"The Ploughing"

Started by 5 Sams, September 25, 2014, 11:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Was at it for the first time ever yesterday. Two words "Holy Fcuk". 125,000 people at it. Last time I was in a crowd like that was when the Pope came to Drogheda. In the space of 15 minutes managed to see Michéal Martin, George Hook, Sharon Shannon, Pat Spillane and Mary Kennedy.....and Pat the Boll*x was the only one getting any attention :D

Unbelievable event.
The Aristocrat Years

Under Lights

Said to the Mrs yesterday that its something I plan to go to next year. What other activities happen at it besides the actual ploughing? Is there stalls and other craic at it?

5 Sams

Quote from: Under Lights on September 25, 2014, 11:15:27 AM
Said to the Mrs yesterday that its something I plan to go to next year. What other activities happen at it besides the actual ploughing? Is there stalls and other craic at it?
You name it it's there. Have a look. http://www.npa.ie/

I simply haven't seen anything like if in my life. Apparently it is the biggest outdoor event of its kind in Europe.
The Aristocrat Years

Under Lights

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 25, 2014, 11:21:20 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on September 25, 2014, 11:15:27 AM
You name it it's there. Have a look. http://www.npa.ie/

I simply haven't seen anything like if in my life. Apparently it is the biggest outdoor event of its kind in Europe.

Couple help but think of Fr Ted when I read this.

armaghniac

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 25, 2014, 11:05:44 AM
Was at it for the first time ever yesterday. Two words "Holy Fcuk". 125,000 people at it. Last time I was in a crowd like that was when the Pope came to Drogheda. In the space of 15 minutes managed to see Michéal Martin, George Hook, Sharon Shannon, Pat Spillane and Mary Kennedy.....and Pat the Boll*x was the only one getting any attention :D

Unbelievable event.

Did you see anyone ploughing?

Cracking weather for it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

I was there a couple of years ago and a plough was one of the few things I didn't see.

Someone on Morning Ireland this morning was saying yesterday saw the biggest ever attendance at an outdoor event in Ireland. They obviously never heard of the Pope's gig or O'Connell's monster meetings. Not to mention the night the first sputnik went over, which is my bet for the record.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteSomeone on Morning Ireland this morning was saying yesterday saw the biggest ever attendance at an outdoor event in Ireland

Typical lazy auld shite reporting from RTE. Some young yoke from SoCoDu who hasn't a baldy prob.

I was one of the 1,000,000 outside in The Phoenix Park in 1979. Jazes, The Rats put on some gig that day........

Orior

Back in my day, the best ploughmen were those that ploughed the straightest lines at the correct depth.

Do tractors now have GPS and cruise control and altitude analysers that make ploughing easy/easier?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Feckitt

Is it similar to the Balmoral Show?

johnneycool

Quote from: Feckitt on September 25, 2014, 02:22:12 PM

Sort of, but I don't think there's too many four legged animals at 'de ploughing'

Old yeller

Quote from: johnneycool on September 25, 2014, 04:44:35 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on September 25, 2014, 02:22:12 PM

Sort of, but I don't think there's too many four legged animals at 'de ploughing'
Plenty of 2 legged ones!

Rossfan

Usual sh1te in this Country - everyone is going so we'll have to go too. :-[
Most of what goes to it probably never saw a plough in their lives - and some maybe never a field either.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ziggy90

Quote from: Rossfan on September 25, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
Usual sh1te in this Country - everyone is going so we'll have to go too. :-[
Most of what goes to it probably never saw a plough in their lives - and some maybe never a field either.

You ever seen one?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

laoislad

Anyone go this year yet? I'm heading there tomorrow.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Gerry Adams was at it today, denying everything.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians