Poland and Ukraine to host Euro 2012

Started by An Fear Rua, April 18, 2007, 11:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

wont affect anyone on here, unless of course you employ casual labour
Its Grim up North

GalwayBayBoy

Hot women and cheap drink. Sounds like a good decision to me.

Italians are raging apparently.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 18, 2007, 11:23:32 AM
Hot women and cheap drink. Sounds like a good decision to me.

Italians are raging apparently.

well they may have had a better chance if they didnt have a match fixing scandal ( and subsequently downgraded punishments after pressure from most powerful club), have fans who kill policemen,fans who stab foreign visitors  and policemen who batter foreign visitors indiscriminately live on TV beamed around the world.

Its hard to see how anything about Italian football can been seen positively at the moment.

Its Grim up North

realredhandfan

Its hard to see how anything about Italian football can been seen positively at the moment.
Oh yeah and they are world cup champions too.

An Fear Rua

im sure its great comfort for all the people to know they got done by the World Champs. ;)

saying that the poles are not sqeaky clean either. The Government recently sacked the FA and Septic Bladder had to go inand "resolve " it

Poland and Ukraine have been chosen to host the 2012 European Championships.
Italy were widely expected to win the Uefa vote in Cardiff, with another joint bid from Croatia and Hungary also in the running.

However, Italy's bid was overshadowed by last season's referee corruption scandal and their on-going problems with football-related crowd trouble.

It will be the first time that either Poland or Ukraine have hosted a major football championship.

"Finally, the big event is going to the countries which have had no opportunities to improve football," said Polish Football Association chairman Michal Listkiewicz.

"This big tournament will be a milestone in the common history of two Slavic nations."

Poland and Ukraine's bid team staged an impressive presentation on Tuesday, featuring Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko, Liverpool keeper Jerzy Dudek as well as boxer Vitali Klitschko, former Olympic champion Sergei Bubka and Ukraine president Victor Yushchenko.

Nonetheless, the bid was still considered the outsider of the three, partly because of a recent match-fixing scandal in Poland.

The Polish government has also been warned by Uefa and Fifa about political interference in the country's football governing body.

Nigel Adderley, BBC Five Live's reporter in Cardiff, said: "It's a massive slap in the face to Italian football. The complete outsiders will host Euro 2012, and Italy are beaten. "Michel Platini looked shocked when he announced the decision.

"Only last night, members of the Uefa executive committee seemed to be saying they would go for a safe pair of hands.

"They were hinting that although Italy has had problems, they still felt it is place that can develop a tournament and has the experience."

Uefa chief executive Platini is known to be keen to redress the balance of power in football throughout Europe and he appears to be supported by Uefa's 14-man executive committee.

According to Uefa sources, Poland and Ukraine won in the first round of voting with eight of the 12 votes while four went to Italy and none to Croatia and Hungary.

It will be first time the former eastern bloc has hosted the tournament since Yugoslavia in 1976.

Games will be played in four Ukrainian cities (Dnipropetrovsk, Donetsk, Kiev and Lviv) and six Polish venues (Gdansk, Krakow, Poznan, Warsaw, Wroclaw and Chorzow).

Kiev's Olympic Stadium, used to host football at the 1980 Moscow Olympics, is the proposed venue for the final.

The tournament will feature 16 teams, although Uefa is looking into increasing that to 24 from 2016 onwards.
Its Grim up North

SammyG

Quote from: An Fear Rua on April 18, 2007, 11:37:02 AMpolicemen who batter foreign visitors indiscriminately live on TV beamed around the world.

Totally agree with the rest of your comments but I think this one has been shown to be nonsense, once the uneditted footage was seen. The supporters charged, threw chairs and bottles, kicked, punched and spat at the peelers, who then responded with batons. Hardly an indiscriminate battering.

dubnut

Quote from: SammyG on April 18, 2007, 12:03:39 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on April 18, 2007, 11:37:02 AMpolicemen who batter foreign visitors indiscriminately live on TV beamed around the world.

Totally agree with the rest of your comments but I think this one has been shown to be nonsense, once the uneditted footage was seen. The supporters charged, threw chairs and bottles, kicked, punched and spat at the peelers, who then responded with batons. Hardly an indiscriminate battering.

Havent seen unedited footage Sammy are you talking about the United or Spurs fans?

Kerry Mike

Ukraine is some craic, very cheap beer, good looking women, but lots of mafia tyes about and its riddled with corruption. Not unlike Italy really.

So thats it then, all the Poles here will be heading home shortly to take part in the big construction of new stadium and infrastructure needed.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

SammyG

Quote from: dubnut on April 18, 2007, 12:05:55 PM

Havent seen unedited footage Sammy are you talking about the United or Spurs fans?

United fans, Spurs weren't in Italy.

full back

Hardly suprising the Italinas didnt get it, what with the match fixing & violence at games.
Good enough for the greasy pr1cks

An Fear Rua

every single one of them?? that would obviously include my mates father, 68 years of age, who was beaten up while he sat on the seat, ended up with an overnight stay in hospital and a brain scan, or maybe that woman from UWS who had her camera snatched by the police and was whacked round the head repeatedly when trying to get it back, or numerous other examples of people that were not inciting violence who were whacked.

The peelers whacked anyone near them, thats indiscriminate
Its Grim up North

SammyG

Quote from: An Fear Rua on April 18, 2007, 12:18:22 PM

every single one of them?? that would obviously include my mates father, 68 years of age, who was beaten up while he sat on the seat, ended up with an overnight stay in hospital and a brain scan, or maybe that woman from UWS who had her camera snatched by the police and was whacked round the head repeatedly when trying to get it back, or numerous other examples of people that were not inciting violence who were whacked.

The peelers whacked anyone near them, thats indiscriminate

The video evidence http://mediacenter.corriere.it/MediaCenter/action/player?uuid=7e20c102-e436-11db-8b30-0003ba99c53b would suggest that those who got hit were 'involved'. I don't see any pensioners or oul girls in this footage but I wasn't there so I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

dubnut

Quote from: SammyG on April 18, 2007, 12:09:23 PM
Quote from: dubnut on April 18, 2007, 12:05:55 PM

United fans, Spurs weren't in Italy.

Where did the Spurs fans get a few smacks?
Dont really follow the ould soccer.

Syd The Sailor

Typical English supporters, acting the maggot but when they get a smack they start whining. For once i agree with SammyG.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

blasmere

Quote from: Syd The Sailor on April 18, 2007, 12:49:49 PM
Typical English supporters, acting the maggot but when they get a smack they start whining. For once i agree with SammyG.

Not all of them act the maggot.

The Spanish police battered a Spurs fan who was in a wheelchair, totally out of order.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree