13 (18.6%)
No, he's a cnut
57 (81.4%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: michaelg on January 24, 2018, 08:12:57 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2016, 11:35:53 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 09, 2016, 09:54:15 PM
I agree,but unfortunately a high percentage of unionists see everything as a "concession" to Sinn Fein,regardless of how reasonable any proposition is.
I suspect some/a lot of Unionists see the existence of Nationalists/ Catholics/Irish/Taigs/Fenians as a "concession"
Says the man from Roscommon.

While I cannot confirm or deny the sheepstealer's view of some/a lot of unionists, I would be interested in your view, as a unionist, of Campbell's theory that this flags are merely a reaction to some other slight.

I ask because to an outsider it looks like Campbell is ignoring the obvious connection to an up coming anniversary.  Prima facie, playing to a tribal gallery, if you will.   It makes comparisons to McElduff less about "whataboutery" and more about rank hypocrisy.  It also suggests that the local MP is reluctant to state this obvious connection as it might involve acknowledging that Bloody Sunday was a wrong visited on "themmuns".    I then wonder if that is based on his own feelings or a fear of his own tribal gallery.

/Jim.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 25, 2018, 03:48:21 PM
I agree,but unfortunately a high percentage of unionists see everything as a "concession" to Sinn Fein,regardless of how reasonable any proposition is.
I suspect some/a lot of Unionists see the existence of Nationalists/ Catholics/Irish/Taigs/Fenians as a "concession"
The Unionist reaction to McElduff was all hypocrisy. Whilst the Kingsmill families have every right to be bitter they have been trotted out for years by some politicians for their own ends. Only Danny Kennedy has consistently championed their right to answers. Sadly like many victims on both sides time is running out for truth and it might be best to draw a line. But easy for me to say.
While I cannot confirm or deny the sheepstealer's view of some/a lot of unionists, I would be interested in your view, as a unionist, of Campbell's theory that this flags are merely a reaction to some other slight.

I ask because to an outsider it looks like Campbell is ignoring the obvious connection to an up coming anniversary.  Prima facie, playing to a tribal gallery, if you will.   It makes comparisons to McElduff less about "whataboutery" and more about rank hypocrisy.  It also suggests that the local MP is reluctant to state this obvious connection as it might involve acknowledging that Bloody Sunday was a wrong visited on "themmuns".    I then wonder if that is based on his own feelings or a fear of his own tribal gallery.

/Jim.

michaelg

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 25, 2018, 03:48:21 PM

/Jim.
Gregory Campbell is a bellend of the highest order who clearly is consistently attempting to appeal to the lowest common denominator.  His refusal to condemn the flying of  a Paratrooper flag in the run-up to Bloody Sunday is inexcusable and hypocticial given the recent furore following the Barry McElduff incident.

My original comment was in response to someone, who in all likelihood, does not work with / personally know / work with / live beside many people from the unionist community.

I don't and never have voted for the DUP.  Whilst many do, it's too easy to conclude that all unionist DUP voters are the same.  I would imagine a significcant proportion vote for them due to the sectarian headcount nature of NI politics.  By the same token, I would also imagine that not all SF voters would be that comfortable with the physical force republicanism previously employed by Sinn Fein / IRA.

Ronnie

That's true.  Most SF supporters would probably agree that having a law based on a religion is difficult to justify e.g. the sale of alcohol on Good Friday.  Most DUP supporters would probably be of the same mind.  But the DUP leadership still impose their morality on the people of NI.  Unless there's a second referendum on Brexit in NI, the DUP will have achieved their 1998 objective of smashing the Good Friday Agreement.  In any event, hypocrisy has never been in short supply here.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: general_lee on January 25, 2018, 01:46:18 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on January 25, 2018, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 24, 2018, 06:24:05 PM
Also stalford who is apparently 33 or 34 but looks about 60s. (Genuinely!)
carla lockhart in the same boat.  Sammy morrison from tuv as well
Carla Lockhart doesn't look old she's just got a face for radio. The other boy is just fat

should have clarified - I wasn't making the point that either looks old - I was alluding to the fact that they are early 30s yet are still as bigoted as Fleggory/Sammy Wilson etc
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience