Lough Derg

Started by 50fiftyball, June 01, 2015, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50fiftyball

Has anyone been lately? Any regular goers every year?

Have never did it, and I'm contemplating it this summer with my father. Would be tough but at the same time good to get away from Mobile phone & any technology for a few days...

Oh and of course for the real reason of paying penance, & sacrifice!

BennyCake

Wouldn't be religious but often wondered about it myself. Maybe the one day course might be enough.

Read a book recently about a man who did the 3 day one. Sounded like total misery.

The Bearded One

I have done it once, every summer I get the notion to go again but have never got around to it. Have been seriously thinking about it this year and will try to get for the 3 days. It's not easy, but then again that's the whole point. I found that I struggled with the no sleep more than the no food!!! I met some lovely people and it was good craic at times, especially if you find some like minded GAA people who help pass a few hours when the praying has been done.
It is what it is. Presumably.

T Fearon

Wonder that thus hasn't been outlawed in the Godless Free State on the grounds of inhumanity or something equally spurious

AZOffaly

Is this Lough Derg the same Lough Derg that has Ballina/Killaloe, Portumna, Terryglass etc on it's shores? Where is the pilgrimage held there?

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2015, 09:09:40 PM
Is this Lough Derg the same Lough Derg that has Ballina/Killaloe, Portumna, Terryglass etc on it's shores? Where is the pilgrimage held there?

Donegal AZ. The one you're talking about is much more pleasant.
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

I was thinking. The only pilgrimage I know of in that Lough Derg is when we go to Larkins in Garrykennedy for a pint :)

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2015, 09:13:22 PM
I was thinking. The only pilgrimage I know of in that Lough Derg is when we go to Larkins in Garrykennedy for a pint :)

Had one of the Munster lads a pub in Killaloe?
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

There's a few of them from Killaloe. Wood, Foley and Horan that I know of. Not sure if any of them have a pub over there, but I know Wood's sister has a restaurant. 'The Wooden Spoon'.