much chance of unionists celebrating the Easter rising as nationalists celebrating Carson and the covenant.On it goes and will go until the failed and divisive philosophies of unionism and nationalism are sidelined.

Tony, I appreciate that you are winding up, rather than putting forward rational argument. However your windups are becoming contradictory. You have a long thread arguing that Jamie Clarke, an amateur sportsman, is somehow obliged to the people of Armagh, while in this thread and the other AI one you argue that unionists should be not only allowed, but supported, in continuing in a delinquent way towards the rest of the people of this island by continuing their sordid colonial project. It is all a bit transparent.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

I am not saying Unionists should be allowed to do anything.The fact remains that a basic tenet of the Good Friday Agreement,which was overwhelmingly endorsed by the electorate North and South,was that there be no change in the constitutional status of the North unless and until a majority of the people who live here consent.To facilitate this,the southern electorate voted overwhelmingly to jettison Articles 2 and 3,agreeing,by so doing,that Britain has a right to govern the North, never mind colonial bullshit.Irish nationalists have endorsed Britain's right to govern the North

This fact,agreed by the overwhelming majority of nationalists North and South,including Sinn Fein,precludes the possibility of a United Ireland in any of our lifetimes,so what is the point of pursuing something that is simply unattainable.

Furthermore during the negotiations that produced the Good Friday Agreement,the Irish Unity option wasn't even on the agenda.So lay the blame for this on nationalist Ireland.

smelmoth

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 07, 2016, 07:07:02 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on January 06, 2016, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 06, 2016, 01:29:22 PM
I thought it was pathetic & petty including the ROI tbh, i'd imagine they're panicking an invitation will actually arrive. All they'll be is a pawn in Belfast Council's pathetic game of Sectarianism - wtf would they want to part of it?

I think your right. I can't imagine the RoI players would have much appetite for it.

As an aside RTE carried a story about a westminster vote that (if it went true) would likely lead to GSTQ being dropped as the NI sports anthem. I would imagine that IFA would be desperate for this to go through. The opportunity to ditch the tune based upon a decision made by somebody else would be the perfect opportunity.
Not quite the story. A Labour MP is trying to start a consultation for England to have its own anthem, rather than GSTQ, for any sporting occassions where it's England rather than the UK. That may or may not happen. If it did, NI would be even more out of step than it is now, but it doesn't necessarily change anything as NI would still have to make its own decision.
I understand that. At the time of the original story an IFA official had said that they would be "duty bound" to follow suit if England dropped GSTQ. Encouraging and evidence that IFA would jump at following someone else's decision and ducking the muck that the neanderthals would throw at them if they made this call themselves.

Anyway it seems to have passed its first debate this week