How does overpaying interest only mortgage work?

Started by Zip Code, September 13, 2014, 11:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zip Code

If you are only paying interest, what do you overpay, i.e. does the capital start to come down after a period?

Rois

Any payment should theoretically come straight off the capital.

Zip Code

So if my mortgage is £250 interest only on say 100k, I owe 100k every year but if I pay an extra £200 a month after year one I owe 97,600 etc etc.  If my capital goes down year on year will the £250 part of the interest only remain as the mortgage was initially for 100k?

T Fearon

You cannot "overpay interest" it is a fixed amount.Stick to insults about religion

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 13, 2014, 12:01:53 PM
You cannot "overpay interest" it is a fixed amount.Stick to insults about religion

I think you will find you very much can, stick to advocating the facilitators of child abuse.

T Fearon

If you have a fixed charge you cannot "overpay" it, contradiction in terms.

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 13, 2014, 12:38:34 PM
If you have a fixed charge you cannot "overpay" it, contradiction in terms.

You are covering yourself with glory on many threads now Tone.  ;)

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Zip Code on September 13, 2014, 11:27:34 AM
So if my mortgage is £250 interest only on say 100k, I owe 100k every year but if I pay an extra £200 a month after year one I owe 97,600 etc etc.  If my capital goes down year on year will the £250 part of the interest only remain as the mortgage was initially for 100k?

Your interest payments each month will start to reduce as soon as you start to reduce the capital you owe.

bennydorano

Am i missing something? With interest only mortgages you are not repaying capital, therefore you cannot (should not) overpay MONTHLY as you will NEVER be paying off the principal amount. The only way to reduce the monthly payment is to reduce the Principal amount with a lump sump payment or change to a Capital & interest mortgage (mine is 10k in any calendar year without penalty).

I could of course be badly mistaken.

Zip Code

Your mortgage payment is to pay interest only - but if you most certainly can overpay to reduce your capital.

Zip Code

Found this.  http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/05/15/10-tips-for-interest-only-borrowers/

4. Overpay your mortgage One way to deal with an interest-only shortfall is to overpay your mortgage while rates are low. This will reduce your outstanding balance, giving you less to repay at the end of your term.

Mark Harris, chief executive of mortgage broker SPF Private Clients, explains: "With interest rates at record lows, sensible borrowers will take advantage of lower mortgage payments by using the cash they are 'saving' each month to overpay on the mortgage and reduce the capital they owe. Most lenders will let you overpay by up to 10 per cent of the mortgage amount per annum without penalty."

armaghniac

You need to assess whether the overpayment will be applied to the account immediately or only periodically e.g. once a year. In the latter case you'd do better with a regular savings account and then once a year make a lump sum payment.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

PadraicHenryPearse

as per previous comment you need to check if your overpayments are taken into account immediately or only at year end. Only when the account goes through payment change will you see any change in your interest payment.

Hardy

Zip - does your mortgage lender have a phone number?

( :D )

quit yo jibbajabba

thank christ fearon doesnt work in a financial institution of any sort  ;D