'Punch a Jew' GAA star in criminal investigation

Started by Agent Orange, August 20, 2014, 11:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

A GAA star is facing a criminal investigation after sending a Tweet urging people to "punch a Jew".

Former Tyrone player Tommy McGuigan has apologised for the Tweet, but the PSNI has confirmed it is investigating the comment as a potential hate crime.

The All-Ireland winner had tweeted: "If you are lucky enough to know or work with a Jew, punch him right on the nose tomorrow."

He has since deleted the Tweet, claiming it was written as a joke and was meant as "nothing serious". The comment was originally posted on July 29 at the height of the Israeli offensive on Gaza.

It was picked up and denounced by Israeli media, with some outlets confusing Gaelic football with soccer. One denounced the Ardboe clubman under the headline: 'Soccer star urges fans to punch Jews'.

Threats

McGuigan said he received threats afterwards.

"I apologise for any offence caused," said the 29-year-old. He said he had been watching news coverage of the death and destruction in Gaza when he sent the Tweet.

"It was meant as a joke. You're sitting watching the news and you're thinking this is not right. I am not in the public eye and it was just a joke to the people I hang around with."

However, the footballer said he accepted that he had caused offence and would take more care in future. McGuigan has faced the wrath of the Jewish media. He said one London-based Jewish columnist requested to speak with him in order to confront him over his comment. "I said it was meant as a joke, nothing serious. He agreed to let it go," he said.

However, the PSNI is now investigating the Tweet.

armaghniac

Do some people lose the plot completely on Twitter? This isn't even remotely funny and was always bound to come to light.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

I think some lads think that only their friends see it. Twitter and Facebook are dangerous that way. You have to assume that everyone will see everything you say, and work from there.

God14

Tommys account was private though, so only people he approved should have been able to see it

AQMP

Quote from: God14 on August 20, 2014, 11:43:40 AM
Tommys account was private though, so only people he approved should have been able to see it

Does he approve of the PSNI?

AZOffaly

True, but he has over 1000 followers according to that link Deiseach put up, so he's probably not that vigilant.

deiseach

I'd say the privacy thing is a recent development.

Never beat the deeler

Only use Twitter to read tweets, rather than post myself so I'm not sure, but what about when someone retweets or responds, quoting his initial posts - their followers would then be able to see etc
Hasta la victoria siempre

armaghniac

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on August 20, 2014, 11:52:38 AM

Only use Twitter to read tweets, rather than post myself so I'm not sure, but what about when someone retweets or responds, quoting his initial posts - their followers would then be able to see etc

Exactly. Some of the followers retweeted it to someone else, meaning that there are several people without judgement. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on August 20, 2014, 11:52:23 AM
I'd say the privacy thing is a recent development.

That did cross my mind alright. He might want to do a cleanup as well.

God14

Quote from: armaghniac on August 20, 2014, 11:56:22 AM

Exactly. Some of the followers retweeted it to someone else, meaning that there are several people without judgement.

His account was private at the time. His followers wouldn't have been able to retweet a message that was private, but screenshots of said message eventually made way into public domain.

deiseach

Quote from: armaghniac on August 20, 2014, 11:56:22 AM

Or several people who approve of the sentiment.

Kidder81

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2014, 11:49:43 AM

True, but he has over 1000 followers according to that link Deiseach put up, so he's probably not that vigilant.

Aye made private after he knew he was in the shit.

God14

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 20, 2014, 12:06:06 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2014, 11:49:43 AM

Aye made private after he knew he was in the shit.

It was definitely private at time he posted. 100%.