How well do you know Ireland?

Started by armaghniac, September 08, 2014, 06:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Quote from: Sidney on September 11, 2014, 12:39:56 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on September 11, 2014, 12:09:32 PM
It is not seperated by a river, it is seperated by Carlingford Lough!  Much the same as that Clare does not border Kerry or Donegal does not border Sligo.

Can anyone tell me where abouts in Down would you live, for you to live on the border?  No you can't!  End of!
So Armagh has a coastline?

Yes, the shortest coastline of any county in Ireland.

Sidney

Quote from: Feckitt on September 11, 2014, 12:41:30 PM
It is not seperated by a river, it is seperated by Carlingford Lough!  Much the same as that Clare does not border Kerry or Donegal does not border Sligo.

Can anyone tell me where abouts in Down would you live, for you to live on the border?  No you can't!  End of!

Does Kilkenny have a coastline?

Hardy

Quote from: Sidney on September 11, 2014, 12:44:40 PM

Yep. It's where they bury all the footballs.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Feckitt on September 11, 2014, 12:37:45 PM
Where it narrows between Warrenpoint and Newry is not the Down/Louth border, it's the Down/Armagh border.

Really? (That's not sarcasm by the way). It looks on maps as if that is louth. I'll see if I can paste an image I'm looking at here.

Here you are. This is from Mapquest or one of those sites. The Green Line is the border to the wee six. It looks like it gets narrow just in from Warranpoint, but before Armagh comes into the equation.

Sidney

Quote from: Hardy on September 11, 2014, 12:46:02 PM
Quote from: Sidney on September 11, 2014, 12:44:40 PM

Yep. It's where they bury all the footballs.
But they don't have any footballs to bury.

Sidney

What I've gathered from this discussion is that Pairc Ui Chaoimh is actually by the sea, not the river, given that it is below the last bridge on the Lee.

AZOffaly

Is this true???  About Clanrye River? If so, it looks like Narrow Water is between Louth and Down. Wasn't there a bridge mooted for there?

QuoteNarrow Water Castle (Irish: Caisleán an Chaoil;[1] Ulster-Scots: Narra Wattèr)[2] is a famous 16th-century tower house and bawn near Warrenpoint in Northern Ireland. It is beside the A2 road and on the County Down bank of the Clanrye River, which enters Carlingford Lough a mile to the south. Narrow Water Castle was given into state care in 1956. It is a state care historic monument in the townland of Narrow Water, in Newry and Mourne District Council district, at grid ref: J1256 1939.[3]

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 11, 2014, 12:34:10 PM
Maybe so. But in my opinion, if you can puck a sliotar from one side to the other, you can fairly say it borders Louth. It's fair narrow there just in from Warranpoint.

Yes, I think that's the official measurement used by that Ordenance Survey crowd. For catholic areas, anyway  ;D

AZOffaly

And rightly so :) The actual measurement is 1 BCP. 1 Brendan Cummins Puck.

armaghniac

I posted the link to the OS map earlier, what more do you want?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 11, 2014, 11:45:50 AM
Quote from: Feckitt on September 10, 2014, 09:56:13 PM
Jesus lads it's very simple, you cannot drive or walk from Louth to Down without going through Armagh.  Therefore Down does not border Louth.

So if they build a bridge from Carlingford over to Down, then it suddenly does border? I think a river is a natural border, almost by definition. That's how borders are drawn a lot down the country. Offaly borders Galway via a river, and Roscommon. Tipp borders Clare. The list goes on. I don't think the fact that there is a bridge there means there's a border. If the bridge in Shannonbridge got knocked down, would we no longer border Roscommon?

You must resist the temptation.
MWWSI 2017